Trying to decide on a good brand of dog food...

Thread: Trying to decide on a good brand of dog food...

Jilian is offline Senior Member

DefaultTrying to decide on a good brand of dog food...

We'll be rescuing a lab within the next month or so and I've been researching dog foods to no avail. Everyone seems to have a different opinion and it is hard to decipher the BS from the facts. Our dog will likely be between 2-4 yrs old so it sounds like we should feed adult formula for large breeds. I've heard good things about Blue Buffalo and I'm leaning towards it. On another website someone posted a chart where the AKC graded different brands of dog food and it got an A+. The other brands I was considering were Eukanuba and Science diet but they didn't rank as high on the chart. Obviously I'll keep the dog on whatever the foster parent has been feeding him for a while but I'm considering transitioning over to a better brand if the brand he's on doesn't rank so well.

Does anyone have any thoughts on blue buffalo? Any other brands to consider? The selection in Petco is so overwhelming!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

javasmom is offline Senior Member

Skip Science Diet-it's crap.
    Blue Buffalo has had issues and it is too rich for some dogs.
    My girls were on Eukanuba as puppies and did well on it.

They are now on Earthborn Holistics and Fromm. Both are high protein, grain free foods.
    I would highly recommend either brand.

Try looking at places like Agway, Farmer's Exchange or Tractor Supply.
    They have a good selection of premium foods at better prices than Petco.

Watch out at Petco...I'm sure someone will try to sell you Nutro. (Don't buy it-it's crap).

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

I have read posts about BB being too rich and causing loose stools. I would not choose Science Diet either. Also, you don't need a food specifically for large breeds. I feed Canidae grain free. Right now we are feeding Pure Land. We rotate with Pure Sea. Sophie likes the taste.
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

justine is offline Senior Member

When the time comes, ask what food the dog is currently being fed by the foster home. I would recommend buying a small bag of that food and transitioning to the new food over a few weeks. You don't want to add any additional stress during the transition.

I fed Purina Pro Plan for a long time (originally Chicken and Rice, then switched to Performance when they added "shreds" to the formula) but I recently switched three dogs over to Royal Canin. My picky dog LOVES the RC! And my allergy dog is currently eating Canidae PureLand.

I would recommend staying away from Science Diet due to the high corn content, but I've heard Eukanuba works well for certain dogs.

spiritedfilly115 is offline Senior Member
    LONG TIME MEMBER from Waaaay back when. Location changes often, .... NC, SC, CA, NY, CO, KY, +

I use Iams, large breed and puppy right now. My dogs have enjoyed this for years and look great. They maintain their weight, no ups and down.
    We've never had an allergy issue.

And every time we are out in pubic, which is a LOT, people comment on what beautiful coats they have, so shiney. Just this morning on the plane, the pilot
    couldn't get enough of them, lol. He breeds bird dogs of some sort, and uses RC, said his dogs coats are nothing compared to Kayce's and Diesel's.
    And, I can count on two poops a day... Jack and Kayce both have done this.... Diesel only being three months, he's not held accountable for poops, lol. Just kidding.

With one of my Danes and a Malamute, we tried more expensive brands, and I have never seen dogs poop so often, and have such foul smelling
    poop in my life. The Dane, Caleb, blew the whole vet's office clear, lol, they had to open windows and doors to air it out.

After that, we switched to Iams, and have been happy ever since. Those dogs were shiney and beautiful as well on Iams.

Everyone makes different choices, what they prefer...

quick note.... a family I know, who can afford to pay for decent food.... insists on buying Ol'Roy for their dog. OMG, poor beast! It's a lab mix with a lab coat, looks 98% yellow lab. The poor thing has the nastiest, stiff, brittle, and dull coat. I feel so sorry for it. To them, the dog is just that .... the dog. And the food, doesn't matter.

LuvBrown is offline Senior Member

You don't need a Large Breed forumla. It's a gimmick.

Jilian is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by LuvBrown View Post
    You don't need a Large Breed forumla. It's a gimmick.
    I've heard both sides on this. What is the difference between large breed and non large breed formula? I was leaning towards large breed formula since labs are pretty big.

spiritedfilly115 is offline Senior Member
    LONG TIME MEMBER from Waaaay back when. Location changes often, .... NC, SC, CA, NY, CO, KY, +

Quote Originally Posted by Jilian View Post
    I've heard both sides on this. What is the difference between large breed and non large breed formula? I was leaning towards large breed formula since labs are pretty big.

I compared them, not much difference. I like the large breed because the pieces are slightly larger than regular dog food.
    Bigger mouth on a bigger dog.
    The puppy food is much smaller, and my puppy (3 months) actually prefers the bigger dog food.
    Actually the 5 pound cat prefers the bigger dog food too... go figure.

Trammel is offline Junior Member

Have been using Nature's Variety Instinct kibble and can for almost two years now. Very pleased with it but recently she has been scratching a bit. It may be the Arizona dry weather though.

1000mg file oil daily is given daily.
    CGC