Is it the brand or the ingredients?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is it the brand or the ingredients?

mistarkos is offline Senior Member

DefaultIs it the brand or the ingredients?

Cassie was on Pro Plan Puppy Large Breed Athletic Lamb & Rice. last time I switched to Pro Plan Puppy Large Breed Robust Chicken & Rice. Ever since Cassie is not doing well. She scratches her self often and scratching on the wall, she has loose stools and they stink a lot, they didn't stink before. She sleeps more and she is not so energetic as she used to be. It's like she is in lethargy. She also has otitis but I don't remember if that was before the switch or not.

So I'm asking you if it's the brand or the ingredients that causing all this? I'm having a vet appointment in about an hour and we will discuss about changing her food. I'm thinking switching to Acana.

I'd appreciate any comments the soonest before the vet appointment.

Thank you.

If dogs do not go to heaven, then I prefer to follow them where they go.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

smokey is offline Senior Member

If she was fine on the ProPlan Lamb and Rice and not on the ProPlan Chicken and Rice I would guess it's the ingredients and not the brand. Her ears being affected at the same time would tell me to ask the vet about allergies. Good Luck, I hope you get it resolved so she can feel better.
    Smokey 4/25/2012

BauersMom is offline Senior Member

Was she doing well on the Lamb and Rice? If so, why did you switch her?
    Debi and Bauer
    Some people are like slinkies. Not really good for much, but bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Diesel_Dawg is offline Senior Member

I would say ingredients. Not all dogs can tolerate chicken - Diesel is one of them. I don't recall why you switched within the same brand?

LuvBrown is offline Senior Member

Some dogs have an intolerance to chicken. sounds like that's your dog. put it back on lamb.

The vet didn't see us after all due to an emergency. He had to operate a dying dog that came after us. When I saw the dog I knew she was too sick so I gave my turn to the other owner.

There was no reason in switching between brand. I thought to give her something else and since it was the same brand I thought it would be ok.

I gave Cassie cooked chicken a couple of times, just small pieces and she was ok with it. I don't know why she's not ok with her kibble.

I have read Acana's ingredients and they are chicken. But as they say their food is biological appropriate and all of their ingredients are fresh and they have the minimum amount of ethoquinox that a laboratory car detect (if I remember correctly).

If there is a need to change food it would be Acana because from what I read I just feel better giving Acana instead of any other brand. I know, you've already told me not to believe what I read and they all have a good marketing to sell their products. But they made me trust Acana more than any other brand. Even Pro Plan.

Diesel_Dawg is offline Senior Member

It isn't so much trusting what you read as it is doing enough research to back up what you read. Don't go with one article, one post, etc.

Acana has many products that do not have chicken -- Diesel is allergic & is on Acana. I currently have him on two now - originally Pacifica, and recently added Grasslands to give him different sources of protein. Grasslands has chicken fat I believe, so far so good. Both are grain free which is primarily why he is on Acana to begin with.

It is a good company, no recall history & a few JLers feed it with as good results as I have with Diesel.

Odd that she is good with chicken but not that formula of kibble. Typically a brand will have the same base ingredients and just vary the key ones, but check the list of ingredients perhaps there are other items that weren't in the previous one.

Acana has 2 puppy foods both of them with chicken so I don't know if she will be ok with that. But I will check the Pro Plans ingredients maybe it's something else.

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

Sophie is allergic to chicken and corn. Could be other grains as well, so we have her on grain free. She had repeated ear infections and was scratching to the point she was losing her hair. We went grain and chicken free and within 2 weeks we saw a big improvement.
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

Quote Originally Posted by Sophiesmama View Post
    We went grain and chicken free and within 2 weeks we saw a big improvement.
    Which brand has grain and chicken free?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast