A couple issues: diarrhea, allergies and fleas
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A couple issues: diarrhea, allergies and fleas

chelck07 is offline Junior Member

DefaultA couple issues: diarrhea, allergies and fleas

My baby has multiple issues. When we took her to the vet right after we got her I mentioned she had a runny nose and the vet said it was just allergies and they haven't given us any trouble besides her nose running. But now we are having trouble with fleas and I think she is allergic to them. She is 4and a half months and i just had to give her her first flea treatment. It seemed like they just popped up. One day she was fine and the next she was scratching like crazy and she has little red bump things on her stomach. I gave her Trifexis but she is still scratching. Has anyone else had success with Trifexis? I'm debating if I should switch her to something else next month.

Another issue we ran into after we got her was diarrhea. The vet tested her stool and it came back completely fine. So we cut everything out but her food and water and her stools went back to normal. So we have learned that she also has a sensitive stomach. She only gets a limited amount of treats and she gets a rawhide every couple of days. But she has been having issues with diarhea again so I think I want to try another food. I accidentally bought the wrong puppy food last time. It is the same brand but a different kind so I'm sure that is what our issue is right now. But I know she will benefit from a better food. So what are your recommendations on food?

And then my last issue. I had noticed a small red bump on her private area like a week ago and I thought it was like the little bumps on her belly from the fleas so I thought it would go away with the fleas (which are still being a pest.) But I checked this morning and it has gotten quite a bit bigger. It doesn't seem to hurt her at all. And it doesn't affect her urinating. I am going to make an appointment with the vet tomorrow but I was wondering if anyone would have any ideas of what it could be. And of anything that might help it.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

And to add, she acts completely normal.

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

Hi! We need a little more info from you. What kind of food are you feeding now? Does she still have a runny nose. I am not a big supporter of treatments like Trifexis. I am not sure what other members would say, but I don't want to give my dog any more chemicals than are necessary. Why give a medication with a wormer in it when she doesn't have worms? If you see them, then treat for them. I can't see the need for that portion of the Trifexis. You said after you gave the Trifexis, she was still scratching. Do you see any actual fleas? In some dogs, once the flea bites them they get an allergic reaction that causes a bumpy rash. Sophie had whelps, especially on her inner thighs. Your dog may have the rash or bites for a time after the fleas are gone. Dogs can get flea allergy dermatitis from the flea bites. Make sure you have treated the environment, and any other animals. We sprayed our house with Raid Flea in the purple can, make sure to lift sofas and spray under beds where it is dark. Under sofa cushions too. We give Sophie Comfortis for fleas. It also has Spinosad, the ingredient inTrifexis that kills fleas. You can treat for fleas and heartworm separately instead of one pill, that way your dog isn't being treated monthly with a medication for worms she doesn't have anyway. One of the side effects for Trifexis is diarrhea. But, it could be the rawhides. Rawhides are not good for your dog. They are very often made in China, and salmonella and other things have been linked to products from China. Always read labels and look for where something is made. Many dog treats are from China, even name brand ones. When you discontinued everything but food and water, the diarrhea went away, so it could be the rawhides or other treats causing this. Try human food for treats. Sophie loves apples, and cheese chunks (don't give too many) and bananas.

It could also be possible that your dog is grain sensitive. Grain sensitivity can cause diarrhea, hair loss, runny nose and scratching and rash and ear infections. I would try a good quality grain free food. It is also possible there is an environmental allergen, but they are hard to detect which factor could be causing a reaction. Food change is easy to try. We changed Sophie to grain free and within 2 weeks, the change in her was amazing. She stopped scratching and her hair loss reversed. She was about 4 months when the problems you describe started with her. Also, when your dog get loose stools, you can give a couple tablespoons of pure canned pumpkin in with her kibble. Once or twice will often fix the problem.

The bump on her privates might be a bite. Sophie had one once, right next to the opening. It went away after a week or so. We just watched it to make sure it went away. Be sure to point this out to your vet.

We love pictures here, and look forward to seeing yours. Good luck and let us know how it goes.
    Last edited by Sophiesmama; 07-08-2012 at 06:30 PM.
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

The change in food could have caused her to have the runs. I realize you got a different formula accidentally, but any sudden food change will do this, especially to a young puppy. I'd feed her white rice and boiled chicken for a couple of days and then slowly add back in the kibble you want to go forward with.

