rescue remedy

Thread: rescue remedy

Defaultrescue remedy

Anyone try rescue remedy for their dogs? I'm thinking about trying on Hershey. It seems that when he gets stressed/anxious that is when most of his seizures occur. Maybe if we prevent some stress/anxiety we can reduce number of seizures?? BTW he is on phenobarbital but still has seizures about once a month, sometimes more
    Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Lucky6 is offline Senior Member

Does it say dogs can take this? Did you check with your vet? I use herbal supplements... well I use to when I was breastfeeding. I vaguely remember reading about that stuff. What kind of situations are stressing him out? What about putting him on antidepressants for anxiety? What about doggy massages? I know with herbal supplements you have to take an extrememly large dose for serious damage to occur but I would be cautious taking anything with the pheno. Just run it by your vet first.
    Katie adopted by koko

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

I agree with Katie. Find out about any potential interactions first before trying it out. I did use it successfully with my reactive Dutch Shepherd in her early years (she calmed considerably at 5 years old.) Its not a miracle cure and won't help a dog with a major anxiety issue - but takes the edge off.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Thank you both for the advice. I will definitely run it by the vet before giving any. I just wanted to do my own research first so I would be prepared. I always say be your own (or your dogs) health advocate!
    I am probably one of those overcautious dog owners when it comes to giving anything!!
    Hershey is not anxious all of the time. It's only when he is out of his routine-company that stays in the house, rides in the car. That's why I'd like to find something I could give him in the situation, not a daily med.
    Katie-rescue remedy apparently was first used in people but now there is a pet formula (dogs, cats, horses).

Lucky6 is offline Senior Member

Hershey is very lucky to have you! I am a nurse and I urge every patient to do as much research as possible. You can never be overcautious when it comes to our loved ones! I applaud you and sincerely hope you find something to calm Hershey down to prevent additional seizures.
    Katie adopted by koko

joeybearsmom is offline Junior Member

I sometimes put some rescue remedy on my Kipper's kong with some kibble in it. About 20 mins. later he is ready to calm down and go to sleep (he's up all night). I would, recommend getting the pet variety as it is prepared with no alchohol...the people version has 27% alchohol.

kassabella is offline Senior Member

I have used it, but I would check with your vet first. Different dogs etc.

I wonder if this would help too.
    I mind a highly strung 2 year old border collie. The slightest thing out of the ordinary and she is leaping 3 ft in the air, going way over the top. I find the best way to settle her to talk queitly to her and gently massage behind her ears or other favourite spot. It seems to settle her. Pain when I have to stop the car to do it after she sees another dog. I also get in before she gets to that can't stop stage.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/