Thoughts on insurance

Thread: Thoughts on insurance

my2labs is offline Senior Member

DefaultThoughts on insurance

We get our new chocolate male pup in two weeks and have been considering VPI insurance for him. My vet takes it and was wondering what you all thought about it. Any advice or comments would be great. Thanks.

Sam 9-27-07

Mojo 7-6-12

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

I got insurance for Maxx after reading so many horror stories on this forum. Thankfully we have never had to use it but I like the peace of mind it gives me with an energetic, adventerous Lab puppy. There was NOTHING he would not put in his mouth! At 13 months he is much better and he responds to "leave it" very well but there is still the occassional time that a "treasure" he finds is just too tempting or he can be sneaky. I was also worried about joint issues which can happen at any age. I do not have it for Emma who is 6 but she has never been mouthy and other than routine visits to the vet and being spayed she has been a healthy girl. When Ozzy got sick we spent $1000's trying to figure out what was going on in the 2 weeks before he died and I wiped out my emergency vet fund and then some. I am strongly consideing adding Emma to the insurance because of what happened with Ozzy, I would never want to have to think before I did everything in my power to treat any illness or emegency.
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

Thanks for the reply. My husband and wished we had had it when Abbey had double reconstructive ACL surgery on both hind legs when she was 6 and Cinder when she started having vision problems and a seizure when she was 9. I think for the peace of mind, I am going to sign him up for it as soon as we can.

Sam 9-27-07

Mojo 7-6-12

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Janet is offline Member

We had VIP insurance with our last pup Murphy. He was sick most of his too short 8 month life. VIP paid very little for his care! They did pay out more than we paid in but out of about $10,000 dollars in bills they repaid less than $3000. Now with our 14 week old Mulligan we have Trupanion. I hope we never need it but I am glad to have it.

Long story short; shop around.

Diesel_Dawg is offline Senior Member

It depends on your financial situation really. A lot of members here just have a savings account for their dogs & dip into that for vet bills, etc. Great if you have enough to sock away, not so great if you live paycheck to paycheck.

I opted for insurance for Diesel as it was only $21/mth. It is decent coverage, but I don't claim every incidental. I did claim his bout of pneumonia that ran me about $1200, I paid the $75 deductible and got their max for one-time major illness reimbursement of $500. So, had I just had a savings account for him, I'd be out an extra $425... so it has worked for me.

The problem with just socking money aside is let's face it, if you need it because you become sick and are off work, lose your job, or your car breaks down, etc there goes Fido's "insurance" money. That's just the reality of it and that is why I chose the route of insurance. To each their own. If you go the route of insurance, do your homework on rates & coverage!!!

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

We opted to get a CareCredit card. It is a credit card that is for medical. You can use it at vets, dentists etc. You can apply online at carecredit.com and get an instant answer on approval and amount of credit line. The payments, should you need to use it are small. Interest rate is good. I got it and socked it away in case of an emergency with Sophie.
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

I just looked at the Trupanion site and like that it is accredited with the BBB. I read the comments and saw that most people were happy with this insurance. Definitely gives me something to think about. We have a rainy day fund if needed but it wouldn't be enough to cover anything major or an emergency so that would be why I want insurance.

Sam 9-27-07

Mojo 7-6-12

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by my2labs View Post
    I just looked at the Trupanion site and like that it is accredited with the BBB. I read the comments and saw that most people were happy with this insurance. Definitely gives me something to think about. We have a rainy day fund if needed but it wouldn't be enough to cover anything major or an emergency so that would be why I want insurance.
    I think you are making a wise decision, God forbid you had ACL tears in both knees, you could be looking at $8000 - $10,000 in surgery costs. Scary thought but it can happen. Having insurance, a vet fund and even the CareCredit card that Pam talked about seems like the best option if you are as paranoid as I am! Sometimes I wish I could turn back time to my days of oblivion, lol!
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

rayluckgoo is offline Senior Member

We have Embrace for our three labs. I like it because you can adjust the percent and the deductible. One year we went past the deductible and quickly got a check. I'm not a good saver so I like the peace of mind.