Oh my! I think he had some loss of bladder control.

Thread: Oh my! I think he had some loss of bladder control.

lilith72 is offline Junior Member

SmileOh my! I think he had some loss of bladder control.

Hi all, I have lurked for a long time, but now I have a question for all of you. I have a 6 year old lab boy, named Tempo. I let him out at 9 last night and then as I was putting my running shoes on at 5:15 am this morning, he was standing by me and just started peeing. It almost looked like he didn't know it was happening, because he started to walk around. He didn't seem to have an urgency to get outside even though I was pushing him to the door. He peed all the way! His boy part looks normal and there was no crying or whimpering when we went out on our jog. I also went home at lunch time and he seemed fine, with no accidents. Does this seem like a one-time thing? Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Trammel is offline Junior Member

Sounds like a fluke honestly, my female lab has to take Proin for sphincter muscle control or she will pee in her sleep.
    CGC

I would love it if it was just a fluke....he has no health issues.....

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

9 hours seems a longish time for a dog to hold it. Can you let him out for his last pee later at night?
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Belles mom is offline Senior Member

I hope it was a fluke! I had a GSP in for training aa few years ago that would do that quite often. He would stand up in his crate as I was opening the door in the morning and just start peeing. I don't he knew that he was doing it. However, when I yelled his name and 'perhaps' cussed at him, he stopped!

I don't think nine hours is too long for an older dog to hold it, but if the problem continues, you may want to shorten the time of you can. Seems like if that were the problem, he would show a need to go outside. Again, if the problem continues, maybe take a sample into the vet.

Karen and the gang
    BBI Kodi's Journey To Anotch (Journey)
    BBI Kodi's Blackpowder Striker (Flint)

DefaultI think he's okay now....

We get up at 5am and are usually out the door by 5:25. So, he's not holding it for 9 hours. Shoot, I don't even go anywhere before or after work, making sure he doesn't have to hold it a long time. He acted a little odd after work as well, but it wasn't like he was ill or sick. It was almost like he was being rebellious. I know....but, it was a little amusing. This morning, he was right back to normal again. It was just odd becuase on the handful of times he did need to go out in the middle of the night, he will scratch the side of the bed or I will wake up because he is breathing hard. So, I think it was just some weirdness, but I'm still watching him like a hawk for the next couple days...just in case. I am sometimes an over worried mama. Thanks for the comments!