NEW TO SITE--LAB PUPPY LOSING HAIR ON STOMACH!

Thread: NEW TO SITE--LAB PUPPY LOSING HAIR ON STOMACH!

Ashli318 is offline Junior Member

DefaultNEW TO SITE--LAB PUPPY LOSING HAIR ON STOMACH!

I have been "googling" and looking up why my 10+month old puppy is losing hair on her tummy and neck. Sofie is a rescue that we got about 3 months ago. She was spayed, and the hair just grew back very thin but now the thinning is all over her tummy. She also has a bald spot on her neck but I believe that is due to her collar (she never wore one before). She was abused before we got her and believe she was an outside only dog because she was so afraid to come inside the house. We are not exactly sure how old Sof is due to the fact that she was just dumped off at a rescue.
    It is very hot here (Sacramento) so maybe she is losing hair because it is summer? Allergies? She is on Revolution every month, so she has a flea protective on her. She is not red or itchy. It is not in rings for ring worm, and she has had all her shots. I looked up Mange, and the only symptom she has would be the hair loss...I uploaded a picture of her! Can anyone tell me what they think is wrong? I took her to the vet for a non-related issue (swollen paw) and the vet just glanced at her stomach and said to "watch it".. She did get antibiotics for her swollen paw.

Thanks!

-Concerned puppy mom of 2
    aka: Ashli
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

Our Sophie gets pretty thin on her belly in the summer. If your dog doesn't seem itchy or you don't see fleas, it is probably the hot weather. Labs shed like crazy! Our Sophie isn't as thin as yours, but her chest is definately thinner than winter time. Sophie began to get thin hair on her inner thighs last summer. Our vet had us put her on a grain free diet. We could see red whelps on her inner thighs though, and she began to lose hair on her flanks too. She had bald spots the size of the palms of my hands! This year, she is 16 months and when she shed her winter coat, her belly and under arms have much thinner hair than she did in the winter. She recently was at the vet, and she said "she's perfect"! I just looked closely at the picture, and it sure looks like she has red bumps on her inner thighs and the groin area where her back legs meet the body. If she is bumpy, I would investigate fleas, and possibly try a grain free food. Since she is a rescue, I would give the vet a call, just to see if blood work is warranted.
    Last edited by Sophiesmama; 08-16-2012 at 12:18 AM.
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

Ashli318 is offline Junior Member

I just looked and didn't see or feel any bumps but can see where you did in the picture. I wrote the rescue where I got her from and they said the same thing as you..try grain free. Thanks for the reply!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Samson is offline Senior Member

If it's just a patch on the neck then I would get it checked out at the vets. Could be mange ?

Collar wear causes a bald ring around the neck.

Personally, i choose not to leave the collar on my dogs unless we are out and about for this exact reason.

labby is offline Senior Member

I'm betting it's due to the heat you're having.

Laura

Canula2000 is offline Senior Member

Could be the hot weather, my lab's fur gets very thin on his belly and chest in the summer months. Looks very similiar to your pic. But I wouldn't rule out allergies. You might want to get a vet check just to be sure.

"Every boy should have two things: a dog, and a mother willing to let him have one"
    - Anonymous

Tanya is offline Senior Member

Always good to check in with a vet for health concerns (not saying it is wrong to ask online as well!)'

From what I can see in the photo, it looks like what my Rocky's belly normally looks like in the summer, he used to get very bald. It always grew back in the fall and winter. For some reason he didn't lose it this year though.

If the collar is potentially causing hair loss (patch on the neck) maybe check if it is on too tight or if maybe it is dirty and needs washing (or a change in collar) or if the material is too irritating (in which case a different collar may be preferable). Even if a dog wears a collar most of the time it should not cause baldness.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Samson View Post
    If it's just a patch on the neck then I would get it checked out at the vets. Could be mange ?

Collar wear causes a bald ring around the neck.

Personally, i choose not to leave the collar on my dogs unless we are out and about for this exact reason.
    Sophie had a patch go bald under her neck, not all the way around. We began taking her collar off and only having it on for walking etc, and in a week the hair grew back.
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye