Trick for brushing teeth

Thread: Trick for brushing teeth

Diesel_Dawg is offline Senior Member

DefaultTrick for brushing teeth

Diesel won`t always let me brush with his (meant for dogs) toothbrush. He once snapped one in half when I tried to get the back teeth. So when he is being super resistant, I just wrap my index finger in a gauze pad & rub his teeth down. I get every single one this way -- even those tiny front teefies he never lets me get with the brush -- and because the gauze material isn`t smooth it is like a brush. The vet says it is no different really than the bristles of a brush so no harm done. Just have to watch for the jaw clamping, lol, but I really seem to cover more surface area this way & can also massage the gums better.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

smokey is offline Senior Member

I got one of those rubber brushes that slips right onto your finger, you can find them in the baby section of the toothpaste aisle at most big stores, after I got a sample one from the vet for my one dog I bought one for my other dog, they are wonderful! I knew they were in the baby section because that is how I started brushing my son's teeth. Fits right over your finger like a cap.

Tanya is offline Senior Member

what kind of gauze? I heard of this but haven't tried it. I have to clean the poop eater's mouth fairly often (the vet laughed at me and said it's a good thing as it gets me to brush his teeth) and Cedar's as well (he is already getting plaque and is only 2 which concerns me so I am trying to get ahead of things by brushing brushing brushing)
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Diesel_Dawg is offline Senior Member

Tanya, I just buy it in the first aid section of the drug store. I just get the no name brand, the box says Sterile Pad 2" x 2" 12 ply. I unfold it once then wrap it around my index finger covering the entire finger.

I tried those little rubber finger brushes & it doesn't work for us, he wiggles around too much but I also feel those little rubber bristles don't do very much at all. The gauze pad is so large that I can cover my entire finger, not just the tip so I cover a lot more surface area, plus though I am focused on the tooth/gum, since my whole finger is covered it also gives the inside of his cheeks a good wipe down! Great for Peanut Butter mouth!!

smokey is offline Senior Member

I may try this later if Smokey starts to fight it, right now he thinks I'm playing and he likes it. Aside from the occasional needle teeth clamp we do pretty good.