Has anyone tried Royal Canin Labrador Retriever 33 Puppy Dry Dog Food

Thread: Has anyone tried Royal Canin Labrador Retriever 33 Puppy Dry Dog Food

LovingLabs is offline Member

DefaultHas anyone tried Royal Canin Labrador Retriever 33 Puppy Dry Dog Food

Just out of curiousity has anyone tried this food? Is it any good? it is getting good ratings ... opinions?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

labby is offline Senior Member

I know some breeders which are recommending it to their puppy people. I'm not convinced that breed specific diets are a necessity. I know many breeders which are just recommending the RC Maxi puppy instead of the Labrador puppy food.

Laura

Mirariel is offline Junior Member

Hello there

I have just taken it upon myself to check out Royal Canine in general. I have to tell you, sadly, that they are relatively poor dog foods. Yes, there are worse ones, so it is more middle of the road in a market that is dominated by products like this and worse. Essentially clever packaging, marketing and labeling hides the facts.

Let me try to explain just with one or two tidbits:

This is the start of the ingredients list: Chicken meal, brown rice, rice, corn gluten meal, wheat gluten meal, chicken fat,

As a rule of thumb one can say that the main components of a food are those listed before the first source of fat. In this case, then, you see that what you feed your dog is mostly rice, wheat, and corn - in other words, 3 cereals. Cereals are not a natural part of ANY canine's diet, which is why some good dog foods completely do without them. Many dogs develop allergies and other illnesses from them.

Also, notice a little trick they did: they say brown rice and rice into two mentions - in other words, the component that this food contains the most of, is rice, not chicken meal.

There is so much more to say on this issue, and if you are interested to inform yourself on dry foods, I can recommend, as a good starter, The Dog Food Project (The Dog Food Project - How does your Dog Food Brand compare?) for info.

A good line of halfway affordable dogfoods (not the best, but balancing economic pressures and acceptable food quality) are usually Solid Gold and Innova products.

If you have any further questions, do not hesitate to ask.