Puppy Strangles

Thread: Puppy Strangles

labbieRN is offline Junior Member

DefaultPuppy Strangles

My nine week old pup "Major" was just diagnosed with strangles. He started having issues walking, like his joints were aching a couple of days ago. The vet initially thought he had a soft tissue injury from jumping off a chair. XRays were normal. He started being more sleepy and not acting "puppy like". He also had his vaccines a little over a week ago. I've been in constant contact with his breeder who has been phenomenal. Last night his temp got up to 103.6. We got it down with cool water but this morning it was back up. Met the breeder at the vet. He was just starting to have bumps in his ears and swollen lymph nodes. Vet started him on antibiotics and steroids. My breeder is taking him back with her for a week or so to help nurse him back to health and help keep him quiet as I have 2 older labs and a 5 yr old son in the house. Scary when you don't know what's wrong with your new baby! The vet said we caught it really early for which I am very thankful.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

smokey is offline Senior Member

You have a good breeder! It is scary when something is wrong with your baby! Sending get well quickly thoughts to your puppy. Hopefully catching it so soon will minimize the severity of his strangles. Poor little guy.
    Smokey 4/25/2012

labbieRN is offline Junior Member

She is indeed a great breeder! My other labs were all from Rescue, so when I decided to have a pup I searched high and low for the right one and waited almost a year for the right puppy. Thanks for the get well wishes! I too hope catching it as early as we did minimizes it.