Help with dry food recomendations
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help with dry food recomendations

frank is offline Junior Member

DefaultHelp with dry food recomendations

Ok I can ask ten people and I'll get ten different answers. My lab is 14 months old and had been feeding her Purina One puppy food and since she turned 12 months went to Purina One adult with the main ingredient being beef. I was recently told by a couple of vets to stay away from dry food that has wheat in it and beef as the main ingredient like the Purina does. So here's my question. What are the top 3 or 4 dry foods out there that you all are using that I can pick from. I want to be able to use a food that I can get at Petsmart. Eukanuba, Science diet ? I should mention that we have been battleing ear infections. Thanks in advance for your input.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

bearbuddymarie is offline Senior Member

DefaultI'm no expert

but use and recommend California Natural
    Buddy 11

bella 5

Bruno 3

MicksMom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by frank View Post
    ...Eukanuba, Science diet ?...
    No. They're pretty grain heavy, too.

Quote Originally Posted by frank View Post
    ...I should mention that we have been battleing ear infections...
    It's rather pricey, but you can try the Natural Balance line of Limited Ingredient Diets. They're grain free. Caleb's ears have gotten much better since I switched him from Pro Plan Selects to them. I don't know if PetSmart carries them, but I'm pretty sure PetCo does.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Lucky6 is offline Senior Member

http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_f...p/cat/3/page/2

This a great website that reviews all sorts of dog foods. Do you have a feed store in town? Or a Hall's hardware store? I was surprised to find that my little town's feed store carried such high quality brands that even petsmart didn't carry and at lower prices. Petsmart is soooo overpriced. Also a lot of times the feed stores will special order for you as well. I would start with that route first. What dog food to feed depends on your budget. The honest answer is you get what you pay for. Pay little get low quality. Pay medium, get medium grade, and so on. I've been on the dog food bandwagon for over 10 years now, all of the good brands were good then and good now. There is wellness, innova, california natural, solid gold...just decide how much you can afford. Remember though, the better the dog food the less you feed so take that into consideration. Good luck!!!
    Katie adopted by koko

MicksMom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky6 View Post
    ...Remember though, the better the dog food the less you feed so take that into consideration...
    My dogs must be odd- it seems like no matter what I fed, Mick required the same amount of food (Pro Plan, Candiae, Nature's Variety, Natural Balance). The same with Caleb. He's eating 1/2 cup less now then he was over the summer, but he's been less active since then. He did the same thing last year.

Lucky6 is offline Senior Member

Innova vs. Evo, EVO requires less, I think the grain free formulas do, atleast this is what I found with these products. But it only makes sense, more nutrients in the food the less you need to meet daily requirements.
    Katie adopted by koko

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

Many of us feed Kirkland Chicken & Rice which is the house brand of Costco (just as Kenmore is for Sears). It contains no wheat or corn. It's not identical but somewhat similar to Diamond Naturals** Chicken & Rice.

I'll ETA the link to the Diamond Naturals formula and the store locator

http://www.diamondpet.com/products/d...t_dog_formula/

http://www.diamondpet.com/dealer_locator/

Here's the formula for the Kirkland:

Kirkland Signature - Chicken, Rice & Vegetables Formula

Ingredients:
    Chicken, chicken meal, whole grain brown rice, cracked pearled barley, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols and Vitamin E), egg product, beet pulp, potatoes, fishmeal, flaxseed, natural flavor, brewers dried yeast, millet, carrots, peas, kelp, apples, dried skim milk, cranberry powder, potassium chloride, salt, choline chloride, rosemary extract, parsley flake, dried chicory root, glucosamine hydrochloride, vitamin E supplement, iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, copper proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, potassium iodide, thiamine mononitrate, manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, chondroitin sulfate, ascorbic acid, vitamin A supplement, biotin, calcium pantothenate, manganese sulfate, sodium selenite, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, menadione sodium bisulfite (source of vitamin K activity), riboflavin, vitamin D supplement, folic acid

Guaranteed Analysis
    Protein: 26%
    Fat: 16%
    Fiber: 4%
    Moisture: 10%

Calorie Content: 3,754 kcal/kg (393 kcals/cup) Calculated Metabolizable Energy

Last edited by Bob Pr.; 12-01-2009 at 01:15 PM.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

Thank you all who gave feedback to my question. After spending two days in feed stores and pet stores and reading labels until I was blue in the face [could have been cause I've had the flu since last Friday] I went to Costco and got their Kirkland chicken and rice. Thanks again !

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

FWIW, when I first started feeding Puff the Kirkland -- about your Lab's age -- when we got through about half the 40 lb. bag, she lost interest in eating.

After much experimenting, I decided the problem was the food going stale somewhat as crackers do when left opened on a counter for months.

After further experimenting with storage, what worked best for us was to immediately transfer -- as soon as a new 40 lb. bag was opened -- its contents to 10-11 sealed Ziplock freezer bags.

For several years, I stored half of these in my freezer, taking a next bag out the day before needed to let it warm up to room temperature.

The last several years I've found that the freezing is no longer necessary to keep Puff's appetite.

I strongly suspect that's because just as people lose taste sensitivity with age (reduced by half at age 60-65) that our dogs also suffer such losses. And Puff is very close to that age (in dog years).

Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Pr. View Post
    FWIW, when I first started feeding Puff the Kirkland -- about your Lab's age -- when we got through about half the 40 lb. bag, she lost interest in eating.

After much experimenting, I decided the problem was the food going stale somewhat as crackers do when left opened on a counter for months.

After further experimenting with storage, what worked best for us was to immediately transfer -- as soon as a new 40 lb. bag was opened -- its contents to 10-11 sealed Ziplock freezer bags.

For several years, I stored half of these in my freezer, taking a next bag out the day before needed to let it warm up to room temperature.

The last several years I've found that the freezing is no longer necessary to keep Puff's appetite.

I strongly suspect that's because just as people lose taste sensitivity with age (reduced by half at age 60-65) that our dogs also suffer such losses. And Puff is very close to that age (in dog years).

Bob thanks for the tip !

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast