How much did you feed at 6 months?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How much did you feed at 6 months?

Taylor&Luna is offline Member

DefaultHow much did you feed at 6 months?

I am wondering if i am feeding too much.. my lab is 6 months old and i feed her 1 cup 3 x a day. She has had mushy poop since i got her when she was 3 months. I feed her Blue Buffalo and she would poop tons, now on earthborn she is pooping somewhat less. At first her poop comes out normal a little on the soft looking side, and then later in the day maybe 4 pm 5-ish she has mushy poop. She is acting normal, is current on vaccines, and is on an heart worm and flee preventative. At first i wasn't concerned because our pear trees were dropping tons of pears and she would eat some.. and i figured that, that was the problem. Now she keeps chewing or papaya plants... (we have fruit trees all over the yard.) Our beagle eats them too but her poop is always firm. I know all dogs are different though.

So far from what i have googled it could be that:

-I am overfeeding.
    -She ate rabbit poop and could have gotten a parasite. (This happened last week at the park, but she has always pooped like this)
    -Or the food she is on is too rich for her.

I will be taking her to the vet on monday. I just wanted to see if anyone had has a similar issue and could maybe give me some insight.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

smokey is offline Senior Member

I changed my puppy's food and the soft poops went away. I was feeding a much richer food and gradually switched over to pro plan, his poop has been consistently normal and consistently 2-3 poops a day since the full switch. What the breeder fed isn't available near me and so I tried Innova and his poop was always too soft. when I started to add in the pro plan it got continually better until normal and has remained normal.

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

At 6 months you don't need that mid day meal at all. The amount f food varies greatly by dog as Labs vary a lot in size and build. Does she look chunky?

If she's not overweight it's probably not the quantity of food or kcals, but one of the other possible causes.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I will try pro plan after she goes to the vet.. Other people have mentioned this too me as well. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrownDog View Post
    At 6 months you don't need that mid day meal at all. The amount f food varies greatly by dog as Labs vary a lot in size and build. Does she look chunky?

If she's not overweight it's probably not the quantity of food or kcals, but one of the other possible causes.
    My lab is really skinny! She was a stray. Her body is filling up but she is not at all fat. So are you saying i should try only two meals a day? Thanks you!

Diesel_Dawg is offline Senior Member

Agree about cutting out the middle meal. Earthborn is a very good quality food, but could be too rich for her. How long has she been on it? It can take a couple weeks for her body to fully adjust to new food.

If you already have a vet appointment for Monday, make sure you bring in a poop sample!

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Taylor&Luna View Post
    My lab is really skinny! She was a stray. Her body is filling up but she is not at all fat. So are you saying i should try only two meals a day? Thanks you!
    You could do 3 cups a day over 2 meals but if your goal is to get her to gain, I'd up that quantity. Don't know how big a Lab she is, but 2 cups per meal would not be excessive for a 6 month old growing puppy.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Quote Originally Posted by Diesel_Dawg View Post
    Agree about cutting out the middle meal. Earthborn is a very good quality food, but could be too rich for her. How long has she been on it? It can take a couple weeks for her body to fully adjust to new food.

If you already have a vet appointment for Monday, make sure you bring in a poop sample!
    She has been on it for 2 months now. I think she should be accustomed to it by now. Yes poop sample thanks for reminding me.

Diesel_Dawg is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Taylor&Luna View Post
    She has been on it for 2 months now. I think she should be accustomed to it by now. Yes poop sample thanks for reminding me.
    It's possible it is just too rich for her. It's funny how different our Labs are! My Diesel was on ProPlan and he never had a solid poop - ever & pooped about 6 times a day, frequently vomitted, coat was horrible, ear infections, eye infections. I switched him to grain free (Acana) and in less than 2 weeks he had solid poops, within a month his coat started to improve, no more vomiting and no more ear or eye infections -- it's been about 9 months now. But there are tons of dogs that are on ProPlan and do wonderfully. You have to do what works for your dog

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrownDog View Post
    You could do 3 cups a day over 2 meals but if your goal is to get her to gain, I'd up that quantity. Don't know how big a Lab she is, but 2 cups per meal would not be excessive for a 6 month old growing puppy.

Hmm good idea, but i wanna fix her poop issue first. It seems like her food might be the problem.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast