how to identify ringworms on my lab

Thread: how to identify ringworms on my lab

yarberry is offline Junior Member

Questionhow to identify ringworms on my lab

My female lab, Jennie, has two sores, one on each hip that resemble the online pictures of ringworms. However, the pics show a border and hers don't seem to have borders. Does anyone know how to positively identify a ringworm? She gets car-sick so a visit to the vet is a major event for this 57 lb. dog. Also would like to know what to treat it with. Lotrimin??

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Malikai's mom is offline Junior Member

Ringworm is not really a worm, it's a fungus. Could, you take a picture by chance?

yarberry is offline Junior Member

I will try to take a picture after she's eaten. She gets upset when I look at the sores so I want her to eat first. Thanks for your help here.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

labby is offline Senior Member

Since ringworm is also contagious to humans you MUST take Jennie to the vet. Sorry. Feed her a couple of ginger snap cookies (human) before you go. Ginger is good for motion sickness.

Laura

Mirariel is offline Junior Member

One positively identifies ringwork via microscope and/or culture, but really usually it is easy to just see what it is. Most of the time this does all not require a vet visit (nor a visit of a physician for humans, if one knows what is wrong so please do not listen to any alarmist voices), as many cases respond well to over the counter antifungals. You should see an improvement after about 2 weeks, but should keep going for another 2 at least. If you see no improvement after 2 or 3 weeks, do visit a vet (sometimes ringworm does need heavier meds). Try not to touch it, and if you do for treatment, try wearing gloves or wash and disinfect your hands after.

MidwestGirl is offline Senior Member

My Lab got ringworm on her nose from a stray cat, then in turn so did we..Ugh it was awful.

Taylor&Luna is offline Member

If its a ringworm take her to the vet you don't want to expose yourself to that. I caught ringworms when i went on a trip and it took me years to get fully rid of them.