My dog seems to only like Human food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My dog seems to only like Human food

accord1130 is offline Junior Member

DefaultMy dog seems to only like Human food

Ok heres the thing...I got my 4 1/2 month old lab mix puppy Nick from a coworker who couldnt keep him anymore cause he was moving. Anyways, This guy used to feed him human food at times and other times he would feed him dog food mixed in with human food. so I guess Nick is used to human food now but I would like to change that. I only serve him puppy food (Blue Buffalo Bacon flavor for puppies) about 2-3 cups a day but he will only eat about half of that. He'll eat a little then walk away then come back later eat another little bit then walk away again and so on.

I'm also potty training him with the bell at the door and sometimes he does a good job in ringing the bell when he needs to pee or poop but at other times he'll just ring the bell cause I guess he knows there are things he can eat outside so he'll go outside and wont even use the bathroom but will keep sniffing the grass and chewing on stuff he finds.

I mean its not like hes not eating the dog food at all but he'll eat it a little at a time cause he's extremely hungry and has no choice. should I switch the food for a different puppy food? I refuse to mix any human food with his food because i want him to get used to dog food and if i mix human food with it then he'll never learn to eat just dog food. It could also be that the amount he's eating is right for his age and I'm just too worried lol. Still tho, I would like for him to kill the food once I hand it to him and not just eating it cause he has too. any suggestions?

Thank you guys!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tanya is offline Senior Member

have you tried playing hard ball? this means putting a serving of food down for 15 minutes max then removing it until the next meal. do this for a few days until the dog is hungry. You can try a new bag (in case the one you have is bad).

how long have you had him?
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

accord1130 is offline Junior Member

Had for almost 3 weeks now....

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Diesel_Dawg is offline Senior Member

Agree with Tanya. Don't let him graze, Labs typically scarf down their food so 15min max is more than enough time for him to eat his meal. He won't starve if he hasn't eaten the whole thing and you take it away until his next scheduled meal, he will eat dog food once he realizes that is all he is going to get.

Has he been to a vet since you've had him?

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Lab mix puppy. Not necessarily going to behave like a Lab. There are dogs who are grazers and who can't be forced into assigned meal times. I had a couple lyself. As long as this is an only dog, I'd let him graze. But I would not give in by putting added human food or gravy.

He may also change this habit as he gets older. He may be teething which could make him less interested in eating too.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

spiritedfilly115 is offline Senior Member
    LONG TIME MEMBER from Waaaay back when. Location changes often, .... NC, SC, CA, NY, CO, KY, +

Quote Originally Posted by accord1130 View Post

I would like for him to kill the food once I hand it to him and not just eating it cause he has too.
    Just don't put human food in with his food. He'll eat when he is hungry.
    He'll relearn, he is only a baby. Teething could make him less interested right now as well.

As to the quote,
    This means you want the dog to quickly eat it's food when you give it to him? If he's not hungry, why insist he gobble it down?

I know everyone feeds different, and everyone is entitled to their own opinion. My dogs have always been free feeders, they graze all day. Food is out here 24/7, inside and out. They eat when they want, what they want. I've never had an overweight dog. Even my labs.

Personally, I think it's cruel to feed at X time a day, period. I have babysat dogs and been around other dogs who got fed at certain times, and it was insane. The dogs acted crazier and crazier the closer meal time got. Then when you fed them, they ate the entire feeding in mere minutes. Those same dogs, when offered treats or training bits, would nearly snap off a finger because they were so hungry.

I know I would be a cranky snappy witch if I were allowed to eat once a day, and only a certain amount of food, LOL.

Tanya is offline Senior Member

agree with Sharon. Plus I have seen labs that were picky eaters (rare but it happens!)

While I encourage playing "hard ball"" I'm also not opposed to adding something simple and dog-friendly to food for a dog that is just naturally picky. I won't NOT keep changing it nor "upping the value". but sometimes just a little pumpkin, canned tripe, canned dog food added to the food can help them a great deal, while avoiding the "human food" thing. Lily's sister is a picky eater even after 3 months in foster care (though she has changed foster homes along the way).

I also agree with having him checked by a vet if you have not already done so since adopting him.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by spiritedfilly115 View Post

Personally, I think it's cruel to feed at X time a day, period. I have babysat dogs and been around other dogs who got fed at certain times, and it was insane. The dogs acted crazier and crazier the closer meal time got. Then when you fed them, they ate the entire feeding in mere minutes. Those same dogs, when offered treats or training bits, would nearly snap off a finger because they were so hungry.

I know I would be a cranky snappy witch if I were allowed to eat once a day, and only a certain amount of food, LOL.
    What does X time a day mean?

It's not cruel to have assigned feeding times. If I left food put for my dogs all the time, they'd never step away from the bowl and would be massively overweight.

Mine are certainly enthusiastic at mealtime, but hardly dying of hunger. My idea of cruel treatment involves actual suffering and inhumanity.

I think you are being just a little anthropomorphic.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Diesel_Dawg is offline Senior Member

Missed the mix part, true not all Lab mixes take on typical Lab behaviour and there are even picky Labs. I think the important thing is providing structure for this dog - in terms of proper nutrition as well as meal times without too much accomodation to avoid a diva dog.

Quote Originally Posted by spiritedfilly115 View Post
    Personally, I think it's cruel to feed at X time a day, period. I know I would be a cranky snappy witch if I were allowed to eat once a day, and only a certain amount of food, LOL.
    It is quite unusual, especially with Labs, to leave food out all day for them to graze on. Not saying it never happens, as it seems to with your dogs, just that it is more of a feline trait than a canine one. I'm not sure how providing structure to a dog's life is cruel. Dogs thrive on routine from waking & going to bed, potty & walks & play time, to meal time. Is it cruel to say a command and expect them to obey? Structure. Agree with Sharon you may be anthropomorphizing.

spiritedfilly115 is offline Senior Member
    LONG TIME MEMBER from Waaaay back when. Location changes often, .... NC, SC, CA, NY, CO, KY, +

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrownDog View Post
    What does X time a day mean?

It's not cruel to have assigned feeding times. If I left food put for my dogs all the time, they'd never step away from the bowl and would be massively overweight.

Mine are certainly enthusiastic at mealtime, but hardly dying of hunger. My idea of cruel treatment involves actual suffering and inhumanity.

I think you are being just a little anthropomorphic.
    X referring to a specific time not defined in the statement. X could be 3, 5, 7, 9.... whatever you desire it to be.
    To simplify for you, as you seem to enjoy nit picking on here, X would refer to the set meal times for your pets. Though since you indicate plural, it would be X and Y times.

Every single person on this site puts human traits to their pets.

Like I said, everyone is entitled to an opinion. AS long as the animals are well treated, and happy.... that is all that matters.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast