Peeing in sleep. Help!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Peeing in sleep. Help!

Unclelab1 is offline Member

DefaultPeeing in sleep. Help!

My 2yo female rescue Annie has been peeing in her sleep. Happened 5-6 times in the past 4 weeks now. I've had her just about 3 months and this just started happening. She's spayed and on heart worm medication. It only seems to happen at night and when she is awake all is fine. No accidents at all. She does drink lots of water.

I did take her to the vet yesterday and no UTI but vet said it may be "hormonal incontinence" and gave me some pills for her to take twice a day.

Is anyone dealing with this now with their labber? Can it be controlled? How do you work with it or what meds are best? I'm kind of upset as I want to help her and we are just now developing a nice bond. I've never herd of this please advise and thx.

Annie Roses 8/11/10 Rescued 4/21/12 (was living in a barn)
    Rubin Hunter 7/12/12 Gotcha 8/1/12

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

How long ago was she spayed? It could be spay incontinence. Here's a link: Spay Incontinence in Dogs - VetInfo
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

goombagirl is offline Junior Member

My last dog, who was a collie mix, had the same issues and we also thought it was spay incontinence. It began suddenly when she was about 3 years old, 2 years after she had been spayed. My vet prescribed medication for her which never worked. I think for her, it was stress related. We had moved into a new place and a year later, when we moved out, it stopped.

"Never never be afraid to do what is right, especially if the well-being of a person or animal is at stake. Society's punishments are small compared to the wounds we inflict on our soul when we look the other way." ~Martin Luther King Jr.

Vegan = Someone who is nutty enough to think hurting animals is a bad thing

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

georgie is offline Senior Member

Our youngest lab has mild spay incontinence. This is our first female who has it so it is new to us also. It does not happen all the time. She will go months without any leakage. We talked to our vet about it and we could put her on hormones if it gets worse or another medication called Proin. But since it is not all the time we have decided to try a natural supplement to see if it helps. Our vet said it would not hurt her and may help. If she did this every day I probably would put her on medication but for now, we are going to try a supplement.

Good luck with your girl.

labby is offline Senior Member

your vet is right on in the diagnosis. your dog may or may not need to be on the meds for the rest of her life.

Laura

Sophie, its been about 14-16 weeks I'm guessing since she was Spayed. I have not read the link yet but will as soon as I can.

Goom, I hope it is stress related because I saw a small pattern when we had a storm it happened, (but only about 30% of the time) and when I first got her she was really stressed over thunder storms, but she is better now. Yes my vet did give me Proin. But are the natural suppliments working for you? As I said I'v only see this happen about once a week for the past 4 weeks. What supplaments are you using and are they working?

Labby, Thanks for the reassurance. But how do I know if she will have to take meds forever or just for a bit? or is it a "time will tell" type thing?

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

I had this problem with Emma after spaying her and did use the medicine for about 6 mos. Out of couriosity I stopped the meds and found it to be much less frequent and still is to this day, almost 5 years later. We no longer use the meds, just launder her blankets when necessary. If she is having an issue with storms I highly recommend the Thunder Shirt. This has made a huge improvement in Emma's response to storms, she is no longer a pacing, whining, drooling mess duing storms, the change is nothing short of amazing! Good luck!
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

HK has spay incontinence. She gets a DES capsule twice a week. I have tried stopping it twice, the urination in her sleep returned both times. She is 5.5 yo.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

labby is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Unclelab1 View Post

Labby, Thanks for the reassurance. But how do I know if she will have to take meds forever or just for a bit? or is it a "time will tell" type thing?
    Yep. Follow your vet's recommendations. I've had some which could stop the meds and never have another problem, but I've had some who started dribbling again once we stopped. You won't know until after you do treatment. You should keep her on the meds for at least a month before even considering stopping.

Laura

Labby. Yes the vet gave me a 30 day supply so I'll just keep on that for now. She has done it about once a week, at night in her sleep, for the past 4-5 weeks so it will be easy to tell if it is working.

Hershey what is a DES Capsule? I may try to switch to a natural suppliment if needed, is that what that is?

Tammy, Well I have a thunder shirt sitting on the dinning room table still in it's PKG. When I first brought her home she was terrifed of storms and did what you described. She is much better now and even will go outside if raining. When a storm is brewing I put music on the radio or I start playing guitar. We'll start to play "fetch" in the house and i start giving her treats...When I leave her in the home office when gone, I keep the radio on.

I guess everyone one knows she was always kept in a barn and then a sign was posed in front "free labs" She had a sister too. Someone saw it and called Dayton OH lab rescue and that is who I got her from. All in all she is doing very well

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast