Choosing a new food for Hamilton
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Choosing a new food for Hamilton

judiz is offline Senior Member

DefaultChoosing a new food for Hamilton

Hamilton has decided that he no longer likes his Blue Buffalo so we are switching foods. I spent 20 minutes in Petco today reading all the bags of food and finally chose Innova Prime. I like that it is grain free as Hamilton has shown symptoms of allergies and the ingredients don't read like a scientific textbook.
    Hamilton, Rescued October 4, 2011 at the age of four, background unknown. Hamilton is extremely lovable!!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Diesel_Dawg is offline Senior Member

How has he shown he no longer likes his food?

Quote Originally Posted by Diesel_Dawg View Post
    How has he shown he no longer likes his food?

By refusing to eat it, we tried adding moist food to it (he ate the moist and left the kibble), we put plain vanilla yogurt on (he ate the yogurt, left the kibble). Just accepted the hint that Hammie isn't happy with Buffalo anymore. This has been going on for a few weeks and even a change of flavor hasn't made a difference.
    Hamilton, Rescued October 4, 2011 at the age of four, background unknown. Hamilton is extremely lovable!!!!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

We have been rotating food for Sophie too. She is not your typical "wolf it down" labby. She has been getting the Canidae grain free lately. Pure land for now, will try Pure sea next. She was on California Naturals, and decided she didn't want to eat it anymore. We coaxed her through the last bag and switched to Canidae. She seems to like it, for now anyway.
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

Are labs usually picky eaters?

Quote Originally Posted by judiz View Post
    Are labs usually picky eaters?
    No, and the problem with overaccomodating them is it just reinforces this habit. Before catering to him by offering different brands and flavours, I'd be using a different approach first. Leave the food down for 15min, if he doesn't eat too bad he can wait til his next meal. Dogs will eat whatever food is available if they are hungry unless their mouth is sore.

Did you check his mouth? If he is eating the soft but ignoring the kibble maybe there is something wrong with his teeth, tongue or gums?

I don't think it's a mouth problem, he's eating raw carrots without a problem, okay no more switching foods for Hamilton unless he cannot digest the new one.

Well good to know his mouth seems okay! The whole diva thing with dogs and food is why I will only add two "high value" things to Diesel's food -- Sundays he gets sardines, daily he gets a handful of beans. Though good thing with Diesel is he doesn't consider the beans high value (I do because of the nutritional value!) he tends to toss them out of his bowl to get his kibble and THEN he eats them! I'm sure if I forgot to add the one day he wouldn't even notice

I don't add things like cheese, etc because someone on here did that or still has to because their dog won't touch the kibble without it. I don't want that much hassle with Diesel!

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

Sophie likes the Canidae without any treats mixed in. She eats it well, so we give treats separately usually. We do throw in veggies that I am cooking from time to time. Other food brands she had to be coaxed to eat. So the foods must taste differently. We have never given her cheapo food, so the foods she gets are quality ones, but she definately has preferances in taste.
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

MicksMom is offline Senior Member

...Before catering to him by offering different brands and flavours, I'd be using a different approach first. Leave the food down for 15min, if he doesn't eat too bad he can wait til his next meal...
    That was going to be my suggestion as well.

...Dogs will eat whatever food is available if they are hungry unless their mouth is sore...
    One other thing to consider when a dog starts refusing/turning their nose up at their food- there could be something off about the food. Our neighbor's Brittany stopped eating after they opened a new bag of food (same food they had been feeding). They thought she was just being stubborn. Their other Britt was eating just fine, for a bit. Then he got sick. Turns out there was something wrong with the food.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast