Do a natural kibble for your new puppy and all natural treats, PLEASE
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do a natural kibble for your new puppy and all natural treats, PLEASE

mrogers is offline Senior Member

Defaultnatural kibble/treats for your dog

In memory of Max who died at age 9 of rare stomach cancer, I am writing this to encourage everyone not to make the same mistake I made. Since the dry food I bought was the most expensive in the grocery store I thought it was high quality. I also assumed that the treats I gave him every night would be fine because I figured a pet food company cared about my pet. After we lost him at just age 9 I started researching what was in pet foods and treats.

This is what I found out. Most commercial dog foods you find at the grocery store are full of fillers instead of good stuff. I found out what by-products are, rendered fat and animal digest. I found out his treats contained BHA, a known cancer causing preservative, as well as the same chemical found in car anti-freeze. I never knew there were natural alternatives and my vet never discussed what was in dog food with me. My dog loved to eat, just like all Labs and he ate up whatever I gave him, good for him or not.

Had I been aware of what the ingredients actually were I would not have given him so many chemicals. So I want to tell everyone who has a new Lab puppy or even an older Lab, please read up on the ingredients in the products you give your dog.

Max's Mom
    Last edited by mrogers; 07-26-2012 at 10:24 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

mistarkos is offline Senior Member

I'm sorry for your loss and thank you for sharing this information with us. Is BHA the only preservatives we have too look for or there are bad preservatives we need to look for?

Does anyone know of a good brand with all natural treats?

If dogs do not go to heaven, then I prefer to follow them where they go.

Tanya is offline Senior Member

sorry for your loss

just be careful - putting the word "natural" in the name of the product or on the packaging does not make it healthy nor natural. look further than that. If you want natural treats look at products you make yourself or local products like dehydrated liver (made locally). And just because a dog food says "natural" doesn't mean it is the best food either.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

LuvBrown is offline Senior Member

Nutro is just as bad

I found on the below site that Purina has various toxic or chemicals in most of their products. There is a list with the products but who knows where else they put them without labeling it.

I'm very worry now because I feed Cassie with Purina Pro Plan.

Killing Me Softly: The Truth Behind Pet Treat Labels | Pasados

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by LuvBrown View Post
    Nutro is just as bad
    Nutro has been recalled quite a bit. I stopped feeding Nutro several years ago.
    Last edited by BigBrownDog; 07-25-2012 at 07:37 PM.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Quote Originally Posted by mrogers View Post
    I switched our other dog (and cat) to Nutro Natural food which is supposed to be pretty good. They also sell treats. This is available at a pet food store or at Amazon.com. I know there are some other foods that might be even better like Blue Buffalo. There are also organic foods but these can contain just as many fillers, just all organic fillers. It can get really confusing so you could talk to your vet or research on line.
    I found lots of natural treats available that our picky mixed breed dog has been really enjoying.
    As far as chemicals go, there are a few to watch out for. If you do a search for "chemicals in dog treats" or "can dog food hurt my dog?" you should get some good articles that explain about nitrite preservatives and the chemical found in anti freeze used in some treats. Then you can make a good decision about everything.
    Good luck!
    You really need to be specific in your critique here if you want to influence people positively. All the above accomplishes is putting a little fear into the uninformed. And - recommending people talk to their vets about food is not good advice. Vets in general are not well schooled in nutrition and many will push the foods they stock, sell and make a profit on.

If it was up to my vet (who is a very good vet) my diabetic dog would be on the very expensive prescription food he sells.

Quote Originally Posted by mistarkos View Post
    I found on the below site that Purina has various toxic or chemicals in most of their products. There is a list with the products but who knows where else they put them without labeling it.

I'm very worry now because I feed Cassie with Purina Pro Plan.

Killing Me Softly: The Truth Behind Pet Treat Labels | Pasados
    Listen, any idiot with an opinion can put stuff up online. That does not make it scientific or true. If you don't believe the word of breeders on this board who use PP (who have a tremendous amount invested in their dogs and programs) and you jump from food to food based on unsubstantiated info on the Internet then feel free.

I'm thinking of changing Pro Plan to some other brand. It would make me feel better after all those Purina products that are filled with toxic or chemicals.

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrownDog View Post
    Listen, any idiot with an opinion can put stuff up online. That does not make it scientific or true. If you don't believe the word of breeders on this board who use PP (who have a tremendous amount invested in their dogs and programs) and you jump from food to food based on unsubstantiated info on the Internet then feel free.
    You are right, but reading too many information really confuses you and you don't know who's telling the truth and who doesn't.

All I want is the best for my dog. I will check all the Pro Plan ingredients tomorrow and see what's in there.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast