Has anybody gotten a stomach tact for their dog?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Has anybody gotten a stomach tact for their dog?

April in SC is offline Junior Member

DefaultHas anybody gotten a stomach tact for their dog?

Hunley went to the vet yesterday for his final round of shots and my vet wants to do a Gastropexy or stomach tact when he does Hunley's neuter. Has anybody had this done? I have spent all morning researching about the procedure but still undecided. My vet says its not a 100% gaurantee to stop bloat and is a whopping $734.00 cost plus neuter. I don't know if I want to put him through that if not 100% gaurantee. Any advice?
    April
    Hunley 2/1/2012 Chocolate lab
    Dory 7/10/2012 Chug
    Sam 4/3/2011 Cocker Spaniel
    Gunner: My sweet Angel Boy, Cocker Spaniel 10/10/99-8/20/2012

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

labby is offline Senior Member

Okay, now don't take this the wrong way but.....WHY ON EARTH WOULD YOU DO THIS TO PREVENT A PROBLEM HE MIGHT NEVER HAVE? Whew, okay, I feel better now. Bloat can usually be avoided by being careful. No exercise at least a hour before and a hour after eating. Put water on the food to prevent drinking huge amounts of water after eating. We just wet the food, we do NOT soak it and we use tepid water.

My first Lab was a bloater. You'd look at her cross eyed and she would bloat. Of course, eating brillo pads and fun stuff like that might have contributed to her issues. Since that dog, I have not had a case of bloat here. *knock wood* I learned everything I could about it and my animal husbandry revolves around that knowledge. There is no way I would subject one of my dogs to that surgery unless they were regular bloaters.

So no. Please don't.

Oh and find another vet. He's an idiot.

Laura

Belles mom is offline Senior Member

I agree with Labby. If your dog has not had bloat in the past, your vet is just looking to stick with a big bill, and buy himself something expensive. If your dog has had bloat it may be something to consider.

The person that owns the kennel I work at had her GSD bloat past week when absolutely nothing was different was done during her daily routine. She opted to have the tack done and the dog is recovering nicely. This person is extraordinarily careful about the dog's feeding and exercise, but it still happened. The dog is very active in Schzhund, so there is a lot of jumping, lunging and excitement.

No I would not do a tack as just a preventative measure.

Karen and the gang
    BBI Kodi's Journey To Anotch (Journey)
    BBI Kodi's Blackpowder Striker (Flint)

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

LuvBrown is offline Senior Member

Labs don't bloat enough to warrant the surgery. Other breeds, this surgery is common...like in bloodhounds.

Unless you feel like making the next payment on your Vet's Mercedes, I'd tell him to shove it. And find a new vet.

Diesel_Dawg is offline Senior Member

Someone on the board did it for their Lab but it was because they had to take him in for a digestive tract obstruction surgery and previous history with bloat (but I think in a different dog) anyway, search "bloat" or "tack" on the board & the thread will come up.

I don't think it should be a standard procedure in a dog that has never had an issue, it's like a person getting laser eye surgery when they have 20/20 vision.... just in case it gets worse one day. Makes zero sense.

Educate yourself on the topic of bloat and exercise caution with your dog with respect to hoovering its food, gulping water (whether tepid or ice - in particular). Look at how many members belong to this board, there is probably just a handful that have ever had direct experience with bloat.

And I agree with Laura you need to find a new vet, seems yours has jumped on a bandwagon for expensive precautionary surgeries that may never be required. Having his stomach tacked could also cause other digestive issues -- why put him at risk when he is perfectly fine?
    Last edited by Diesel_Dawg; 08-15-2012 at 10:29 AM.

Samson is offline Senior Member

Talk about touting for business ! Change your vet FGS

zonapups is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by labby View Post
    Okay, now don't take this the wrong way but.....WHY ON EARTH WOULD YOU DO THIS TO PREVENT A PROBLEM HE MIGHT NEVER HAVE? Whew, okay, I feel better now. Bloat can usually be avoided by being careful. No exercise at least a hour before and a hour after eating. Put water on the food to prevent drinking huge amounts of water after eating. We just wet the food, we do NOT soak it and we use tepid water.
    ^^^^^ This! I would also add No ice in your pups water after a walk or to cool him down. Ice in moderation or as a treat is ok....just not when your pup is trying to cool himself off after being out in the heat or after exercise. Same thing goes for ice water. We use a large floor fan for that.....our pups just plop themselves in front of it to cool down. Works wonders for us.

Quote Originally Posted by April in SC View Post
    My vet says its not a 100% gaurantee to stop bloat and is a whopping $734.00 cost plus neuter. I don't know if I want to put him through that if not 100% gaurantee. Any advice?
    Want my advice? Take the $734 and put it in a CD for a rainy day when your pup does have bloat and needs treatment. You will probably find that you will never use the funds. As long as you follow normal precautions to avoid bloat you shouldn't have any reasons to get a tact done unless your pup already has a history bloat issues or is at high risk.

Leo and Zoey - born 4/21/12. The loves of my life (other than the hubby)

April in SC is offline Junior Member

Thanks for all the advice. This is my first lab so I have alot to learn. All ready made a appt with a new highly recommended vet!
    April
    Hunley 2/1/2012 Chocolate lab
    Dory 7/10/2012 Chug
    Sam 4/3/2011 Cocker Spaniel
    Gunner: My sweet Angel Boy, Cocker Spaniel 10/10/99-8/20/2012

zonapups is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by April in SC View Post
    Thanks for all the advice. This is my first lab so I have alot to learn. All ready made a appt with a new highly recommended vet!
    Good to hear! Gotta find the right vet for you and your pup that makes you comfortable. Hope this new one works out better than the last!

Leo and Zoey - born 4/21/12. The loves of my life (other than the hubby)

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

Boy, I would never do a proceedure on my girl that is unwarranted. I think it could be asking for complications that could be unforseen. I wouldn't do it, if it were me. We had our girl spayed and the vet (and we have a really good one) never mentioned anything like this. I would be afraid to do it.
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast