Allergies? Bites? Skin Sensitivity?

Thread: Allergies? Bites? Skin Sensitivity?

goombagirl is offline Junior Member

DefaultAllergies? Bites? Skin Sensitivity?

My 8 month old boy has developed some white spots, not very raised but not exactly flush with his skin, on his lower abdomen, in the area where there is no fur AND on his penis. They didn't seem to bother him at all but then on Tuesday he developed hives on his muzzle. I took him to the vet immediately and they thought maybe he swallowed a bee or yellowjacket. They gave him a shot of steroids and a shot of antihistamine and sent me home with Chlorpheniramine as a 2 week maintenence treatment but also with instruction to give him Benadryl instead if he didn't clear up within 24 hours. The bumps and swelling on his muzzle cleared up MOSTLY and he seemed fine yesterday. Then today we woke up and he has hives around his eye area and now the white spots on his abdomen seem to be itching him. I called the vet and they told me to stop the Chlorpheniramine and switch to the Benadryl, which I have. She said it could be environmental allergies. I have not changed a thing with his food, his treats, household or laundry products, NOTHING. He is on Revolutuions so I know it isn't fleas, mosquitos or mites. He spends most of his time inside with us. I keep a clean house and his bedding is washed weekly. We have a patio and grass in our yard. I haven't noticed any unusual bugs and I'm in CA anyway where there aren't many to begin with. I have never had a dog get hives or have sudden unexplained rashes. And again, these are white spots, not red. They do not smell, are not open or oozing and don't seem to be swollen. And then the bumps on his face are also white, not open and don't smell bad. Has anyone had any similar experience??

"Never never be afraid to do what is right, especially if the well-being of a person or animal is at stake. Society's punishments are small compared to the wounds we inflict on our soul when we look the other way." ~Martin Luther King Jr.

Vegan = Someone who is nutty enough to think hurting animals is a bad thing

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

That sounds scary. I have never experienced anything similar but I sure hope you get to the bottom of it quickly.
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

kassabella is offline Senior Member

Kassa used to get something similar from wet grass or if her chin was wet. After she ate or drank I wiped her mouth with a paper towel which helped. Was odd as we couldn't work out how a wet chin could affect her belly.

Hope you get to the bottom of it.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

goombagirl is offline Junior Member

well i ended up taking him back to the vet again last night. she looked him over really really good and she thinks the white spots are just skin pigmentation. and the hives and general itchiness he seemed to have yesterday might be because of an allergic reaction he was having to the antihistamine they gave me for the bee sting. on my own gut instinct i just stopped giving him the meds and today his face has cleared up and he isn't licking or biting at himself. poor kid. allergic to antihistamines.... lol. it's rare and rather ironic, but my vet said it IS possible. and i always say my boy in unique! i'll keep an eye out for changes with these white spots, but for now, i think he's just fine. thanks for your responses!

"Never never be afraid to do what is right, especially if the well-being of a person or animal is at stake. Society's punishments are small compared to the wounds we inflict on our soul when we look the other way." ~Martin Luther King Jr.

Vegan = Someone who is nutty enough to think hurting animals is a bad thing