What do you look for in a vet?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What do you look for in a vet?

Jilian is offline Senior Member

DefaultWhat do you look for in a vet?

We currently have a vet for our cat but admittedly don't go very often because he's a healthy indoor cat. We're not sure if we should shop around for a different vet for the dog we're adopting or just stick with our current vet. What should I look for when choosing a vet? The one I was considering checking out has a big sign outside that says they now have the 6month heartworm prevention available and I remember reading that it has caused deaths in many dogs so we're probably gonna cross that facility off our list.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

javasmom is offline Senior Member

I look for a vet that gives a crap about MY dog.
    But is also willing to listen to me and trust that I know what I'm talking about when it comes to my dogs.

If my dogs get conjunctivitis, giardia or a UTI I should be able to call and tell them that and ask to get a prescription without having to take the dogs in every single time.
    My vet trusts me and knows that I know what my girls need-they also know that I would never not bring my dogs in if it is necessary.
    I like a vet that listens to my opinions and does not try to shove their opinion down my throat.

Basically, someone that knows what they're talking about and knows that I know what I'm talking about.

Kori is offline Senior Member

All of what javasmom said plus I watch how my dogs react in the office, to the techs, and the vet. We recently changed vets; really liked him, been going to him for over 15 years but his office is very old fashioned, not really up to date on equipment. The new vet we went to is very up to date, Joe was very comfortable with him and the techs and the vet listened to me.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

dek
    dek is offline Senior Member

I agree with what Java's mom said. I like my vet because he listens well, explains things well and I like that he likes my dog. I also had good recommendations on him from several people which always helps. When my dog was sick a few months back, I called 40 min before closing and was told to bring him right in. I really appreciated that as well.

smokey is offline Senior Member

What's been said already and I like that I can call anytime day or night and she always returns my call herself. If I were to call at 10:00 PM and leave a message with her answering service she returns my call if it's urgent or right away the next morning. Very comforting. She also makes house calls if need be (for a fee) but I'd rather that than a strange Dr. in an Emergency clinic. I like feeling like she cares about us.
    Smokey 4/25/2012

my2labs is offline Senior Member

I absolutely love my vet for a ton of reasons. They are somewhat of an expensive facility but my dogs have NEVER been afraid to go to the vets. They actually whine with excitement when I tell them that is where we are going. The technicians are all very friendly and make the clients and their pets feel comfortable. When I had to put Cinder down in July, they cried with me and hugged me. The 2 regular vets I have for Abbey and Mo don't mind getting on the floor and making my dogs feel comfortable and don't worry about the tons of dog hair that gets on their pants or the dog drool that gets on their sleeves. They don't make me feel rushed on any appointment and don't keep checking their watches when I keep them answering the same question over and over again until I understand the response. That is worth it's weight in gold to me.

Sam 9-27-07

Mojo 7-6-12

LabbyAbby is offline Junior Member

I have an amazing vet who only specializes in small animals ie cats and dogs. This is huge for me because if she were a wide range vet clinic she might not always be in due to a large animal emergency that keeps her out in the field. Luckily this is the only vet I have ever had and I fell in love with her and her amazing staff. I'm scared that if I ever move I won't be so lucky. When Kasper was sick and had to be in the "hospital" she let me come visit and sit in his kennel with him for as long as I wanted. He had to have surgery at the Vet School here in Kansas. She called there often to check on him. I was very appreciative/grateful. They make you and your dogs feel like family and not just a dog getting some shots or something. They don't care that Honey Bear always puts her paws on the desk to greet the receptionist...which is odd because she has never once gotten on the counter or table at home. The clinic is really warm and inviting. My dogs have always gotten excited when we arrive there...kinda scary to think they like the torture...kidding. Another vet office nearby reminds me of a barn with a desk, but they also treat large animals too.

Jilian is offline Senior Member

Thanks for the responses, they are really helpful. I think I'm going to start by visiting a few offices and go from there. We may have our rescue lab in as early as 2 weeks and then I'll do a vet visit and see how I like the vet.

javasmom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jilian View Post
    Thanks for the responses, they are really helpful. I think I'm going to start by visiting a few offices and go from there. We may have our rescue lab in as early as 2 weeks and then I'll do a vet visit and see how I like the vet.
    Sometimes, it's as easy as just meeting the vet-I either get a warm, fuzzy feeling about them or I don't.
    We had scheduled Java's first TPLO (ACL repair) with an ortho.
    Brian came home and I told him I couldn't do it-I didn't like the ortho surgeon. He just didn't instill confidence in me and it was my immediate first impression that I didn't like him.
    So, we had to go and find another ortho. Which we did...and I LOVED him.

So, trust your instincts, your judgement and your first impression...if you just don't like the vet, then go with that feeling.

justine is offline Senior Member

I did a quick search and found this: ASPCA | Find the Right Vet.

Over the last few years (partially due to living in different locations and working in vet clinics), I've probably seen at least 10 different veterinarians. Now I've moved again and have to start over. *hits self on head*

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast