Orijen large breed puppy and loose stool, what to change to?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Orijen large breed puppy and loose stool, what to change to?

Mirage is offline Junior Member

DefaultOrijen large breed puppy and loose stool, what to change to?

Don Carlos is 9 months old and has been on Orijen large breed puppy food.
    I am slightly concerned about it and wonder if I should change his food. He has now been on this food for months so he is totally used to it but from the very beginning he has been very smelly (farts a lot), his poo is hard in the morning but has to go immideatly again and it´s soft and the rest of the day he goes at least another 3 - 4 times, all soft. He also eats a lot of grass and if he gets a chance fruit.

He is very healthy looking, slim and muscular, 25kg´s, energetic, always playful, all in all he seems very happy. But his poo business does not seem normal.

What would you recommend I do? I hear more dogs have this problem with Orijen food, do you think I should start him on adult food or maybe a special food? Would you keep feeding him Orijen if it was your own dog?

One of the issues is that we live in Austria so most of the American special foods are not available here.

thanks for your help,

Tom & DC

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

justine is offline Senior Member

I'm not very familiar with Orijen, but I know some of their foods are higher in protein and fat than other similar foods. Some dogs (including my dogs) do not tolerate those high levels and they had soft stools the entire time they were on the foods.

Your pup is old enough to switch to adult dog food, but I would recommend avoiding large breed formulas if you can. Most of them are just a financial gimmick.

Do you know which other brands are carried in Austria? I currently feed Royal Canin Maxi Adult and Canidae Pureland (different dogs). You could also look for Purina Pro Plan formulas as well.

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

He is old enough to go to an adult formula (or all life stages - ALS). I would not keep my dog on a food that produced gassiness.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

dek
    dek is offline Senior Member

I switched mine from Orijen to their other brand Acana and had better "poo results" with that. I'm currently feeding Fromm and Acana, but I'm not sure what they're selling in Austria.

my2labs is offline Senior Member

I went from Orijen to Earthborn and Abbey absolutely loves it. I get her the Great Plains blend with bison and she can't get enough. My puppy Mo is on Fromm's and his poo is nice and solid

Sam 9-27-07

Mojo 7-6-12

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

I have heard this about Orijen. I have not used it, partially because I heard these kinds of complaints. I feed Canidae grain free. She gets Pure Land or Pure Sea on a rotating basis. I agree, you no longer need puppy formula. It might help with the poops if you get a can of pure pumpkin, not the pie filling mixture, and give a couple good sized spoonfuls a couple times a day. In a day or two it will usually level things off, and you can switch foods.
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

Mirage is offline Junior Member

Thanks for all the replies, I´m going to try Acana and hope that the lower protein levels will help us out.

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

Acana is known to be a rich food and can cause loose stools and gastric upset in some dogs.
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

Diesel_Dawg is offline Senior Member

Our dogs are all so different!! Diesel is doing fabulous on Acana, sister product of Orijen, and did horribly on ProPlan that so many others do great on. Take into consideration protein, fat, ingredients (like the protein source - some dogs do not tolerate chicken) and ingredients being grains which can cause allergies and digestive upset. Finding a food that works well with your dog is such a pain, but so worth it!

Nutshell is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by Diesel_Dawg View Post
    Our dogs are all so different!! Diesel is doing fabulous on Acana, sister product of Orijen, and did horribly on ProPlan that so many others do great on. Take into consideration protein, fat, ingredients (like the protein source - some dogs do not tolerate chicken) and ingredients being grains which can cause allergies and digestive upset. Finding a food that works well with your dog is such a pain, but so worth it!
    Acana is FANTASTIC! Rocco is thriving on it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast