What are common genetic traits of an English bred lab
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What are common genetic traits of an English bred lab

Mekeymoke is offline Junior Member

QuestionWhat are common genetic traits of an English bred lab

I have a 9 month old black lab pup who is half English half American. So far his looks are favoring his English father. Anyone know if excessive salvia and droopy lower eyelids are common traits in English bred labs? Just curious. Also, when is a lab full grown? Dad was 85 lbs. mom was 75 lbs. my pup was 52 lbs. at 7 months.
    Last edited by Mekeymoke; 07-19-2012 at 10:42 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Luvmydog2much is offline Senior Member

So his mom was born America and his dad was born in England? Cool!

Droopy eye lids can be an eye disorder (ectropian) and so eyes should be cleared on parents before they are bred so as to not pass this trait to the offspring. Dogs in England and dogs in America both have this problem, and that's why there are CERF and ACVO checks.

As for the drooling, all dogs drool, some more profusely.

A Lab is full grown when it stops growing. For a Labrador, most have their end height by about a year old, and then they fill in. I'd guess your Lab will be about the same size as his dad.
    'Don't grow up too quickly, lest you forget how much you love the beach.'
    ~ Michelle Held

Rhys, Ruby and Nola

LuvBrown is offline Senior Member

Don't over think it. A lab is a lab is a lab. English/American aren't even good terms. There are show labs that are bred to standard and there are field labs that are bred for performance in the field. Other than the short/stocky vs. tall/lean, both can have all the same characteristics...outward ones, personality ones, etc.

I have several labs from show pedigrees and some from hunting. Only 1 has droopy eyes. All but one drool.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

labby is offline Senior Member

Laura

Samson is offline Senior Member

Greed and ball obsession in an English Lab ! Ball obsession and Greed in an American Lab !

I think that drooling is as common in both depending on the food available of course !

mrogers is offline Senior Member

Our purebred English Lab did not have drooling or droopy eyelids. His traits were large, beautiful head and large feet. He was 90 pounds at his heaviest, 85 at his lightest. Also had a very soft coat, and longer coat than some Labs.
    Last edited by mrogers; 07-21-2012 at 09:25 AM.

rayluckgoo is offline Senior Member

We have 3 "English Type" labs. One had droopy eyelids as a puppy but he outgrew them. The same dog has more saliva than the other two...just individual differences. Ben is 90 lbs, Jackson is 78-80lbs and Gabe is 10 months and is in the 75lb. range.

bett is offline Senior Member

i guess by now, reading the responses , you have figured out that most labs are very similar in nature. perhaps, a field lab (american, as you called it) is a bit more energetic than the "english lab" (show bench).

mrogers is offline Senior Member

I just added a picture of our purebred English Lab under rainbow bridge. Look for Max's picture in Just 4 Weeks ago thread.

Mekeymoke is offline Junior Member

Thanks for your reply. I thought the eyelids and drool might be a genetic trait. I see a lot of pics of "English" labs where the eyelids seem to resemble my pups. He too is starting to grow into his eyelids. They aren't as noticeable now as they were when he was younger. On a side note, are your labs obsessed with chasing birds or any other animals in the yard? My guy actually catches them which seems pretty stealth for a puppy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast