Puppy Diarrhea

Thread: Puppy Diarrhea

Jayghf1978 is offline Junior Member

DefaultPuppy Diarrhea

Hi, I'm Jay, a new dog owner and a new member.

My 13 weeks old Chopper has been dealing with stomach issues and I'm looking for advice/suggestions.

Three weeks ago first case of diarrhea we took him to the vet and revealed round worm. After first treatment and stomach pills he was back to normal, until the pills were gone. We were given another treatment of stomach pills to calm him down. After another round of chicken and rice he was good, until the pills run out. My vet suggests I switch from blue buffalo, which she made known she was highly against. A few days of chicken and rice finally calmed him down, first time without the stomach pills. We were adviced to slowly change his diet, but two days later his diarrhea re-visits.

So far the only thing working without the pills is chicken mixed with rice. As soon as we feed him regular dry dog food, albeit minimal amount, diarrhea comes back to visit.

Anyone else experience this? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks for reading.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

smokey is offline Senior Member

I had to switch my puppy's food to one that wasn't so rich, and his loose stools finally cleared up and are consistently normal on the new food. I was feeding Innova and his poop was always loose. I switched to ProPlan and his poop is normal. Good Luck!
    Smokey 4/25/2012

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Did your vet check for Giardia? Not sure what you mean by stomach pills? Was he wormed? What medication was he on?
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

brody is offline Senior Member

giardia? coccidia? both can be tough to detect and flare up and down

if Metronidazole is working that could be the issue -sometimes a long repeating course is needed

food sensitivities are also possibly developing now ... be aware not only of the brand but the specific ingredients -not to do anything quite yet - just to track carefully
    http://andrea-agilityaddict.blogspot.com/

“I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.” H. Keller

KenZ71 is offline Senior Member

I had my guy on Blue Buffalo large breed puppy. His coat looked awesome, eyes fantastic, poop was liquid to runny. We switched to wellness large breed puppy and give him two tablespoons of pumpkin daily. Real pumpkin, not pie filling, is high in fiber which keeps him regular.

I still want to go back to blue as Max is now itching a lot and has dry flaky skin. I try to offset that with a 600mg fish oil capsule in peanut butter. That helps a lot but too much and the poop gets runny.

In the past couple weeks the poop has been much better. I assume this is both getting older and his system adjusting.

Edit: Max is on Trifexis a once a month heartworm and flea prevention pill. Poop samples look ok according to vet.
    Last edited by KenZ71; 08-20-2012 at 05:12 PM.
    Max's favorite place, a walk through a state park with the kids

Max Born February 2012, Adopted May 2012....

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

Pumpkin helps with poop consistancy. It will help with loose or hard stools. The thing is, that doesn't address the underlying cause for the loose stools. Have you checked for coccidiosis? It is fairly common in puppies. You might try adding some probiotics.
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

IMAG0215.jpg

Thanks for all the comments.

Today his feces somewhat scared me. The pile just looks different. Should I be worried?

Usually his stools are loose and watery, with bright yellow.

Thank you for reading, and I apologize for the picture.

zonapups is offline Senior Member

I'd take your pup back to the vet and get him retested. Not just a test for round worms, but a full write up to look for other infections like Giardia or cocciddiosis. Just because they test negative doesn't mean they don't have it either! Sometimes you just have to retreat to try and rule out infection. We had to retreat our two for Giardia even though they tested negative to rule out infection. Turns out it was their food that was causing the problem.

You also don't mention what type of Blue Buffalo you were giving your pup. Some versions or more rich than others. We had to switch our two from the Wilderness puppy to Puppy Chicken w/ Brown Rice. They are doing much better but our vet also disliked us having them on the Wilderness variety as she wanted them to have grains in their diet now to reduce the chances of them developing an allergy and us not being able to move them to another food. If your vet wants you to switch from Blue Buffalo than switch! Why argue? Ask her what foods she would recommend that you try and research those brands to see which one you like the best. If she starts pushing something like Science Diet than get another opinion from another vet.

Leo and Zoey - born 4/21/12. The loves of my life (other than the hubby)

I thank everyone for their replies. All the tips were very helpful.

Last two days we have been using Nutro Natural Coice lamb and rice for puppy and so far so good. I do understand the recent nutro recalls, and no dry food was mentioned as most recalled were canned goods. We do plan on switching back to blue buffalo when his stomach is better prepared as he ages.

Again I thank everyone for their inputs.