Red bumps in groin/scabs all over belly

Thread: Red bumps in groin/scabs all over belly

jnmurphy312 is offline Junior Member

DefaultRed bumps in groin/scabs all over belly

Hi all

Ella has always had skin issues, but they seem to be getting worse. As a pup, she always had red pimple-like spots in her groin area. The vet told us that sometimes puppies have this and that she'll grow out of it. Two months ago (she turned 1 in April), we brought her in because in addition to the red bumps, she was developing scabs and hair loss on her belly, elbows, and knees. He said it was a bacterial infection (they scraped and cultured it) and told us that basically her immune system wasn't working to fight off the invasion of the normal flora of her skin. With the antibiotics, the rash and scabs pretty much disappeared. Now, it's back with a vengeance. Instead of bringing her to the doggie dermatologist (which is our next step...), we took their advice and bought some "Doggy Goo- Healthy Goo" to try and boost her immune system to fight off this impending infection. She's been on the Goo for 5 days, and I haven't seen much improvement.

Does anyone have experience with this type of infection? What was the diagnosis? I hate the thought of her being on antibiotics every two months, because I know that isn't too good for your immune system either. I also am beginning to wonder if she has something else going on.

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

Continue with whatever your vet is telling you to do. HK had similar rashes and scabs. We switched to a grain free, no wheat or corn, food. It disappeared and hasn't been back. For her, no treats with corn or wheat either. I really don't know if she is allergic to corn or wheat, but she hasn't had this problem come back and does fie on the grainfree food.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

ladylola is offline Junior Member

Hello,
    I am new to this forum but noticed your post, we too are having troubles with our female lab, she was diagnosed with "allergies" and the vet wanted use to have testing done, even if it wasn't conclusive. From all my research I am totally convinced that our dog is suffering from a yeast overgrowth. She has all the text book signs, hair loss, "scabs" on her belly, paw chewing etc. She has been on her fair share of antibiotics and steroids, which helped for only for a short time. We have just stared her on a product called "Nzymes" the healthy skin program. We have eliminated grains from her diet, she only gets dehydrated duck treats and NO PEOPLE FOOD! Before trying this product she too was on immune boosters, we did a liver detox, and tried MANY different dog foods hoping it would help her. So my advice to you would be to do some research about yeast. check out their web site nzymes.com. Hope this helps and good luck.
    Melissa & Lola (the Lab)

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

Like Ed and Hershey, our Sophie had the same problem when she was younger. We switched to grain free and eliminated chicken. Within 2 weeks she was regrowing hair and the bumps were healing. Also, flea allery dermatitis will look like you describe. A dog doesn't have to have a bunch of fleas to have it. One flea bite can cause an allergic reaction in some dogs. I would consider using Comfortis or one of the oral meds for fleas. Comfortis works better than anything we have ever tried.
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

jnmurphy312 is offline Junior Member

She is on Natural Balance Limited Ingredients (which I am almost certain is grain free) and on Frontline Plus. I will look into the fleas and nzyme treatment. I will most likely be seeing the dermatologist so that I can get a for sure answer. It could be an allergy (environmental, pest, etc), but it could also be some sort of parasite or mange situation too. Sigh! I just want her to be healthy and not dealing with being itchy anymore!! Thanks for the advice.

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

Frontline did absolutely nothing on Sophie! When I used it, she still had fleas, and we had to wait 3 weeks before we could buy something that actually works. Advantix II works, but for only about 3 weeks instead of 4. Some dogs are highly allergic to flea saliva. Some will get flea allergy dermatitis from 1 bite. No kidding. Not all formulas of Natural Balance Limited Ingredients are grain free. Natural Balance Alpha Grain Free is. Some have rice in them. Good luck!
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

ladylola is offline Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by jnmurphy312 View Post
    She is on Natural Balance Limited Ingredients (which I am almost certain is grain free) and on Frontline Plus. I will look into the fleas and nzyme treatment. I will most likely be seeing the dermatologist so that I can get a for sure answer. It could be an allergy (environmental, pest, etc), but it could also be some sort of parasite or mange situation too. Sigh! I just want her to be healthy and not dealing with being itchy anymore!! Thanks for the advice.
    I know the feeling and you feel helpless for your animal!! If you can get your hands on a product called "dermagic" healthy skin, try it out.i have been shampooing Lola with it then rinsing with baking soda and water, seems to have hepled with her itch. Dermagic is an antibacterical antidanfruff soap that help wounds and sores heal. If you have a chance try to research about dermagic
    Melissa & Lola (the Lab)

justine is offline Senior Member

Abbey had the random pimples on her belly - the vet diagnosed it as puppy acne. It did go away with time and a medicated wash from the vet.

Kolby is an allergy dog - we have done a lot of testing and have tried almost all of the prescription and OTC allergy medications. What has helped him was switching him to a grain-free kibble and medicated baths with a chlorhexadine shampoo and hydrocortisone leave-in conditioner.

General1061 is offline Junior Member

Have you looked into giving your dog coconut oil. My lab had the same issue and it has gone away since I started adding a scoop of coconut oil to his food daily. It may be something worth looking into...

MicksMom is offline Senior Member

...Instead of bringing her to the doggie dermatologist (which is our next step...), we took their advice and bought some "Doggy Goo- Healthy Goo" to try and boost her immune system to fight off this impending infection. She's been on the Goo for 5 days, and I haven't seen much improvement...
    I've heard really good things about Doggy Goo from some breeders. I'd give it more time- 5 days really isn't long. In fact, I think when I looked into it, they website said it could take up to a month to notice any changes.

She is on Natural Balance Limited Ingredients (which I am almost certain is grain free)...
    Yes, the LIDs are grain free, although one of them has brown rice (at least the last time I checked). Are you feeding one with potatoes or sweet potatoes? Either one of those can cause yeast issues, as can carrots. I really didn't give it much thought until I switched Caleb from the NB LID foods to Earthborn Holistics in the spring, and I saw a huge difference in his ears within a couple of weeks. Until then, we were assuming his ears were slightly inflamed and "waxy" from environmental allergies. He's still scratching from pollens, etc, but his ears are nice and pink.