Changing my labs dog food...Need knowledgable advice please

Thread: Changing my labs dog food...Need knowledgable advice please

mikhailamiller is offline Junior Member

DefaultChanging my labs dog food...Need knowledgable advice please

I have a 7 1/2 month old intact male lab and i am considering changing his food. I feed him science diet until he was about 4 months old cus thats what the breeder was feeding. He was having constant diarhea so after a vet check i switched him over to Canine Cavier which i thought was a good food but he keeps biting his paw which i read was a sign of a wheat or grain allergy? So considering switching foods again. Price is not an issue when it comes to my big guy. I want him to have the best quality of life. So are there any good brands you can recommend. I am also just starting him on field training so preferrably a dog food that will give him all the energy and nutrients he will need. I want to stick to one brand after i make the switch. Thanks so much

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

Paw licking can be a sign of allergies. It could be food, or even environmental. Has he had any ear infections? Often allergic dogs get them as well as hair loss and scratching. We started having problems with Sophie after she was about 4 months old. Repeated ear infections, scratching and hair loss. Our vet said to change her food, that was the best place to start, since environmental allergies are so difficult to in point. Our vet said to chose a quality food with the basic protein being one she had not had before and to go grain free. We switched to a salmon based food that is grain free. Within 2 weeks her hair was growing back and she has a gorgeous coat. No more itching and her ear infections have stopped. She did have 1 mild one, but we had forgot to dry her ears after swimming. Anyway, we have had Sophie on several grain free formulas. She is now 17 months. She is eating Canidae Pure Land right now. Canine Cavier is a quality food, but it may have ingredients he's allergic to. The only way to tell is to change the food, and feed nothing else for 6 weeks. Good luck...
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

justine is offline Senior Member

I would look into Purina ProPlan Performance, especially if he will be a highly active dog out in the field. It has higher fat and protein content than many of the other foods. You can also check out Royal Canin MAXI Joint and Coat Care 28 - similar fat and protein content.

I have 3 of my dogs on the RC Maxi Adult (lower fat/protein than the Joint and Coat Care) - I just switched from the PP Performance as it wasn't agreeing with Abbey. My chocolate boy, Kolby, has allergies (both food and environmental) so he is on Canide PureLand (grain-free, no chicken).

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

mikhailamiller is offline Junior Member

Never had issues with ear infections. He's been shaking his head a lot the last two days but that's because e took a dive in the water and I forgot to use the ear dry cream after his swim. He does scratch and bites his feet and is losing hair on his right front elbow. Is that normal? I think I'm going to switch him to Origen large breed puppy. My vet insists on science diet so he is really no help at all lol He's already 65 pounds and a bit on the slim side so he's gonna be a big boy.

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

I have heard negative comments about Science Diet, but I have not fed it. Believe it or not, even though it is recommended by a vet, Science Diet has lousy reviews. Hill's Science Diet Puppy Food | Review and Rating Some people don't like the dog food review sites, but I have found this one to be a good one, and accurate. I like that it explains how they come up with the stars for each food. I have heard there are vets that get a kick back from dog food companies, but I am not saying yours is one of them. You don't need large breed puppy food either. Labs aren't large breeds, and I have heard that some labeled "large breed" is just a money getter. I wish I were more help. I think with all the feet licking, if it were me, I would go grain and chicken free and see how that goes. If you chose to go to dog food advisor, you'll find many good brands to chose from. About losing hair on elbows....they wear it off on the backs of elbows and the inside the hair is thinner in summer. Good luck.
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye