Stop...Thief!

Thread: Stop...Thief!

rickr is offline Junior Member

DefaultStop...Thief!

Hi all, this is my first post here. I'm Rick, and my "puppy" is a 2 1/2 y/o black lab named Enzo. He was a rescue from a shelter, and I've had him since he was about 8 weeks old. He is an awesome dog. Enzo, however, has become quite the thief after aquiring a taste for table food (thanks to my wife!). A few nights ago it was the huge ring of RAW sausage that was about to be BBQed. He swiped it an devoured it in about 5 seconds! I have been monitoring his stool, which was a bit loose, but relatively fine; and he hasn't vomited. Apparently, it hasn't effected him in the least, but I will keep a close eye on him for signs of infection. Last week it was the chicken carcass from the garbage...bones and all! Yesterday it was my Turkey breast lunch sandwich. Grrrr....Its a good thing he's cute!

IMG_8237.jpg
    Last edited by rickr; 09-22-2012 at 12:46 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Samson is offline Senior Member

Cooked chicken is a real no no ! Cooked bones splinter and can pierce the gut !

He's trying to train YOU to put everything out of reach.

I know that you are being light hearted about the thieving, but you do need to control it before he does himself some damage !

My garbage can in the house is on the worktop because of this.

ps They are all cute :-)

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

He's a cute dog!

The answers you are universally going to get here are:

1. Dog proof your house. You know you can't leave food within his reach - so don't let that happen. He can't be trusted - so any theft that happens is the fault of the people who should know better.

2. Get into an obedience class where you can train your dog to have better manners. He's not a street survivor who had to find food on his own, so the only reason he is raiding the garbage and counter surfing is because he has not been trained not to. You can correct this behavior with enough effort.

Colin is right - this may be a little funny now, but it is potentially quite dangerous. Unless you have 5K available for abdominal surgery, you need to get his behavior issue addressed asap.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

rickr is offline Junior Member

Yes, I know I am being light hearted, but rest assured, I am taking this seriously. The WIFE is really the one who needs training! Enzo has never done this until a few weeks ago, when my wife thought it would be a good idea to give him some table food. NOW she needs to remember to keep all food and garbage out of reach. Other than these 3 specific incidents, he really is well behaved. I certainly don't blame the dog.

Quote Originally Posted by rickr View Post
    Yes, I know I am being light hearted, but rest assured, I am taking this seriously. The WIFE is really the one who needs training! Enzo has never done this until a few weeks ago, when my wife thought it would be a good idea to give him some table food. NOW she needs to remember to keep all food and garbage out of reach. Other than these 3 specific incidents, he really is well behaved. I certainly don't blame the dog.

Sounds as though you are in control ! Cut off your wife's privileges until she learns ! :-)

Like Sharon said vets are expensive and pups are precious !