Poop eating and new food reco

Thread: Poop eating and new food reco

Piper77 is offline Member

DefaultPoop eating and new food reco

Hi,

Piper is 9 years old and has just begun eating her own poop from the backyard. She has occasionally enjoyed a poopsicle and I know she will eat cat turds or other gross stuff sometimes on a walk, but this one is completely new. Over the last few weeks I often felt the poop I picked up a day or two later from the backyard either seemed smaller or 'disturbed'. On walks she might sniff another dog's droppings but never actually go for it and I've not yet seen her try to eat anything on a walk.

Her food recently changed from Wellness Simple Solutions Lamb and Rice to Lab & Oatmeal. I had heard Oatmeal was actually easier to digest etc. but I did find her stool a bit softer and sometimes larger. This could all just be coincidence but now with the poop eating I am leaning to switching her food.

Does anyone have any suggestions or ideas for new food and/or the sudden poop eating?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

labby is offline Senior Member

I'd switch back and see if that takes care of it. Otherwise, you're going to need to pick it up immediately. Just know that once they get into this habit, it's very difficult to get them out of the habit no matter what you do.

Laura

Thanks, but unfortunately Wellness switched the formula and discontinued the rice version of the same food and went solely with Oatmeal (it wasn't me making the switch). After looking at what other lines they carry, I might try to stick with the Wellness simple solutions and go to a Salmon & Potato or Turkey & Potato.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Diesel_Dawg is offline Senior Member

It could be the food change, sometimes they eat poop due to lacking some nutritional component.

On a side note -- I've never understood why people leave dog poop in their yard. Doesn't it look like a bunch of landmines strewn about? How do you enjoy your yard? Nevermind leaving opportunity for poop eating. Sorry, it just sounds yucky to me. And yes, I have had large backyards (sit on a mower large) with dogs and have always picked up as soon as they poop. Just curious why people wouldn't.

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

It sounds like you need to teach and reinforce 'leave it' .... My son's boxer was a poop eater. After a 100 times of saying leave it, she finally got it! She would raid the cat's litter box!
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

Quote Originally Posted by Diesel_Dawg View Post
    It could be the food change, sometimes they eat poop due to lacking some nutritional component.

On a side note -- I've never understood why people leave dog poop in their yard. Doesn't it look like a bunch of landmines strewn about? How do you enjoy your yard? Nevermind leaving opportunity for poop eating. Sorry, it just sounds yucky to me. And yes, I have had large backyards (sit on a mower large) with dogs and have always picked up as soon as they poop. Just curious why people wouldn't.
    Um, it's not like my backyard is awash in dog poop. I'm talking the odd pile that didn't get picked up quickly. She normally goes on walks twice a day but if she doesn't poop I still let her play or get some fresh air in the back yard she might go while I putter around in the kitchen that I may not necessarily see or have a chance to get before I go to work. Also if she poops when she's let out before we go to bed I'm not exactly walking around in the dark trying to get it right then.

How do I enjoy my yard? Very easily - I've got a beautiful deck that I use most of the time that the odd pile of poop doesn't ruin for me.

Fortunately she does know the leave it command and will listen! But it's still gross to see her spit it out!

Diesel_Dawg is offline Senior Member

Clearly you took it offensively when I was merely curious. Here's the picture you painted... "the poop I picked up a day or two later..." knowing how much poop comes out of the average dog over the course of two days this (to me) sounds like an excessive amount to be left lingering around & just wondered why people leave it there.

To each their own, I just find that people who complain about poop eaters are usually the ones who don't scoop poop right after it hits the ground or even a regular basis. Just makes me scratch my head. Anyways, I think it's gross, others seem to not be bothered by it - as I said, to each their own.

kassabella is offline Senior Member

Teaching leave will work if you see him about to do it. Most times you don't if the dog has access to the back yard to play as Erns does. Often he will do it in the garden and I don't see it, but he know where to get his midnight snack.

As Laura (Labby) said the only way to deal with it is to pick it up immediately.
    Don't make a thing about it. Garry does and I am sure Erns does it to push his buttons. I hear the...ewww/yuck...yuck..Chrissy that bleep dog of yours is doing it again...I swear I hear Erns snigger as he licks his lips as he walks in.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/