Almost 8 week old with kennel cough and no good vet.. Please help!!

Thread: Almost 8 week old with kennel cough and no good vet.. Please help!!

Kfrancis is offline Junior Member

DefaultAlmost 8 week old with kennel cough and no good vet.. Please help!!

Gibson is starting to show the classic signs of kennel cough: hacking, sneezing, non productive cough, runny nose. I cant tell if he is lethargic though or just puupy tired. I just picked him up from the breeder two days ago in Anchorage and then we traveled home via plan the next day. We also stayed in a semi clean dog friendly hotel the night before the flight.. Makes me wonder if he caught it there. My concerns are that he is so young and the vet on the island has a horrible reputation for not caring and not treating pets conditions fully and charging crazy amounts for his "service". Should I attempt to take matters into my own hands first. I saw on a few websites that chicken soup works wonders and garlic, but I don't know what the amoun/dosage of each would be for his small size. Should I give these a shot tomorrow and does anyone have any recommendations as to the amount I should give Gibson?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

labby is offline Senior Member

NO SHOTS!!! You do not vaccinate a sick dog.

I had a litter with kennel cough at 3 weeks, so his age should not factor into it.

I would check him daily for a temp, a sign that things are getting worse. For the most part, rest him, feed him his regular good (none of the chicken soup and garlic crap) and let it work itself out. If it worsens or he shows signs of pneumonia, then you have no choice but to take him into the vet. A vet would prescribe him antibiotics now, but that won't stop the course of the disease, just keep him from getting secondary pneumonia.

Laura

bett is offline Senior Member

You will, at some time soon, need to find a vet so why not start now.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by bett View Post
    You will, at some time soon, need to find a vet so why not start now.

I would suspect that on an island in Alaska you have to fly to - there is not a lot of choice for a vet.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

LuvBrown is offline Senior Member

KC is a viral infection, so antibiotics don't help it. As Labby suggested, keep an eye on temperature as if it goes up, then a secondary bacterial infection has set in and then you do need antibiotics. For adults, I typically give some buffered vitamin C to boost the immune system.

I think the only place chicken soup would have here is that it would help to keep the dog hydrated so that it can fight this naturally. Some unsalted chicken broth wouldn't hurt, but it's not necessary.

bett is offline Senior Member

well, if that's the case, i guess you have to get used to who you have.

Canula2000 is offline Senior Member

watch for signs of pneumonia: loss of appetite, lethargic, green discharge from nose, crackling sound when he breaths, or shortness of breath. KC in pups can turn into pneumonia....so if you see any of the signs take him to the vet for meds.

For now make sure he is drinking enough fluids and let him rest as he needs.

"Every boy should have two things: a dog, and a mother willing to let him have one"
    - Anonymous

dek
    dek is offline Senior Member

Mine had a similar viral illness (though he was much older). I found a humidifier to be helpful for the coughing, but it was a miserable few days.

BauersMom is offline Senior Member

I agree with the others . . . keep a close eye on him. If his temp rises, get him to the vet. Your best chances for keeping him away from the vet is to keep him hydrated. Prayers and good thoughts for Gibson.
    Debi and Bauer
    Some people are like slinkies. Not really good for much, but bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs.