For those who give "Greenies" dental snacks
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: For those who give "Greenies" dental snacks

SilverBullet is offline Senior Member

DefaultFor those who give "Greenies" dental snacks

I've been buying the Greenies brand dental snacks for Chief. They are supposed to be really good at helping to keep his teeth, gums and breath clean. Last year when I first started buying these, I bought them based on his weight. Since hes close to 100 lbs, the package I had to buy was the "large" size, but they only come in 17 snacks and still cost $30 at PetSmart. For the last 5-6 months I've instead been buying the "regular" size which are for 21-50 lbs, but they come in 27 snacks per box and cost $30 also. I give Chief one per day as part of his snack allotment and he likes them, even though they stink like crazy lol.

I did notice thta Drs. Foster and Smith (where I buy certain toys/dog items online) has a really good sale for Greenies snacks. The "regular" size of 27 is only $16.69 and the "large" size of 17 is $16.69. Thats nearly half price from PetSmart where I usually buy these. I'm going to order about 3-4 boxes of these now at the low price just in case.

Here is the link to the site if you want to order any:

Greenies® Dog Treats | DrsFosterSmith.com
    Chief * Chocolate Lab * Born: 6/14/2010 * Acquired: 8/14/2010 * Current Weight: 101.8 lbs. * AKC Name: Chief White Chocolate

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

rayluckgoo is offline Senior Member

Thanks...I give my boys the regular size as well but only when they're on sale. I currently give a Pedigree dentastix a day because they are about half the price.

Good to know about the Pedigree dentastix. I never bothered checking those out, but considering they are half the price, I may start giving those instead
    Chief * Chocolate Lab * Born: 6/14/2010 * Acquired: 8/14/2010 * Current Weight: 101.8 lbs. * AKC Name: Chief White Chocolate

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

LuvBrown is offline Senior Member

Interesting, unless they have changed the formula, a few years back Greenies were as much the devil as rawhides. Dogs tended to swallow large chunks that did not dissolve quickly.

dogmom is offline Senior Member

Just an FYi, our clinic has had to perform abdominal surgeries on several dogs in the last few years with intestinal blockages due to Greenies. One small dog and three medium/lage breeds. Per the owners, pets were fed the correct sizes. Our clinic will not sell or recommend them any longer.

Diesel_Dawg is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by LuvBrown View Post
    Interesting, unless they have changed the formula, a few years back Greenies were as much the devil as rawhides. Dogs tended to swallow large chunks that did not dissolve quickly.
    I heard that as well. And the Pedigree Dentastix have had recalls and some ingredients come from China. I avoid both of these treats.

georgie is offline Senior Member

I don't use either. Not to scare you, but a lady in our dog club had a lab that choked to death from chewing a large chunk of a greenie & it became lodged in his throat.

Quote Originally Posted by georgie View Post
    I don't use either. Not to scare you, but a lady in our dog club had a lab that choked to death from chewing a large chunk of a greenie & it became lodged in his throat.
    That could happen from chewing anything to be honest, so no, it doesnt scare me. I cant be so protective or worried with him eating snacks, no matter what kind or if they're healthy or not.

rayluckgoo is offline Senior Member

And greenies did change their formula a year or two ago.

labby is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by SilverBullet View Post
    That could happen from chewing anything to be honest, so no, it doesnt scare me. I cant be so protective or worried with him eating snacks, no matter what kind or if they're healthy or not.
    Wow, such a cavalier attitude towards your dog's well being and life.

Laura

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast