Morning bile
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Morning bile

zonapups is offline Senior Member

DefaultMorning bile

I'm at odds on what to do.

We start last week switching our pups food AGAIN after having diarrhea problems with our pups. Ruled out parasites, worms and overfeeding. We finally just bit the bullet and took them off Blue Buffalo Wilderness to Blue Buffalo Chicken & Rice Puppy (vet wants them on puppy for a bit longer). The Chicken & Rice is not as rich so we hoped it would be a better fit before moving to another brand.

So far so good BUT......every morning for the past 3 mornings Leo has been having a case of the morning vomits! Like at 4am! Talk about a wake up call.

It's pretty much bile....clear liquid with some foam. He then threw up some white foamy stuff and licked it up before I could even blink! UGH! Of course he leaves me to clean up the first pile.

We just have till tomorrow of 1/4 old food and 3/4 new food. They are on 1 cup 3 X day. They get their last meal at 8pm. No other vomiting during the day.

I don't want to increase their food mid switch especially since we had problems with their old food. He seems to be doing fine otherwise. I'm at odds on what to do. Any ideas?

Leo and Zoey - born 4/21/12. The loves of my life (other than the hubby)

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Is one puppy eating the other's food maybe? Do you supervise their meal? That symptom is usually due to an empty tummy but I'd be really surprised if he actually was empty after eating so late at night. Our she be stealing his food?

Or he may need a bigger meal than she does. Are they eating the same amounts?
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrownDog View Post
    Is one puppy eating the other's food maybe? Do you supervise their meal? That symptom is usually due to an empty tummy but I'd be really surprised if he actually was empty after eating so late at night. Our she be stealing his food?

Or he may need a bigger meal than she does. Are they eating the same amounts?
    We do supervise their meals especially dinner. Recently, they both been trying to steal the other's food ESPECIALLY AT DINNER....just depends on who finishes first. We intervene immediately but it seemed to crop up during the switch and they have been really bad about it. We've put them at opposite ends of the room to ensure no one tries to steal anyone's food. Didn't have this problem before the switch.

I suspected an empty tummy the second day it happened so we pushed their meal back from 7:30 to 8pm to see if it helped. It didn't. They both get the same portion and pretty much clean their bowls. I would like to give him more but was told it's not a good idea while switching foods to increase the quantity given.

I'm at odds....should I increase his last meal against normal practice of not making changes during a switch...or do I wait it out till they fully switched over and then increase his meal? I hate seeing him sick in the morning. Breaks my heart.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Belles mom is offline Senior Member

I'd give him a biscuit/milkbone or something similar later in the evening, maybe just as you ate going to bed. I have a dog that boards that een if she gets her evening meal 10:00 pm is barfing bile by 8:00 am. She needs something in her tummy almost all the time. During the day, she gets training treats, and poop treats (a treat for having pooped), so there is usually something in her tummy at all times.

Karen and the gang
    BBI Kodi's Journey To Anotch (Journey)
    BBI Kodi's Blackpowder Striker (Flint)

Diesel_Dawg is offline Senior Member

How many hours apart are the 3 meals? Agree with Karen, maybe a bedtime cookie when you guys go to bed?

Quote Originally Posted by Diesel_Dawg View Post
    How many hours apart are the 3 meals? Agree with Karen, maybe a bedtime cookie when you guys go to bed?
    Meals were breakfast at 7:30am, lunch between 1 and 2pm, Dinner at 7:30pm. Since the vomiting started I've been giving him breakfast earlier to avoid him continuing to vomit. They get a Milkbone in the morning after they've gone potty (usually around 6:00 am or so. I take them out when I get up) and a Nylabone Dental stick right before bed at 9:30 or 10pm after we take them out for their last potty break before we go down for the night. We are almost out of the Milkbone and dental sticks which were a size small so we are moving up to medium when we get a new box but I don't think the smaller size is making the difference. Should we get the larger Milkbones? I don't want to go too large too quick and throw off their intake.

P.S. We don't go to bed until they are done with their dental sticks. We give it to them and change into our PJ's. Once they are done we turn off the lights and slip into bed and they go into their crates to sleep.

justine is offline Senior Member

Unfortunately with the food changes, their systems might just be a bit upset. I would switch slowly over about 2 weeks and like the others have said, you may have a dog that always needs to have a bit of food in their tummy.

Since your dog is throwing up bile a few hours after eating the Nylabone dental treat, maybe try stopping those altogether and replace it with another treat of some sort. Some dogs have a tough time breaking down certain treats.

LuvBrown is offline Senior Member

I would give a treat before bedtime. 12 hours is a long time with no food in the stomach for some dogs.

Diesel_Dawg is offline Senior Member

The problem is the hours between meals. 6 hours between breakfast & lunch, and 6 hours between lunch and dinner, but a whole 12 hours between dinner & breakfast. That's a long time to wait, even if they get a cookie before bed & in the morning. Can you try to space them 8 hours apart?

If the problem is their lunch is between 1 or 2pm because that's when you are able to leave work to come home & feed them - what about using a Kong stuffed with their lunch portion of kibble & a little peanut butter? If you freeze it the night before it will take even longer to consume then you can easily push their dinner back a couple hours.

Agree with Justine about the dental stix - they are difficult to break down once consumed, perhaps switch with another biscuit instead.

labby is offline Senior Member

My dogs did this on Nutro. It didn't matter what I did, they would vomit bile. Switched to a different food and the problem was resolved.

Laura

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast