What Snacks (good or bad) do you give?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What Snacks (good or bad) do you give?

SilverBullet is offline Senior Member

DefaultWhat Snacks (good or bad) do you give?

Just curious to know what snacks do you give your Lab? I realize many of you are particular on what you feed him and probably dont give many, if any snacks during the day, but wondered which kinds do you give, whether or not they are healthy or unhealthy -- fattening or not. Here are the kinds I currently give, and also some that I have tried:

Currently giving:
    1. Motts brand fresh apple slices. They come in little packs of 6 per box. I give one pack every day or two usually.

2. Greenies brand snacks. These are great for keeping their teeth white, but boy do they stink and are expensive. Even though Chief is 95-100 lbs now, I give him the "regular" size not the size according to his weight because you get 27 snacks or the "regular" size for $30, opposed to 16 snacks for $30 for the "larger size".

3. Canyon Creek Ranch brand Duck Tenders. I give him a few of these usually each day between meals.

4. I do mix in fresh canned vegetables (about 1/4 cup) of either green beans, peas or carrots with his kibble for Dinner only. For breakfast I just give him kibble.

5. Once in awhile, about once a week, I will fill one of his small Kong toys with some peanut butter (Jif brand, reduced fat) as a special treat.

I have tried Milo's Kitchen snacks (chicken tenders, meatball) but they are way too expensive for the little amount you get. I have also tried and sometimes get Beggin Strips. I have also tried the Frosty Paws ice cream nuggets but cant find the Nuggets anymore. All they sell of Frosty Paws is the little ice cream cups which I dont like giving to him. But the Frosty Paw nuggets were good.
    Last edited by SilverBullet; 07-06-2012 at 11:27 AM.
    Chief * Chocolate Lab * Born: 6/14/2010 * Acquired: 8/14/2010 * Current Weight: 101.8 lbs. * AKC Name: Chief White Chocolate

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Bookwormbiker is offline Senior Member

I always give Duke a couple of slices of my banana when I'm cutting it up for my cereal. If I have apples, I give him a few bite size pieces. I give him pieces of string cheese once in awhile. Baby carrots . . . . he'll eat them, but I don't think he cares for them too much.
    We also give him kibble mixed with Jif (regular, not reduced-fat) in his zogoflex a few times a week. I know. . . . bad, bad dog-parents.
    He also gets a homemade version of the frosty paws in the summer, but I've been lazy and haven't made any even though we're in the middle of a heat wave. Guess I'll have to get off my lazy butt and go make him some, lol

Dio's mama is offline Senior Member

Dio and Kaity get treats when I'm prepping food. So, bits of veggies (red peppers, carrots, peas, celery...) or I do a frozen Kong once a week. Today is the day since I need them occupied outside while I vacuum and wash the floors.
    Gabrielle
    Dio (Best Bud since July 18th, 2009)
    Kaity (Sweetheart since April 29th, 2012)

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

You make your own Frosty Paws treats? Thats cool. Is it difficult to make? I have made Chief homemade cookie treats specially for dogs. I think the ingredients for that was honey, carob and flour and stuff. Oh I have also tried the "Pet Cakes" that you make in the microwave. They have different flavors (Carob or Pizza) and its like a mini cake you mix the bag in with water and either peanut butter or something. You can only get those online. They make three 3" size bone shape cakes per packet. Chief loves them, but I havent made him any lately. I do want to order a few more boxes of those. If you get a chance, can you either post or message me with your Frosty Paw frozen recipe? Id like to try that myself for Chief! Thanks.
    Chief * Chocolate Lab * Born: 6/14/2010 * Acquired: 8/14/2010 * Current Weight: 101.8 lbs. * AKC Name: Chief White Chocolate

Bookwormbiker is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by SilverBullet View Post
    You make your own Frosty Paws treats? Thats cool. Is it difficult to make? I have made Chief homemade cookie treats specially for dogs. I think the ingredients for that was honey, carob and flour and stuff. Oh I have also tried the "Pet Cakes" that you make in the microwave. They have different flavors (Carob or Pizza) and its like a mini cake you mix the bag in with water and either peanut butter or something. You can only get those online. They make three 3" size bone shape cakes per packet. Chief loves them, but I havent made him any lately. I do want to order a few more boxes of those. If you get a chance, can you either post or message me with your Frosty Paw frozen recipe? Id like to try that myself for Chief! Thanks.

