dark brown vomit !??
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: dark brown vomit !??

mistarkos is offline Senior Member

Defaultdark brown vomit !??

Cassie had her meal at 18:15'. At 20:40' she took all the food out in a dark brown puke. At 23:40' she puked twice a lot of dark brown liquid.

This is the first time I see a dark brown puke. It's not the same gray-light beige color like before.

I will call the vet in the morning since it's midnight now.

Any ideas what causes the dark brown vomiting? Is it normal?

If dogs do not go to heaven, then I prefer to follow them where they go.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

I am wondering if it is from you changing her food? It doesn't sound like Acana is good for her. I would be switching back. Since the food is dark brown, it is probably that. Since she is vomiting and has gas, I would not leave her on that food another day if it were me.
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

Diesel_Dawg is offline Senior Member

Was it pure liquid puke or undigested kibble? Unless she got into something it is quite possible it was because of the kibble. Acana could be too rich for her - it is a rich food so you should have adjusted the amount you give her. How long has she been on Acana? Gas and soft poop are also signs of a dog's digestive system adjusting to a new food period.

You need to decide what to feed her, consider your options carefully, make your decision based on what you know of your dog, the types of things she can tolerate and does well on rather than making a decision based on what a dog food advisor site says or what others feed their dogs.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I called the vet this morning and he told me the dark brown vomiting might be internal bleeding in her stomach. Blood int heir stomach becomes brown. He asked me if she ate something big that might caused her bleeding. He also told me to check the color of her poops. If they are black that means she has a stomach bleeding and take her for x-rays to see what's in her stomach. Also no food for her today.

Her poop in the afternoon was brown and normal. No soft poop.
    I still keep watching her.

Pro Plan was also brown food but when she was vomiting it was like grey and beige.

I'm seriously thinking about her food. She didn't have gases on Pro Plan (lamb). I'm confuse on what to do now. Shall I give her Acana (lamb) or go back to Pro Plan???

Diesel_Dawg is offline Senior Member

Diesel puked all the time on ProPlan, it was the colour of kibble for the most part.

When people have internal bleeding their vomit looks like coffee grinds, not sure if that is the same with dogs? Don't see why it wouldn't be the same. What was the consistency of her puke? Liquid, or chunky with kibble, or grainy like coffee grinds?

Do as the vet instructed, whatever made her sick her stomach is unsettled. Next meal should be rice and chicken, give her half what you normally would in a meal then give the other half a few hours later. Slowly reintroduce food.

Why did you stop ProPlan?

georgie is offline Senior Member

I must have missed why you switched to Acana. If cassie was doing well on Pro Plan she should stay on what works for her. I switched my girls to Wellness. I think it is a really good food but it must have been too rich for them because midway through the switch their stools became very loose. I know feed Pro Plan Selects because it works for them. Good poops, no ear infections, great coats. The Selects has no corn, wheat or soy in it. But you have to feed what works best for your dog.

smokey is offline Senior Member

ProPlan works really well for Smokey, too. I tried Innova and couldn't get a solid poop. Smokey will puke if I let him eat like a turbo vacuum. I put my hands in his dish when he's eating and I put a huge rock in his bowl to try and slow him down. Follow your vets instructions and I hope it gets worked out for Cassie.
    Smokey 4/25/2012

The first puke was chunky with kibble. The 2nd and 3rd was pure deep brown liquid.

Ok, here is why I switched to Acana.
    I was feeding her Pro Plan Puppy Large Breed Athletic with lamb. Then one day I went to get another package to a ver near my house. I asked him about Pro Plan Robust (chicken) and he said that I could give her that one. So I thought since it's the same brand it should be ok. I haven't thought and I didn't know that I should be concerned on the ingredients and not the brand.
    So I took it but I didn't make the switch slowly because it was the same brand. After a few days I saw Cassie rubbing her body on the wall. Plus she had soft stools and an ear infection. So I guessed it was the food. BUT I also didn't know that if dogs get wet, they rub their body and their head to dry off. Cassie was using her pool those days and when she was out of the pool she was rubbing her body on the wall. BUT I thought it was itching from the food.

So I thought to change food and in my search I ended up with Acana because it was Biologically Appropriate and it seemed healthier food than other brands.

georgie is offline Senior Member

I wonder if Pro Plan has different names for their foods in different countries. Is it hard to get choices of dog food in Cyprus? I had my girls on regular pro Plan Chicken & Rice, then they changed to the shredded blend & I didn't like it. That is when I went to Pro Plan Selects. It is hard to know if it was the food if she was swimming & wet, mine rub & roll in the grass when they are wet, or rub against walls. Plus you need to know if it was the lamb or chicken that might bother her.
    It is tough when you get on that food merry-go-round. I hope you find something that Cassie does well on. That is the most important thing...what works for your girl.

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

I would go back to the original proplan. She was doing well on it.
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast