Tummy issues AGAIN!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tummy issues AGAIN!

zonapups is offline Senior Member

AngryTummy issues AGAIN!

When we first got our pups we had some tummy issues which ended up being Giardia. We kept them on Iams which is what the breeder provided as we didn't want to change their food during or immediately after treatment. When their stool didn't get better the vet told us to switch them to another food which we did. 8 days later we successfully switched to Blue Wilderness puppy and both of their poop got much much better!

Fast forward 3 weeks later we noticed our puppies getting really gassy for a few days. The "clear the room" type of gas and only in the evenings. That evening my little girl had a bout of diarrhea. Next morning she was fine but later that evening they BOTH had it! UGH! All the stores near us were out of pumpkin so we gave them half kibble half rice till we could call the vet the next morning. Both were retested for parasites and worms = negative! Vet said it probably was an infection, keep them on a mix of kibble and rice for a few more days till it clears then back on 100% kibble and she would see us in another week for their next check up. Sure enough it cleared right up till we moved them back to 100% kibble and my little girl has the runs in the evenings AGAIN! I'm suspecting it's the food now. She is fine in the morning but by the evening its very very soft or runny. He has been fine so far but I'm sure he is next to have it.

We currently offer them 3 cups a day (fed over 3 meals). They usually only eat about 2.5 cups but recently been chowing down all 3 and begging for more. We are moving them back to rice/kibble mix till this bout of the runs clears and I finally found some canned pumpkin just in case. I'm thinking we have a case of over-feeding. I told my hubby that we are moving them to 2.5 cups a day (fed over 3 meals). He agreed. They were on 3 cups for the Iams and we kept them at the same with the Blue. It is richer with no fillers (unlike the Iams) so I'm hoping if we reduce what we offer them, it probably will clear up on its own.

What do you think? I don't want to send them down the food roller coaster just yet. But if I have to I will. I just want to exercise all our options first before we start switching.

Leo and Zoey - born 4/21/12. The loves of my life (other than the hubby)

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Diesel_Dawg is offline Senior Member

I think you are going about it the right way, not jumping the gun. Reducing the amount seems like the best idea, I have never feed Blue Buffalo, but I think it is a better quality food than Iam's so likely richer & causing diarrhea. Reduce the amount, wait a good week or so for bellies to adjust - try not to add pumpkin during this time, yes it will help the diarrhea, but will mask if any change is happening. They may have diarrhea for a few more days, but at least it isn't vomitting!

I think Blue has had a recall in the past, voluntary if I am not mistaken for an abundance of Vit D, but they seem ok right now, just something to consider.

ETA sorry, you said Blue Wilderness, not Buffalo, not sure if the same company or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Diesel_Dawg View Post
    I think you are going about it the right way, not jumping the gun. Reducing the amount seems like the best idea, I have never feed Blue Buffalo, but I think it is a better quality food than Iam's so likely richer & causing diarrhea. Reduce the amount, wait a good week or so for bellies to adjust - try not to add pumpkin during this time, yes it will help the diarrhea, but will mask if any change is happening. They may have diarrhea for a few more days, but at least it isn't vomitting!

I think Blue has had a recall in the past, voluntary if I am not mistaken for an abundance of Vit D, but they seem ok right now, just something to consider.

ETA sorry, you said Blue Wilderness, not Buffalo, not sure if the same company or not.
    Thanks. I will avoid any pumpkin for awhile. Blue Wilderness is Blue Buffalo Wilderness variety. Everyone seems to call it just "Blue." I think there is something with a name change. IDK. It is the Wilderness version we are feeding them which is supposed to be grain free. Some people says its close to the BARF diet. I have no clue what kind of diet that is, I just want to give them the best we can afford and Blue came highly recommended by many.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Others might disagree with what I suggest, just to emphasize the avoidance of the pumpkin is temporary. Diarrhea sucks, but isn't the end of the world. You are trying to figure out the reason so by reducing the amount of kibble & not masking it with pumpkin to ease the diarrhea you will be able to tell if the reduction in kibble is all that was required.

Thanks! I originally didn't think about not using the pumpkin as it could mask the problem. When I read your comment I realized that and figured I would avoid it for awhile till I know for sure that over-feeding is the problem and it isn't something else.

LuvBrown is offline Senior Member

Go in for another fecal, testing for giardia again. Once a dog has it, it really never goes away. Times of stress and change, and just because, it often can flare up again.

If they have eaten the food with normal stools, it's most likely not the food. I wouldn't add or change anything at this time.

Quote Originally Posted by LuvBrown View Post
    Go in for another fecal, testing for giardia again. Once a dog has it, it really never goes away. Times of stress and change, and just because, it often can flare up again.

If they have eaten the food with normal stools, it's most likely not the food. I wouldn't add or change anything at this time.
    We did have them retested as that is what our first thought was. Came back negative. They go back in on Monday so if it isn't better by then we will have to talk to the vet about it. Other than the gas (which is getting better) and the random bouts of the runs, they haven't shown any other symptoms associated with Giardia and any other parasite/worm infection. They have been licking their bowl empty recently and asking for more which is unusual as they usually don't eat all of their lunch which is why I suspected the food.

Quote Originally Posted by zonapups View Post
    They have been licking their bowl empty recently and asking for more which is unusual as they usually don't eat all of their lunch which is why I suspected the food.
    But you don't give them more, do you? I think Labs would eat to the point of vomitting if we let them!

Quote Originally Posted by Diesel_Dawg View Post
    But you don't give them more, do you? I think Labs would eat to the point of vomitting if we let them!
    We used to offer an extra 1/2 cup per the vets advice as some days they would eat only 2 cups and the next day gobble down 3.5 cups. Averaged out 2.5 for awhile. I always put down 1 cup per meal 3x per day. On a rare occasion my boy got 3.5 cups but this was always after a day of not eating much. They have been pretty good on finishing their bowls after each meal in the last 2 weeks.

The vet's advice is probably outdated now that they are eating better however I'll have to ask the hubby if he was offering more to them as I wasn't giving them dinner due to late nights at work (he was). He knows now that we are reducing their food intake and I'm feeding them in the mornings and evenings again so I should hopefully have a better idea over the next week or so if over-feeding by accident was the cause or something else. I would be so angry at myself if 1/2 cup of food was causing all these issues.

1/2 cup of a higher k/cal per cup kibble than they were on before could be the issue, but inconsistency in their diet could also be a culprit. Dogs will eat if they are hungry, there is no need to give extra the next day if they didn't eat it all the day before. It would be like you doubling up on an antibiotic because you missed a dose, lol. Be consistent in what they get daily, make sure hubby is on board. Did they go to the vet today? Or is it next Monday?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast