Laryngeal Paralysis

Thread: Laryngeal Paralysis

lorlee is offline Junior Member

DefaultLaryngeal Paralysis

What kinds of medications has anyone tried using for laryngeal paralysis? My 11 year old chocolate lab has been diagnosed and we would prefer not to put him through surgery.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

TBGSAM is offline Senior Member

The only thing we give Tootsie is benadryl. She was gagging more then usual this summer with the heat I talked to someone and they suggested it to us. She only gets one pill a day unless it is really humid/hot then we give her one at lunch time the other is at dinner time. This is the only meds we have ever given Tootsie to treat her laryngeal paralysis. She is also on pepcid as we were told the benedryl could upset her tummy.

We looked into the tie back surgery 10 yrs ago when we first adopted Tootsie she as 3 at that time. There was little information and what I did find scared me so we decided to do what we could for her and hope for the best. Tootsie LP is caused by having her vocal cords cut, she is a puppy mill survivor.

We keep Tootsie's weight down, elevate her food dish, use a harness for walks the only thing her collar does is hold her id tags, keep her as stress free as possible. She goes out and plays with her siblings, runs and swims in her pool. We keep her and her siblings out of the heat of the day, they all just go out do their thing and back inside.

I think there are others on board that have had the surgery or have treated for LP. I hope you find the answers you need to help your little boy.
    Coleman - CGC blk lab 6/02/97-2/25/08 adopted
    Tootsie - choc lab 10/19/99-8/03/13 adopted
    Bailey - CGC newf/fc 7/12/00-07/15/14 rescued
    Ginger - BT 11/16/05 rescued
    Sarah - blk lab 6/22/06 rescued
    rescued felines - AJ - 8/00 - 1/11, Merlin - 5/20/05, Tucker - 8/3/10, Penny - 7/7/13

MicksMom is offline Senior Member

I put Mick on ArthriSoothe about a year before he was diagnosed (a couple of months after his 11th birthday). I thought he was slowing down because of arthritis. Eventually I learned it actually had more to do with the LP (acquired/age onset LP causes muscle wasting from the rear forward). Anyway, we're thinking the ArthriSoothe was one of the reasons Mick's LP didn't progress as fast as the vet thought it would. Little by little, other supplements were added- MSM, Biotin, Cholodin and Vitamin B Complex. Except for the ArthriSoothe and the Biotin, all Mick's supplements were crushed. The Biotin was a capsule, so I just opened it and sprinkled it on his food. I bought the horse version of the ArthriSoothe (a powder), and adjusted the dosage (more economical that way). At 75 pounds, Mick’s maintenance dose was 1/8 tsp a day. With these supplements and lifestyle changes, we had another 4+ years with Mick after his diagnosis.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

lorlee is offline Junior Member

Thanks for your replies. I will definitely try some of your suggestions. My boys, Morgan (choc lab 11yrs) and Remington (black lab 8yrs-both rescues) take cosequin, pet tabs and grizzly salmon oil. We have elevated Morgan's food bowl. The hot weather and getting excited seem to be the worst combination for him, our labs are so excitable and they tend to feed off each others stimulation level.

MicksMom is offline Senior Member

Besides the supplements, we made a bunch of life style changes for Mick. I'm just going to copy & paste the entire thing I typed up about it here, including what I posted above. Maybe there will be something else here that will help.

As scary as it is, it's important to stay calm when he is having trouble breathing. Stress will make the episodes worse (or bring them on). Just sitting and petting & talking to him during an episode should help.
    Heat, humidity, cold and wind will bring on an episode. Not only did Mick wear a coat when it was cold out, but, in the bitter cold or wind he also wore a homemade scarf (the end of a thick hunting sock held in place with a Velcro muzzle).

Also, get him used to drinking out of a spritz bottle. Spritzing some water in his mouth will help end episodes. At first we thought it was the cold water, but eventually we realized it was actually the swallowing that stopped the episodes. You don't want to "flood" him with water, just little bits at a time. Plus it's an easy way to give him a quick drink when you're out someplace.

Avoid putting pressure on his neck. A tracking style harness is great for walking dogs with LP because of how the straps are. Premier's Sure Fit harness is the same style, and what we used. A leash can be clipped to either the ring at the front of the chest or the one on the back.

Oh- if they aren't already- raise his food and water dishes so he doesn't have to stretch his neck to eat or drink. My vet suggested feeding smaller meals more often. When I told him I fed Mick out of a huge dish so the food was spread thin, he said that would work, too. The idea is for them to eat slow.

I put Mick on ArthriSoothe about a year before he was diagnosed. I thought he was slowing down because of arthritis. Eventually I learned it actually had more to do with the LP (acquired/age onset LP causes muscle wasting from the rear forward). Anyway, we're thinking the ArthriSoothe was one of the reasons Mick's LP didn't progress as fast as the vet thought it would. Little by little, other supplements were added- MSM, Biotin, Cholodin and Vitamin B Complex. Except for the ArthriSoothe and the Biotin, all Mick's supplements were crushed. The Biotin was a capsule, so I just opened it and sprinkled it on his food. I bought the horse version of the ArthriSoothe (a powder), and adjusted the dosage (more economical that way). At 75 pounds, Mick’s maintenance dose was 1/8 tsp a day.

The biggest mistake we made with Mick was treating him like an invalid after he was diagnosed. He lost a good amount of muscle from lack of exercise in that period. And, with LP, once it's lost, it's gone.