Cryptorchid

Thread: Cryptorchid

smokey is offline Senior Member

DefaultCryptorchid

Smokey has a vet appointment tomorrow, his final round of puppy boosters...he is 16 weeks already, that went fast! At our last appointment my vet only felt one testicle. She wasn't too concerned yet as he is young and we don't intend to neuter anytime too soon. However now that this appointment is upon us I am getting nervous, I have researched some, and read some on here but not much about anyone who has experience with this. I realize the neuter surgery will be more involved, I never intended to breed him so am not concerned about that at all. I plan to let the breeder know if in fact it still has not come down, I don't expect anything from the breeder and I would never return him for any reason at this point he is family we love him. I just want to know if anyone has experience with this and would be willing to share, I'm scared for the poor little guy.
    Smokey 4/25/2012

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

LuvBrown is offline Senior Member

It's very common. The surgery is similar to a spay vs. a neuter. Yes more involved, but fairly routine.

Did the breeder mention to you when you got the pup that he was missing a testicle? This is typically checked on the first vet exam a breeder does with their own vet before a pup goes home. Mine always goes over the boys very well, making sure there are 2 testicles.

The only thing I heard is that it IS a good idea to eventually neuter because with the testicle being inside, sometimes there is a higher risk of cancer in the retained testicle, but once the testicle is out, all danger is gone.

It's OK. I would probably do the neuter on the earlier side of 12 months vs. much later just because of this.

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

And it may just descend on it's own still.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Diesel_Dawg is offline Senior Member

Diesel had this, I don't recall how old he was but eventually both testicles dropped on their own. I wouldn't assume he is missing one.

My vet said usually by eight weeks they are both palpable but not always. She said she has seen them drop and recede and she wouldn't be concerned just yet. I did get veterinary records from the breeder from his initial exam, not noted there. I don't want to neuter too early but will do it when my vet advises, she and I already discussed his growth and my wanting to let him mature before neutering. I hope it is there tomorrow and if not will prepare for "just in case".
    Smokey 4/25/2012

bett is offline Senior Member

i adopted a 2 yr old non neutered who had one teste. a bit trickier during the surgery as his was shriveled tissue in his abdomen that had to be tested to be sure it was actually testicle.
    he had an incision in his abdomen, healed up and one would never know.

justine is offline Senior Member

It happens often enough. The cryptorchid neuter is usually no more invasive than a spay, but if you are planning on waiting until he is fully developed to neuter him anyways, it may descend on it's own.

Ha! I was a day ahead of myself, his appointment isn't until tomorrow.
    Smokey 4/25/2012

Big Boy had his appointment today, still no testicle...My vet said I could still wait and neuter closer to a year, we will keep checking to see if it comes down or not. "Baby Moose" weighs 39 lbs! And is thin, we are going to feed a little more which I'm sure he will like! He was so good, too. Showed off his sit and down and was so quiet and made me a proud mama!
    Smokey 4/25/2012