Rawhides are crap. I don't feed them to my dogs ever. They have no food value and are potentially dangerous as they can cause blockages. I'd never feed them to a puppy.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

I will have to try the flea medication that you use on your dog next month. There are other pets around and they are also treated for fleas and are battling them right now too. We will have to try a spray or something for the house to see if that solves our problem. She is eating Purina Puppy Chow. I asked my vet if that could be what the problem was and she said she doubted it and was trying to test her for parasites, which as I said came back normal. They gave her an antibiotic to treat for any parasites that she might have and it also was an antidiarrheal so that stopped the loose stools until the meds were gone and then it started again. The vet just wanted me to bring in another sample but we had just done a sample and it was fine so I decided to cut out all of her treats and what we call "chewys" (some kind of edible stick thing). And then when it stopped we slowly started introducing those things back into her diet to see what was causing it. We reduced the amount of treat she got after she pottyed, so she started getting like a fourth of a treat instead of a whole and then gave her the rawhides instead of the chew sticks. After looking at the package on the chew sticks they were like artificially flavored weird stuff. So we got the rawhides thinking that they would be more "natural" and she does ok with them if she doesn't get more than one a day. But I will definitely stop with those too. I had no idea that they were so bad! I guess I need to research some alternative ideas for "chewys". She just loves them, you say chewy and her eyes light up and her ears perk up and she turns her head. Do you have anything that you give your dogs for to chew on? We tried a pig ear from the "Rural King" (like a farm and feed store). Do you thing that those are ok? I am definately going to have to do some research on some alternatives. Someone told me about the pumpkin so tomorrow while I am in town I am going to pick up some of that. Thank you guys for the advice! Hopefully we can get my little girl back in tip top shape very very soon!

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

I would not give pig ears. I have read of dogs that swallow so much of them that they swell in the stomach and cause pain and blockages. You can get antlers to chew on. They can chew for months and not chew through them. Raw bones are good, but with the puppy diarrhea, I would not leave the marrow in, as it is very rich. You can try nylabones. Many lab owners here use them, but Sophie isn't crazy about them. Be careful buying dog jerky, most of it comes from China. Some people buy Pedigree Denta Stix. I have heard pro and con about them, but nothing serious. The Purina Puppy Chow is a very low quality food. It is mostly grain/cereal. If your pup is grain sensitive, it is going to make the problem worse. You need to gradually switch to good quality food. You can research the brands. I like this site: Dog Food Reviews and Ratings | Dog Food Advisor Personally, with your dog's issues, I would try a grain free food and see how it goes. Make sure when you buy pumpkin, you get "pure" pumpkin, not the pie mix. You can also try adding some probiotics. Good luck.
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

I would just use nylabones or a Kong for your puppy. Giving her other stuff she ingests is adding in food product that is (IMO) questionably sourced and just not worth giving to a puppy.

I would treat her only with the kibble you are feeding and no other treats until you get her gut back in order. If you can upgrade her to a better food - Purina Pro Plan is better. Don't get the "shreds". The shreds are soy based and not a good choice.

I don't think its at all clear that your dog has a food allergy - the sniffling could be from environment and may just pass on its own. You do need to treat your home and yard to get rid of fleas or they will just be a constant problem for your puppy. I would do that rather than use a pesticide on your puppy - but that's me - I don't treat my dogs for fleas or ticks and have never had a problem here.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Luvmydog2much is offline Senior Member

All of these things could be from the heat.

When my dogs get a lot of activity, especially in the heat, their stools are soft.

Little red bumps sound like a staph infection, if she has been wet or laying in the grass, that's what it could be.

As for fleas, any good National brand is what I would use if I had them, I've never had them, so I give nothing
    'Don't grow up too quickly, lest you forget how much you love the beach.'
    ~ Michelle Held

Rhys, Ruby and Nola

LuvBrown is offline Senior Member

I think vets dump alot of crap in the "allergies" category. Did you rescue the pup or get it from a good breeder? Sometimes a pup has a wet nose that drips, doesn't mean it's sick.

Dogs can have reactions to flea bites, so that's normal. I would find a simple flea/tick medication, not one with worming medication in it.

Pups can get the runs from eating anything new or anything they aren't supposed to like dirt and grass. If you keep the dog on a normal food (yes, you are going to have to be careful to pick up the SAME brand, SAME flavor each time), and don't feed too much, you shouldn't have a problem with runs.

And I would stop the rawhides until you narrow down what's giving the dog the loose stools. It may not be the rawhides, but you need to limit the dog's intake and be 100% of what it's eating as you figure this out. Once you have gotten past the diarrhea, I would introduce the rawhides again. I have never had a problem with them with any of my dogs.

Mike Richards is offline Senior Member

It sounds like that you are missing an area where the the Fleas are. It's hard to get rid of fleas once they get hold in the house. Have a look at this site and hopefully it will give a better understand of where you should concentrate the treatments.

HowStuffWorks "The Flea Life Cycle"

As for the rash i think if you loose the fleas you will loose the rash.

The Raw hides, A so called friend thought he would be kind and give Axel one which Ozzy got hold of, don't know how long he was chewing it but the next day we had to clean the house from top to bottom, vaxing the lot. We give Pigs ears to both Dogs and they are fine on them, for what i see and read they can digest them and do not cause any problems as long as you are not giving to many..

As some others have posted, sort the diarrhea out before you go back to the treats.

You can see that we on JL have so many different ways of treating and feeding our dogs, each dog is different you just need to find what suits your dog and you..
    Ozzy Born 19th March 2012

Axel Born 19th Aug 2009

Never moon a werewolf....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast