Dog park...healthy or not?

Thread: Dog park...healthy or not?

Spiderjohn is offline Member

DefaultDog park...healthy or not?

Hey Now,

Molly loves going to the dog park...Just wondering what everything thinks about the health risks. Molly has picked up something respiratory. We will know for sure tomorrow if it is kennel cough or not. I think the incubation period for kennel cough is up to 14 days...I've had her about 11 days. So it is possible she got it from the rescue or the dog park. The vet had recommended that she didn't need the vaccine unless she was going to be boarded. She has had everything else.

Do the benefits of the dog park outweigh the risks?

A dognostic nose there is a Dog.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tanya is offline Senior Member

depends on the age, on the dog and on the dog park.

I would not bring a dog under 12-14 weeks to the park (not until they have had all their shots then wait a little). I would not bring a dog with a weak immune system or that catches everything as yes, there are parasites and things like giardia and kc at most parks.

I would be cautious about young dogs as the park can be a rough and tumble place, overwhelming for young dogs just learning the ropes. I avoid peak periods and such. Not all dogs parks are good, sometimes you have to learn what dogs to avoid (i.e. when they arrive, you leave). But having said that, we go daily and things are good.

THe KC vaccination is like the human flu shot, it only protects agains the "most common" strains (used when making the vaccination) so your dog can still get it even if they have the shot. So many opt not to get it. My guy does get it and has been around two dogs that came down with KC and never got it. But he may just have a good immune system.

You can get KC anywhere. Pet stores, on walks, etc. anywhere many dogs congregate. y
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

justine is offline Senior Member

Yep, I echo what Tanya said regarding dog parks and young dogs. You don't have to worry just about catching worms or kennel cough, but also the puppy's safety.

I've had a lot of bad experiences at dog parks unrelated to physical health, but rather too many ignorant people who bring unsocialized and unfriendly dogs to the dog park. We chose to just avoid dog parks altogether.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

labby is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by justine View Post
    I've had a lot of bad experiences at dog parks unrelated to physical health, but rather too many ignorant people who bring unsocialized and unfriendly dogs to the dog park. We chose to just avoid dog parks altogether.
    I am NOT a dog park person for most of these same reasons. I've had my dogs attacked, rammed while they were minding their own business. No thanks.

Laura

justine is offline Senior Member

Yep.. I've been bit pretty bad trying to get other people's dogs off of my dogs. I've also seen a lot of people who don't understand dog body language AT ALL. One guy's intact male repeatedly tried humping Abbey. Abbey turned and growled at the dog and walked away. She did this the first few times the dog tried to mount her and after that, I told the owner he needs to remove his dog. The owner told me that MY dog has the problem, so we cut our trip short and left. *shrugs*

It's just not worth it for me since there are many other places I can take my dogs without the constant fear for my dogs' lives/health.

javasmom is offline Senior Member

Yuck..no dog parks for us.
    It's like tossing your kid in a fighting ring then being surprised when they get beat up.

zonapups is offline Senior Member

I agree with Tanya. Dog parks can be great but only as good as the dogs that go there. We tried 4 dog parks before we found the one we enjoy visiting. There is a group that meets nightly around 6:30pm and they LOVE when we bring our pups to the park. They are very aware of how their dogs react around ours and even correct their dogs if things get too rough for our little ones. We have seen a significant difference in our two's dog language vocabulary. We have even socialized them with friends and families dogs and they STILL learned more at the dog park then around family and friend's dogs.

HA! The thing I enjoy most about the dog parks is bringing two very tired puppies home in the evening! Can't put a price on that feeling!

If you manage to find a good dog park with good dogs and owners I truly believe that the benefits outweigh the risks.

Leo and Zoey - born 4/21/12. The loves of my life (other than the hubby)

Beerfish is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by labby View Post
    I am NOT a dog park person for most of these same reasons. I've had my dogs attacked, rammed while they were minding their own business. No thanks.
    I agree with this, which is a real shame as it is great to have off leash places in the city but the behavior of some dogs and especially their owners is pathetic. One of the last times I took my previous dog 'Rocky' to the park I came as close as I've come in probably 30 years to bopping a guy in the beak. (And it takes a lot to get my feathers ruffled.)

kromulok is offline Senior Member

shrug i dunno, the dog park we have here is quite nice and everyone is very polite and aware of what their dog is doing. Never had an issue. Its usually pretty empty all of the time too which is nice so Jax can have the entire pond to himself :P tho he really gets happy when some dogs show up! Nothing but good experiences here personally.

slackercodemonkey is offline Senior Member

I think dog parks are great. It gives dogs an opportunity to figure out dog manners. Their are lots of people though that interpret rough housing as aggression though which is fine. It is all about having respect for other people and their dogs so if they think your dog is being too rough respect their thoughts.

Once your dog has figured out doggy manners you can work on obedience at the dog park with distractions. I like to randomly walk the dog park while keeping Layla close by. If she runs one way, I walk/run the other way. She checks in often even while running with other dogs. I also put Layla in either a sit or down stay when people enter the dog park. You can start doing this really far away from the entrance and then work your way closer. Dog owners usually really appreciate it if they don't get mobbed by dogs when they enter the dog park.

As far as disease and stuff like that, life is generally too short to be overly paranoid. Find a good vet and get the vaccinations that they recommend. I think the more important thing to remember is that it is important for your dog to have as many different experiences as possible in order to help them be the best dog possible.

Idiot dog owners with bad dogs is always a danger though. I would be wary of any dogs/owners that you don't know. It shouldn't take too long to get to know most of the regulars (at least where I live). If in doubt about a dog or its owner leave. It isn't worth the risk.