I use this recipe and sometimes use blueberries, when we have them. I bought a plastic freezer mold with dog bone shapes (six) and put the mixture in this. I give Duke his outside because he likes to take it in the living room on the rug and slowly lick it while it gets soft. It can make a mess.

32 oz. vanilla yogurt
    1 banana - mashed
    Peanut Butter 2 Tbsp

Dog Ice Bones, two sizes: Good Dog Pet Express, Inc.
    You could also use cupcake tins, I'd imagine.
    Last edited by Bookwormbiker; 07-06-2012 at 11:55 AM.

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

The only processed treats they get are dog biscquits (I buy a few different kinds). I don't like the jerky treats or pigs ears other similar preserved foods. Mine get green beans with each meal - I don't consider that a treat.

They really don't get much else.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Jenylynne is offline Senior Member

Mine get a frozen kong filled with some of their breakfast kibble, blueberries and sealed with peanut butter every morning. It keeps them occupied at 5:30am for an hour! They get the remainder of their breakfast in their bowls.

I also will give, but not every day:

frozen blueberries
    frozen banana
    baby carrots
    pureed pumpkin (if I see their stools getting loose, and only a tablespoon at most.)

For training, they get pieces of cooked chicken or billy jac training treats, but I find the training treats make them poop so I don't give them many.

ETA: When they were in the really bad teething stage, they would get a bully stick each. Would last them about a week, until Zeus decided to swallow a 4 inch piece and I haven't given those again. (And yes, he passed it, no issues!)
    Jen

Cleo, our black beauty

Zeus, our yellow, mellow, fellow

bigbrownsmom is offline Senior Member

No treats here. Sometimes green beans with meals or
    sometimes a banana cut up. That's it.

Forgot, sometimes a peanut butter jar
    Last edited by bigbrownsmom; 07-06-2012 at 12:42 PM.

Diesel_Dawg is offline Senior Member

Diesel's usual treats are just the dehyrdated liver chunks. I'm going to try making these myself sometime soon. For "people" food, he usually gets just the good stuff like blueberries - I toss them in the air & he practices his catch!; he always gets the last piece of the banana; I share my apples dipped in peanut butter snack; he gets to lick the bowl after I've had my yogurt & fruit; and he sometimes gets a piece of the pizza crust, but not always, it depends on how big the drool puddle is.

Probably the only "junk" food I give him is he gets to lick my plate after I've had my egg/cheese/spinach wrap -- he loves this & waits patiently for me to finish, if I get distracted he drops his chin in my lap! He loves it because the plate has a puddle of juice from the melted cheese, butter and sometimes the yolk if I cooked the eggs just over easy. Sometimes I share my popsicle with him, but I only buy the natural fruit ones so it's not really junk food, but a treat nonetheless.

ETA he does get a Kong filled with natural peanut butter, kibble, banana & blueberries, but only if I'll be gone a long time as it keeps him out of trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by Bookwormbiker View Post
    I use this recipe and sometimes use blueberries, when we have them. I bought a plastic freezer mold with dog bone shapes (six) and put the mixture in this. I give Duke his outside because he likes to take it in the living room on the rug and slowly lick it while it gets soft. It can make a mess.

32 oz. vanilla yogurt
    1 banana - mashed
    Peanut Butter 2 Tbsp

Dog Ice Bones, two sizes: Good Dog Pet Express, Inc.
    You could also use cupcake tins, I'd imagine.
    Good to know, thanks for the info and recipe. I do have a 3-bone hard plastic mold that came with the Pet Cakes mix I initially ordered, so I can use that. So these freeze well just like popsicles? Im going to try this very soon. Thanks again!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast