What's the verdict after all about Greenies?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What's the verdict after all about Greenies?

mistarkos is offline Senior Member

DefaultWhat's the verdict after all about Greenies?

I did a search on the forum about Greenies. I found an old post (2009) that says that Greenies are not safe because they were too hard and could not be bend. Then I read that they changed their formula and they are soft and can be bend. I also read on a link to CNN that Greenies killed 13 dogs.

I also read on the forum that some of you give Greenies and they are good. Are they good and safe now?? Are the ingredients safe for the dog?

If dogs do not go to heaven, then I prefer to follow them where they go.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

LuvBrown is offline Senior Member

I don't think enough changed to make them any more "safe", though I don't think they are any more "unsafe" than rawhides. Every treat like that has a propensity to hurt a dog, large chunks swallowed, breaking teeth, choking etc. Supervision is always key. I personally thought they were way too expensive for the amount of time it took for a dog to chew and swallow it. $5 for a 5 minute chew? I would rather just give the dog a big dog biscuit. I honestly don't believe they clean teeth or freshen breath....a good 1/2 hour chew on a marrow bone would be alot better for a dog than a greenie.

But a once in awhile treat? Probably fine.

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

I think they are gross. I bought one once - my dog ate it and promptly puked it right back up. Never bought another one.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

I don't like them at all but I am not a fan of many processed, store bought treats. Raw bones, fresh fruit, dehydrated chicken and liver that I make is ALL that my dogs get. After what I went through with Ozzy, losing his so young and not knowing why I will never feed anything else. I want to know everything that goes in to my dogs, I am just not willing to ever take another chance and live with the regret and overwhelming guilt that I have.
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

Belles mom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by tammyhuffman View Post
    I don't like them at all but I am not a fan of many processed, store bought treats. Raw bones, fresh fruit, dehydrated chicken and liver that I make is ALL that my dogs get. After what I went through with Ozzy, losing his so young and not knowing why I will never feed anything else. I want to know everything that goes in to my dogs, I am just not willing to ever take another chance and live with the regret and overwhelming guilt that I have.
    Tammy, what happened to Ozzy?

Karen and the gang
    BBI Kodi's Journey To Anotch (Journey)
    BBI Kodi's Blackpowder Striker (Flint)

Quote Originally Posted by Belles mom View Post
    Tammy, what happened to Ozzy?
    Karen, I wish I had an answer to give you. The end of May of 2011 he went for his annual check up, senior blood panel and all checked out well, he was 8 yrs., 7 mos. We had noticed that he was beginning to become a little
    "creaky" so my then vet suggested we start him on Deramaxx which we did. A week later he started leaving a portion of his meals in his bowls, completely unheard of with him, he was a complete food hound like most labs. Took him in to the vet had blood work, x-rays, etc run and nothing. A week later he developed a cough on a Sunday, ran to the e-vet they did x-rays, blood work and nothing. Started him on antibiotic just to be on the safe side. I stopped the Deramaxx which was the only thing that he had different. He continued to just be lethargic and not his self. I went back to the vets and more bloodwork and tests were done. NOTHING! A week later on June 28th he had a really bad day, panting very heavily and just could not get comfortable. Back to the vets we went for more bloodwork and x-rays. At this point the vet did some x-rays because he thought he heard some fluid in Ozzy's chest, did a chest x-ray and decided it was possibly the start of congestive heart failure. Made an appointment for the following morning with a cardiologist and went home with 2 medications, can't remember the names of them one was to remove excess fluids. Went back home and Jon and I were sitting on the floor with him, he was obviously in distress and Jon and I were just scratching him and loving on him trying to calm him down. Suddenly Emma came running in to the bedroom and stood in the doorway and Ozzy stood up, fell down and was dead. Emma ran howling from the bedroom like the devil was after her. I don't know what was wrong with him; I will admit that although he ate a good food I did give him store bought treats, "Happy Hips" dehydrated chicken strips, and assorted biscuits, etc. He was definitely a BYB lab from an oops litter and I did not know better. He was always healthy and I have always been very careful to make sure my dogs have annual health exams and I am not one to wait around if something seems off - I would rather run to the vet and look stupid than regret not going. It bugs the shit out of me that my seemingly healthy boy, with great blood work a month earlier would just go downhill so quickly and nothing would show up until an hour before his death. It just hurts my heart because I don't know if he suffered and I think that bothers me more than anything. All I know is I feel terribly guilty and I miss his face every day...
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean

Tammy, I'm so sorry for Ozzy.

It doesn't make sense to me the notice on the box that says to supervise the dog while having the bone, the treat or what ever. IF something happens, let's say he swallows a big piece what can you do? You won't have the time to do anything! Even if he chews a big piece you don't know if he will chew it or swallow it complete. You can't take it out of his mouth.

I'll visit the butcher for a big raw bone soon. Shall I boil it to kill any bacteria or something else or her stomach will do that?

Quote Originally Posted by mistarkos View Post
    Tammy, I'm so sorry for Ozzy.

It doesn't make sense to me the notice on the box that says to supervise the dog while having the bone, the treat or what ever. IF something happens, let's say he swallows a big piece what can you do? You won't have the time to do anything! Even if he chews a big piece you don't know if he will chew it or swallow it complete. You can't take it out of his mouth.

I'll visit the butcher for a big raw bone soon. Shall I boil it to kill any bacteria or something else or her stomach will do that?
    Thank you. It wasn't anything he had caught in his throat or had partially swallowed, at this point he was barely eating. I just wonder about the preservatives, chemicals and other unknowns in processed treats and that is why Emma no longer gets them and Maxx has never had them.
    Definitely do NOT boil the bone, I have the butcher cut the shank bone in about 2 inch size pieces and keep them in the freezer. I take a good bit of the marrow out of Maxx's because too much marrow gives him the runs, it is too rich for him, Emma is fine with it. I give them frozen, right out of the freezer and they love them. It is like a puppy popsicle! No need to worry about bacteria.
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean

LuvBrown is offline Senior Member

NO, raw bones are to be given raw. Dogs have different tummies than we do...raw is natural for them. Cooked bones (cooked in any way...boiled, smoked, etc) get brittle and are far worse for dogs that the potential of some bacteria.

Tammy, don't blame your self, you didn't know.

Thank you both for the tip on raw bones.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast