EVO herring and salmon

Thread: EVO herring and salmon

Lucky6 is offline Senior Member

DefaultEVO herring and salmon

I'm in the process of switching koko's food over to the EVO h&s formula. I am trying to figure out if I still need to supplement with fish oil caps. I emailed them to ask and they said I did not need to, that their food contains all the nutrition a dog needs. I was like ok...but can you break it down for me so I can see a comparison of exactly how much omegas are in your formula. So she emailed back with this "Thank you for contacting Natura Pet Products with your concerns regarding our foods. There are 8.37g/Mcal (1000 calories) of Omega 3 and 4.94g/Mcal of Omega 6 in our Evo Herring and Salmon Dry dog food." I am still confused on whether or not this compares to adding the fish oil caps, right now I give her two 1,000 mg caps, one in the morning and one at night. Does someone have a better understanding of this stuff???
    Katie adopted by koko

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

MNLab is offline Senior Member

Katie,
    Daisy has been eating Orijen 6 Fish for quite a while, but it's becoming hard to find as lately it has been out of stock at most places that I order from. I can get EVO at the feed store in town and I picked up my first bag of the Herring and Salmon formula last week, I'm switching over now.

When Daisy was on the Orijen I still did fish oil, although I just do one 1000mg capsule in the morning. I'll continue doing this with the EVO. I've read a bit about it, talked to people feeding the same thing I am, and most keep doing fish oil while the dog is on a fish-based kibble.

As I understand it, Omega 3's and I think 6's, are very heat sensative, so a lot of the 3's don't actually make it to the final product (and possibly 6's as well). I have also read and heard that the dog's body can store Omega 3 (maybe people can too?) and can use it when needed, i.e. injury, etc.

This is just some stuff I read/talked to people about, I have not done any serious research, but just thought I'd share with you!

I am thinking of switching from the fish oil to salmon oil, as well, as I've heard of people having better results in terms of coat quality on their dogs with the salmon oil.
    Chantel and...

Daisy, Hayshaker She's Utterly Unforgettable, CGC
    Lola, our mellow yellow gal. Gotcha on 1-7-07

Lucky6 is offline Senior Member

Great! Thanks for the info. Glad to see someone else trying this food out. We will have to keep each other posted of any positives or negatives. I'm just about out of the fish oil caps so I might try the salmon ones as well. BTW, I use to live in MN, I loved it! I lived in St. Cloud. How slow are you switching over? You probably don't have to go as slow as me since your dogs were already on a fish formula. Luckily, Koko was on Innova so hopefully the switch won't be toooo rich for her.
    Katie adopted by koko

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

MNLab is offline Senior Member

I live about 2 hours southish (I'm bad at my directions, haha) of St. Cloud. Great shopping there!

Daisy gets 2 cups a day of Orijen, so I'm doing a half cup of the Orijen and a half cup of the EVO each feeding. I'll do this until I use up the rest of the Orijen I have, as it was expensive!

Lola has been eating Nurti-Source Adult (chicken and rice) and she kind of has a sensative tummy. I've been debating about switching her to EVO but she needs more weight and I want her coat to look better. So, I'm going to start her tonight. She eats about 3 cups a day and I think I'll start her on like 1/4 cup of EVO each feeding (and subtract a 1/4 cup of the NS). I'll do that for about 4 days, then move up to, I don't know, a half of a cup I suppose per feeding of EVO, and just keep going up from there.

I will let you know how I like the EVO after they've been on it a few weeks. Daisy has been fine so far.
    Chantel and...

Daisy, Hayshaker She's Utterly Unforgettable, CGC
    Lola, our mellow yellow gal. Gotcha on 1-7-07