Kayce won’t move! WBC high BUN low, Advice / ideas? Nerves are shot after losing Jack
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Kayce won’t move! WBC high BUN low, Advice / ideas? Nerves are shot after losing Jack

spiritedfilly115 is offline Senior Member
    LONG TIME MEMBER from Waaaay back when. Location changes often, .... NC, SC, CA, NY, CO, KY, +

ExclamationKayce won’t move! WBC high BUN low, Advice / ideas? Nerves are shot after losing Jack

I just got back from the vet, Kayce is laid out on her dog bed. Looking down right pitiful!

Yesterday, Kayce was fine, absolutely fine! Last night we had company over till 8, I put her out after they left, she was fine. I let her and little man Diesel inside at 9 and Kayce went to her bed and laid down. I just assumed she was tired and she was ready for bed. About 10, I went to let her and Diesel out for one last pee and she wouldn’t move. Strange as Kayce is my attention hound and she loves any form of attention. Normally she would practically barrel me over to go out.

I put the puppy out and tried to encourage Kayce to get up by any means. Crazy voice, claps, toys and best of all food. She will do anything for food. Nothing. I tried last resort, peanut butter Reese’s Pieces ( no chocolate). Her eyes were wide, she looked pained abut she managed to get up stiffly and walked slowly to me with a hunched back. She didn’t even take the tiny candy piece.

I felt her over, no injuries. She instantly laid back down. I thought maybe she pulled a muscle, playing with Diesel. Figured let her rest and check her during night.

Midnight, she wouldn’t budge an inch, not even a tail wiggle. 2 AM, 4 AM nothing.
    She wouldn’t move anything besides her eyeballs. Even when I accidently let Diesel get loose and he pounced on her, nothing moved! She just looked at me with a sad look.

7AM, I tried to get her up, cheered, bribed…. She just closed her eyes, and pulled away from me. I woke the neighbor who loaded her into my car and we were at the vets office the minute they unlocked the doors.

The vet felt no outward injuries, nothing is swollen, no obvious snake bites or spider / tick bites. Her left hip popped a few times. He did xrays and blood work. Nothing is broken. He said her one hip might be slightly arthritic, but not bad enough to even cause pain yet and certainly not immobilize her.

Her lab work showed high WBC and high NEUT. And it showed low BUN / UREA.

And she is still not moving through all this. They got her standing and she was compliant, but you could tell it was stressing her. On the table she lowered her head to the table like she was drinking water. On the floor, she stiffly sat down. Then agonizingly got up and tried to hide behind me in a corner.

Vet says he is not sure, nothing obvious is showing up but may be result of a tick bite, or could be a soft tissue injury.

He gave her an antibiotic injection, and a treatment regime of Tetracycline, and Metacam for pain. Keep her calm and confined.

Kayce is 2 yrs 4 months, 75lbs and very active. She is a good weight and height.
    She is a beautiful dog, hence why I call her my pretty girl. All shots current and on all preventatives.

I just lost my boy, Jack, on June 30th to malignant melanoma. It’s been a heck of a year here at my house. Lost job in Dec, Jack diagnosed with cancer in March, he passed in June and now this. Of course I am panicked about anything being wrong with my remaining dogs. My grown children live in Texas for college and work. These dogs are my whole life.

Anyone seen anything similar?? Should I see another vet? Today cost $390, his prices are good and he is a well loved local vet, voted the counties best many times over. I was just there Saturday to get my little man Diesel his DHPP booster!
    Easter 2012 upload 009.jpg

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Top Of The Hill is offline Senior Member

Sorry, no idea what it could be. Could she have got into anything? Sounds like it came on suddenly.....or seemed to.

You might have more luck getting replies if you post this in Lab Chat. How is she now? Good thoughts for her quick recovery from whatever caused this. Poor girl.

georgie is offline Senior Member

Poor Kaycee. High WBC's & high Neutrophils can mean an infection. She is on tetracycline so hopefully it will take care of any infection. Please let us know how she is doing. Sending good thoughts for your baby.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

dek
    dek is offline Senior Member

Poor girl! In humans a high WBC and neutrophils would point to a bacterial infection, but doesn't sound like you've been able to find the source. Hope the antibiotics help her out!

smokey is offline Senior Member

Poor girl! That sounds like some dogs are with Lymes. Very sudden onset. I hope she recovers quickly, for her sake and yours.
    Smokey 4/25/2012

LONG TIME MEMBER from Waaaay back when. Location changes often, .... NC, SC, CA, NY, CO, KY, +

Thanks so much for the replies. I am worried about her. Gave her another dose of the anitibiotic and will do it again overnight when I let Diesel out. She has been up a few times, think the dose of pain killer has helped as she was not as stiff, but is obviously uncomfortable.

She did eat a little and is drinking like a camel. Her poo was perfect, well as good as poo can be.
    When she squated, it was with great effort and I was nearby just in case. She did hold her left foot up off the ground a bit.

She hobbled over to me and laid down, put her beautiful head on my lap and just looked at me with those sad eyes. OMG I started bawling. I know she hurts and it was like she was asking for help. I just sat there with her till my legs were numb two hours later. A neighbor helped ease her back into the house.

dek,
    was your Koivu born April 21, 2010?
    Noticed your pitapater says same thing as my Kayce.

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

No advice but I sure hope she is much better soon. I know after losing a wonderful, beloved companion so suddenly every little thing is a huge worry. Hang in there!
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

dek
    dek is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by spiritedfilly115 View Post
    dek,
    was your Koivu born April 21, 2010?
    Noticed your pitapater says same thing as my Kayce.
    Yes, he was!
    I'm hoping your sweet Kayce is feeling better!

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

I remember our last girl, Maggie doing this. She would just lay and act like she felt too bad to get up. I remember once she did this for a day and a half and at about 3:00am she woke us up to go outside and was her normal self. The vet said dogs get sick and feel crappy too. It was weird and really scary! I know how worried you are! I pray she will lay around a day or two and be back to her normal self!
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast