Are dogs over vaccinated?

Thread: Are dogs over vaccinated?

my2labs is offline Senior Member

DefaultAre dogs over vaccinated?

I am reading a book and the author suggests that dogs are over vaccinated and that this is causing them to become sicker, development immunity problems, and die earlier. What are your thoughts on vaccinations?

Sam 9-27-07

Mojo 7-6-12

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

I have heard this too. I did the 3 puppy shots, and a 4th parvo at 4 months along with rabies and lipto. There are many others, and I would just get the ones necessary for the area in which you live.
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

Mike Richards is offline Senior Member

This is a big debate, Vets are a profit making business like any other. Do they over play the injections to make money or not.

I will always get my Boys to the Vet for their boosters because we live near the countryside with foxes,deer and all the other local wildlife the get exposed to (better safe that sorry). I have a friend with two Black Labs and he is on the other side, his eldest Sam is now 14years and has never had a problem.

Some also say they only need them every 3 years.

Vaccines 'are making our dogs sick as vets cash in' | Mail Online
    Ozzy Born 19th March 2012

Axel Born 19th Aug 2009

Never moon a werewolf....

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

I do the puppy shots and the boosters the following year and then have bloodwork done at the yearly check up to check the levels (for all but rabies which has to be done every 3 years by law). I do not believe in giving the other vaccinations unless necessary. My vet does the same for his dogs.
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

LuvBrown is offline Senior Member

I think they are. Once they have had their 1 yr Booster, all I do is rabies after that.

NancyO is offline Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by LuvBrown View Post
    I think they are. Once they have had their 1 yr Booster, all I do is rabies after that.
    Just curious do you titer or no? My lab is 4 now and is suppose to get his rabies which he will and his DHP (I think that's it) in October. I'm seriously considering not doing the DHP - he had all his puppy shots and his 1 year booster. Is it expensive to titer every year?

Nancy

slackercodemonkey is offline Senior Member

Do you tell your mechanic how to fix your car? Do you tell your doctor what prescriptions to prescribe? Find a vet you can trust and follow what they prescribe. I think the argument that vets can over vaccinate for the money isn't very good. I don't really pay attention to the cost, but from what I remember the cost of vaccinations range from around $10 to around $25...I think. I think this is a bargain because normally I spend time chatting with the techs talking about my dog. If anything comes up they ask the vet and he answers. Sometimes he even comes in and asks follow up questions. Normally, Layla and I just take too much of their time for them to be doing it for the money. I have even gone in there for cuts and a tick bite. They examined her and send me on my way free of charge.

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by NancyO View Post
    Just curious do you titer or no? My lab is 4 now and is suppose to get his rabies which he will and his DHP (I think that's it) in October. I'm seriously considering not doing the DHP - he had all his puppy shots and his 1 year booster. Is it expensive to titer every year?

Nancy
    Your vet can probably quote you a price - but the short answer is - yes - it is probably expensive.

I have a diabetic 6 year old dog and I started titering him this year. Just because he is a bit of a fragile flower and I am pretty sure he has plenty of immunity. If he was not a dog with a medical issue, I'd probably just continue the basic immunizations. I don't get the add ons for my dogs for the most part (bordatella, influenza, lepto (but may change my mind on that) lyme, corona, adenovirus).

Some matter more to people in certain geographic areas.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.