7 month old puppy gets the runs a lot, help?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 7 month old puppy gets the runs a lot, help?

jamiejo is offline Junior Member

Default7 month old puppy gets the runs a lot, help?

Hello! This is my first post here :-)
    We have a 7mo lab puppy we adopted from a shelter at 8 weeks. He's HUGE now! They said he was a mix, but looks 100% purebred.
    We have been feeding Blue Buffalo Wilderness puppy since we brought him home. He gets the runs anytime he eats a scrap of our food that the kids drop (which we try to always clean up, but with a 2yo it happens) he gets the runs. Even when he has not had any scraps of any kind his poo is not consistently solid. I think this may be due partly to teething, we have a fairly rugged yard and he chews on sticks and tree limbs in addition to his chew toys. Should I try bones? Are cow hooves alright? He loves the hooves. I've been afraid to give him a bone, thinking it may upset him, but it could fare better than sticks.

Should I try different food? We were window shopping at Costco and looking at the ALS grain free, which if it's a good food I'd like to try as it would save us a bundle. He is currently almost 70lbs and still growing. I give him a good quality probiotic once a day. Very rarely do treats, and they are Blue wilderness as well.

He is very active and happy, with a gorgeous shiny coat. He is fit and healthy aside from the sensitive tummy.

I've never had a lab before, and my last dog was a country mutt that lived outside and hunted for rabbits and birds and ate mesquite beans in addition to his food. So this is all new territory for me.

Thanks for help in advance!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tanya is offline Senior Member

are you possibly feeding too much? too much food can cause loose poop.

have you had a fecal sample done by the vet to ensure he does not have a parasite or worm or giardia?

i'd cut out the human food before going on the food roller coaster.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

I could try decreasing, or going back to smaller feeds more often. We feed twice a day right now. I have not had him tested. The ONLY time he gets human food is when he finds something I did not know was there, or the kids let him in before I can clean under the table. So It does not happen often and never intentionally.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I would start with ensuring he does not have worms or anything with the vet and slightly decrease his food (even if it is just one quarter less to start).

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

When you say he chews on sticks and things from your yard, is he ingesting any of these items from your yard I would definitely make sure you put a stop to this before you end up with an obstruction or something else life threatening
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

Belles mom is offline Senior Member

I tried weaning my pups to Blue Buffalo and they got the runs consistently. The food may just be too rich for them. How much per feeding/day are you giving him?

Karen and the gang
    BBI Kodi's Journey To Anotch (Journey)
    BBI Kodi's Blackpowder Striker (Flint)

Quote Originally Posted by Belles mom View Post
    I tried weaning my pups to Blue Buffalo and they got the runs consistently. The food may just be too rich for them. How much per feeding/day are you giving him?
    He gets 2 cups twice a day. I actually did not realize it was quite this much, as its a jar not a measuring cup. But 4 cups is in line with the guide on the bag for his breed and age.

Quote Originally Posted by tammyhuffman View Post
    When you say he chews on sticks and things from your yard, is he ingesting any of these items from your yard I would definitely make sure you put a stop to this before you end up with an obstruction or something else life threatening
    I have found bark and things in his stool. Usually when it's a healthy looking stool which confuses me. How do I make him stop? He gnaws branches off of the trees if they are small enough to reach. He has toys, soft, hard etc that he also chews on. This is why I was asking about bones. We live in the desert, there is no grass. The trees are dry and small (it's a rent house, we can't cut them down) and he just walks up and gnaws a branch off to chew on it. Some more maintenance will reduce what he can reach, but there is no way to ensure 100% that he has no sticks etc to chew on. It's just the way the yard is. If there isn't a tree he can get to, he chews on the wooden whiskey barrels etc... Will more play reduce the chewing? Maturity? He did quite well for about a month, I did not notice any loose stool, and then he started chewing and teething again and had loose stool for a week.

Quote Originally Posted by Tanya View Post
    I would start with ensuring he does not have worms or anything with the vet and slightly decrease his food (even if it is just one quarter less to start).
    I will have him checked for worms next week. I need to have him weighed for the correct dose of heart guard. The only way I can weigh him now is weigh with him, and without him on my dinky scale. Not very accurate. I will also decrease the food some. We were feeding less, and he was so hungry at feedings (3x a day then) he would not chew his food. Now he chews and swallows at least.

labs are known to always eat their food like they haven't eaten in weeks, it's part of their nature. it doesn't mean they are not eating enough or are truly starving

four cups is a lot of food. the directions on the bag are often too much for the average dog. It also depends on the dog's system and how much exercise they get. I think you can try 3.5 cups pretty easily. Go by weight, if you can feel the ribs he is at a good weight. if you have to work to feel them he needs to lose weight.

Regarding stopping him fro eating twigs and bark - supervise him, don't let him outside in the yard alone. that way you can see if he gets something and redirect (and work on drop it).

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

If you are starting him on heartgard now and not just continuing/upping the dosage you need to have a bloodtest to make sure he is HW negative.

And I second what Tanya says about the info on the bag about serving size. The food company benefits from you feeding the dog too much. I have never followed their serving advice - as a matter of fact, I have no idea what it says on the food I serve my dogs.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

labby is offline Senior Member

I was NEVER able to get normal stools when I tried Blue Buffalo.

Laura

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast