Yellow Lab looks dirty on skin (used to be pink) but no other symptoms.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yellow Lab looks dirty on skin (used to be pink) but no other symptoms.

angieream is offline Junior Member

DefaultYellow Lab looks dirty on skin (used to be pink) but no other symptoms.

Is this normal? I just got her last month, and she had nice pink skin on her belly, elbows, armpits, etc. Now her belly has started to turn dark, looks like dirt but doesn't scrub off. She does have some hot spots on her back near her tail, but nothing anywhere else, and she doesn't scratch or lick her belly like it bothers her. She has black skin tone around eyes, muzzle, & nose, but she used to be pink-bellied. I bathed her in Selsun Blue last night, scrubbed her for more than 1/2 hour (gently, with hands and then washcloth) but it didn't come off. I have read that this can be a normal trait, or that it could be a sign of an infection, but again there are no sores or pus or scales or anything else, just the dusty/dirty look.
    Kinda worried...

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

zonapups is offline Senior Member

First...never use Selsun Blue EVER on a puppy or a dog! Using that stuff will dry out her coat badly and you will have a flaky puppy. Even the baby shampoo will dry her out.

The darkening of the skin is normal. How old she? My pups are now 4 months and both gradually lost their nice pink belly around 3 months old. My yellow lab has the black pigment gene like yours. Her under skin is pretty dark now. I wouldn't worry about it but next time you give her a bath please use "puppy" shampoo on her. No human stuff.

Be careful on the hot spots. I have never had them before on our pups but make sure you talk to your vet about them so they don't get worse. Others might chime in on how to best treat it but the best person to speak to will be your vet so they can properly prescribe treatment plan to fix the problem. I'd be more worried about treating the hot spots then her darkening belly.

Leo and Zoey - born 4/21/12. The loves of my life (other than the hubby)

Diesel_Dawg is offline Senior Member

Never use human products to bathe your dog! Especially with those hot spots -- you can easily agitate them.

"Baby pink" bellies do change, if you are concerned you should take her to the vet. Has she been to the vet for the hot spots?

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

How old is this puppy? You have hot spots already? How did that happen?

I'm a little astonished that you used Selsun Blue on a dog!! Not appropriate at all and potentially quite damaging to their skin. Human shampoo of any kind is TOTALLY the wrong pH for a dog and Labs need baths quite infrequently - like once a year maybe (if they roll in something stinky).

You scrubbed her for 30 minutes? Poor thing.
    Last edited by BigBrownDog; 08-21-2012 at 06:46 PM.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

DefaultRE:Selsun Blue

I read in other places on this forum (including posts from veterinarians and related professionals) that Selsun Blue was safe and a good treatment for a dog that was starting to itch from mild skin irritations. She did not mind the scrubbing (I was gentle) but only minded when she slipped a bit in the tub (didn't fall just didn't like feeling unstable). She is almost a year old, and I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something when her skin started darkening. She went to the vet for all her puppy needs, before I got her.

Belles mom is offline Senior Member

I'd say no to the Selsun Blue also....yikes! Can you point to a thread on this forum that recommended that?

As far as dark/dirty looking skin under yellow fur, it happens, depending on your definition. I would worry more about the hot spots and what is causing them, and how to treat them. you have had the 1 year old dog for one month. There is the potential for a great deal of stress in the dog's life recently which could account for hot spots. What is her history before you got her?

Karen and the gang
    BBI Kodi's Journey To Anotch (Journey)
    BBI Kodi's Blackpowder Striker (Flint)

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

I sure don't remember ever seeing Selsun Blue recommended on this forum! The chemicals in it will strip the natural oils from the skin and dull the coat. I would never use anything like that unless directed by my vet. Sophie's belly is kind of 2 tone beige color. Another thing, you should not be bathing a lab unless it gets into to something really yucky. It is not good for them to be bathed a lot. The hot spot could be caused by fleas. Make sure your pup doesn't have them. Hot spots above the tail are usually from fleas. Take a paper towel and rub above the tail. If you see black or bloody looking traces on the paper towel, it is from fleas. Since you have bathed the heck out of your dog, this test might not be accurate. What do you use for fleas?
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

Sorry I haven't gotten back to anyone on this thread, my computer is down and I am accessing internet from the library. She does not have fleas, used flea spot-application from vet, don't remember the name, but similar to Revolution that I use for my cats. I don't bathe Jewels much, unless she gets into some mud, because I did read that bathing too much can cause problems. I think now that her darkening is normal, as she has darkened around her snout/nose area, went to black from a dark brown color, and more uniform skin color under her light colored fur (she's a yellow lab). I figured out that the hot-spot under her tail is from something in her crate, either nervous chewing because she's in there, or possibly just laying up against the lip at the back of the crate (it's the right level) but putting a blanket in doesn't help as she just pushes it out of her way. If I have time I will try to find the posts about selsun blue, but that is how I found this site. I did a google search about it because a friend's dog has allergy problems and her vet recommended using it, too. Usually I use an oatmeal dog shampoo.

ladylola is offline Junior Member

I use dermagic (pet product and all natural) to bathe our Lola, she has issues with itchies and allergies. I really love how she feels after and cleans well and it seems to "calm" her itchies, she enjoyes a good scrub
    Melissa & Lola (the Lab)

MicksMom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sophiesmama View Post
    I sure don't remember ever seeing Selsun Blue recommended on this forum!...
    Actually, I recommened it a couple of times. I've had a couple of vets recommend using it for dandruff in the winter- just a one time use, and definitely not for a puppy or for an itchy dog.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast