Blue Buffalo?

Thread: Blue Buffalo?

Jenylynne is offline Senior Member

DefaultBlue Buffalo?

I'm currently feeding Blue Buffalo Limited Ingredient Formula to my two pups. They get 1 1/2 cups in the morning and 1 1/2 cups in the evening. They are both right around 5 months old. They look great...perfect body structure etc. I'm just not sure they are getting enough but they really poop quite a lot as it is and I was under the impression that they should poop LESS on a better food.

So, my question is twofold:

Do you think I'm feeding enough.

Do you think this food is adequate for them or should I be switching to the adult food?

OR is there another brand you would recommend?

BTW, Zeus is about 55 pounds and Clea is right around 46 pounds.

ETA: I guess my question was really threefold! LOL
    Last edited by Jenylynne; 07-17-2012 at 08:23 AM.
    Jen

Cleo, our black beauty

Zeus, our yellow, mellow, fellow

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

I don"t know anything about that food but I do know they are old enough fo the adult formula. What does your vet say about the amount you are feeding them? If they are doing well on the food, and it sounds like they are, I wouldn't change brands. I think younger puppies just poop more often, Maxx went to twice a day around 8-9 months and has continued that schedule since then. I remember Emma and Ozzy doing the same thing but I am not sure exactly how old they were when they did.
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

zonapups is offline Senior Member

My pups are 12 weeks and are on Blue Wilderness Puppy. I can TOTALLY relate to the pooping! They poop 4-5 x per day. Vet said it was normal and would decrease as they got older. We "offer" them 1 cup 3x per day per our vets advice. Seems like a lot given they are only 3 months but per our Vet our two self adjust their feeding habits and told us to give them 1/2 cup more if they ask for it. Shocking advice given they are labs but then again they sometimes eat 2 cups total per day, sometimes 2.5 cups...sometimes 3 cups per day. On a rare occasion it's 3.5 cups for my boy. Overall they seem to eat on average 2.5 cups per day so her explanation makes sense. He is 28 pounds and she is 24 pounds. Both look great. The more they eat the more they seem to poop!

How many treats to do you give them? I noticed if they get a little more than their normal daily allotment of training treats we get an extra poop at least out of them.

I wouldn't change their food if they are doing well on it. 3 cups doesn't seem like a lot at 5 months if you are feeding Blue. I think the bag recommends 3 1/2 - 4 1/4 for 3-5 month old puppies. Can't remember what amount the next scale up is off hand but I remember it being around 4 cups. Our vet agreed with this but also said to adjust the amount to them as the bag is a guideline only. If they are gaining and your vet isn't recommending to feed them more it is probably fine at 3 cups. Just my opinion based on what I've seen with our two.

I'd ask your vet before switching to adult food to make sure they don't have concerns about it. I know some recommend switching by 6 months others by 1 year. I haven't heard anything bad about switching them by 6 months to adult food. That is our plan for our two as long as we don't run into anymore tummy issues.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Jenylynne is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by zonapups View Post
    My pups are 12 weeks and are on Blue Wilderness Puppy. I can TOTALLY relate to the pooping! They poop 4-5 x per day. Vet said it was normal and would decrease as they got older. We "offer" them 1 cup 3x per day per our vets advice. Seems like a lot given they are only 3 months but per our Vet our two self adjust their feeding habits and told us to give them 1/2 cup more if they ask for it. Shocking advice given they are labs but then again they sometimes eat 2 cups total per day, sometimes 2.5 cups...sometimes 3 cups per day. On a rare occasion it's 3.5 cups for my boy. Overall they seem to eat on average 2.5 cups per day so her explanation makes sense. He is 28 pounds and she is 24 pounds. Both look great. The more they eat the more they seem to poop!

How many treats to do you give them? I noticed if they get a little more than their normal daily allotment of training treats we get an extra poop at least out of them.

I wouldn't change their food if they are doing well on it. 3 cups doesn't seem like a lot at 5 months if you are feeding Blue. I think the bag recommends 3 1/2 - 4 1/4 for 3-5 month old puppies. Can't remember what amount the next scale up is off hand but I remember it being around 4 cups. Our vet agreed with this but also said to adjust the amount to them as the bag is a guideline only. If they are gaining and your vet isn't recommending to feed them more it is probably fine at 3 cups. Just my opinion based on what I've seen with our two.

I'd ask your vet before switching to adult food to make sure they don't have concerns about it. I know some recommend switching by 6 months others by 1 year. I haven't heard anything bad about switching them by 6 months to adult food. That is our plan for our two as long as we don't run into anymore tummy issues.
    Thanks for the reply!

Treats: They get blueberries every once in a while and I take from their regular food allocation for other treats at home. Only time they get real "treats" is during obedience class or when I'm training at home and even then, it's not that much.

I have to call the vet about ordering me more heartguard anyway so I will ask her about the food. I did ask at their last check-up and she said they were looking great and weighing in at a good amount. That was a month ago though and we aren't due to see her until they are a year.
    Jen

Cleo, our black beauty

Zeus, our yellow, mellow, fellow

zonapups is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jenylynne View Post

Treats: They get blueberries every once in a while and I take from their regular food allocation for other treats at home. Only time they get real "treats" is during obedience class or when I'm training at home and even then, it's not that much.

I have to call the vet about ordering me more heartguard anyway so I will ask her about the food. I did ask at their last check-up and she said they were looking great and weighing in at a good amount. That was a month ago though and we aren't due to see her until they are a year.
    Sounds like they are in good hands! Never hurts to ask. I'm always worried about my two not eating enough or eating too much. My vet keeps telling me not to worry they are doing great. I always worry. I guess that makes us good parents when we worry. Then again, the only stupid question is the one not asked.

Your two are adorable BTW! They seem to grow like weeds don't they?

Leo and Zoey - born 4/21/12. The loves of my life (other than the hubby)