Coccidiosis
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coccidiosis

hollyberries4 is offline Junior Member

DefaultCoccidiosis

We picked up our new puppy today. 8 week old chocolate lab. Very reputable breeder.
    He told us she has coccidiosis, but that medications really are not necessary. He said they were about 5 or 6 days into it. How long should I expect this to last??!
    Puppy has energy, and she seems good. Pretty thirsty. Blood in stool a little this morning, but stool looked different this evening. So I'm not sure if she's in the mend? Anyone know more about this??

Holly (Libby)

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

dogmom is offline Senior Member

We always treat Coccidiosis.

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

According to this link: Coccidiosis In Dogs (Coccidia) - Symptoms,Treatment & Prevention Coccidiosis needs to be treated for 2 weeks with a sulfa drug. So it doesn't sound like your pup was treated long enough. I think you need to see your vet.
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Hershey123 is offline Member

Since you just picked up the puppy I assume you are bringing it to the vet for a routine exam. You should.

Ask your vet what he or she recommends. Coccidia is generally mild and self-limiting but let a professional make that decision.

labby is offline Senior Member

Albon is what you need from your vet. and yes you ALWAYS treat it.

Laura

LuvBrown is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by labby View Post
    Albon is what you need from your vet. and yes you ALWAYS treat it.
    Ditto.

I took Libby to the vet today. They are now checking her for Parvo, and if that comes up negative, they will test her feces for worms. Her stools this morning were so bloody and bad. I feel really mad right now. I have had this dog for 2 days. Thats it. I got sold a sick puppy, and if she actually does have Parvo, ( even she has had her first shots) I am gonna be so mad. $800 for a dog isnt cheap! Im thinking about making the breeder pay for the vet visit today. Its gonna cost me $100 bucks for the Parvo test and the Fecal test! The breeder told me specifically that it was Coccidiosis, which is mild and will go away. Well, my dog hasn't eaten. I had to force feed her last night. Feeling kinda upset right now!

Diesel_Dawg is offline Senior Member

Cool your jets Yes it is upsetting, but you took the puppy knowing it was sick with something, just not how sick. I would have left the pup with the breeder until the issue was resolved, if not go for another breeder altogether. Shame on the breeder for allowing a sick pup to go to its new home while sick and for not being truthful (or perhaps knowledgable) about the illness.

Take care of the puppy, then figure out how to deal with the breeder. Vent away, but don't blast the breeder it won't get you anywhere, cooler heads prevail.

I was sold a puppy with a pink puppy collar entangled in his digestive tract. He was perfectly fine when I got him, no mention of anything as I am guessing she didn't see him gobble it up like Lady and the Tramp eating spaghetti. By the 4th day with me he was vomiting blood, pooping blood, lethargic and actually passed out on me. $2500 endoscopy and e-vet stay later. Seems one of the girl pups in the litter was missing a collar. It was a struggle to get her to reimburse me anything but she finally settled.

Well, so I have her home. $150 later. She does NOT have Parvo, thankfully. But indeed the Coccidiosis. Its because the breeder is 2.5 hours away. We drove there to pick up a healthy puppy, and he probably woudln't have mentioned it, had the puppy not pooped right in front of me and it was full of blood. I think at least he could do is pay for the meds no? That way we split it 50/50? He straight up told me it was no biggie, that its really common. So I believed him. He said it would heal up without a vet visit. The vet said that even my KIDS can catch this if they touch her and get any sort of poop fragment on them, so I should be keeping my kids away from her. She is on 3 medications because they werent sure which would kill this particular strain. Hopefully we are on the mend! I feel bad because I wont let the dog in my house right now unless she is in her crate because I cannot afford to get some Coccidia eggs in my carpet! gross!

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

You're not leaving a sick puppy outside, are you?
    Last edited by BigBrownDog; 08-20-2012 at 08:15 PM.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast