Feeding new puppy

Thread: Feeding new puppy

DefaultFeeding new puppy

When we bring our new puppy home in a few weeks I plan to slowly move her to Orijen Large Breed Puppy. At 6 months of age, I will switch her to Orijen 6 Fish ALS, the same food that my cockers are on. Good choice? Thoughts??? Is the protein content in Orijen too high for a LB puppy?

Note: I believe that the puppies will be on Royal Canin while still at the breeder's, but I would like to try to move from a "good food" to what I consider a "top of the line" food. (This is a debatable statement, I know, but is what I feel is true in my experience.)

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I switched my pup to Orijen LBP. Had similar situation to yours - my breeder had Xane on Science Diet, which is a pure junk if one really pays attention to the ingredients in it.

Be very slow as to the way you switch your pup, coz mine still has diarrhea on and off. I think it may be due to the high protein content. After doing research about Orijen, I've come across some dog owners saying that their dogs did fine on it, while others had to eventually switch to some other food coz their dogs never adjusted to the food.

Besides the diarrhea issues, I've noticed a HUGE difference in his coat. It's so shiny, everyone comments on it. Also, he had really bad ear infection and itched like crazy. That is all gone now!

Good luck. Keep us posted how your baby does. Also, you may wanna post your questions in the general Lab Chat section. I've noticed people are more responsive there than here...

Sincerely,
    ~Olena
    Last edited by Xanusha; 11-27-2009 at 07:13 PM.

Thanks for your reply! We chose our new puppy today and will bringing her home in another 3 weeks. I will definitely be switching her onto Orijen VERY slowly. I have also heard some people say that Orijen seemed to be a bit too rich for their dog, in fact, I only feed Orijen to one of my cockers (the other gets Wellness Core) for this very reason.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

amazongold is offline Senior Member

You might want to check with your breeder before you do any switching. Some require that you keep the pup on a certain food until they are a certain age.

Also, dogs do better on different foods. Some do very well on 'cheap' foods, where others require a single-source protein. If a dog thrives on a particular food, then that is what it shoudl be fed, regardless of the ingredients, brand, or cost. It's all in what works best for that particular dog.
    Jackie, Champ, and Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by amazongold View Post
    Some do very well on 'cheap' foods, where others require a single-source protein. If a dog thrives on a particular food, then that is what it shoudl be fed, regardless of the ingredients, brand, or cost. It's all in what works best for that particular dog.
    Why would you want to feed your dog some crappy low quality food??? A dog may do OK on it because that is what he/she was introduced to from the start as a pup. However, it does not mean the food is good for the dog. It maybe OK now, but in the long run your dog may develop some illnesses due to the low quality/lack of necessary nutrients...

jazzmom is offline Junior Member

Jazzmine eats Orijen LBP & I also do a kibble rotation with the 3 varieties of Acana (also grain free & made by Champion). Her skin & ear issues have gone away & she has good poops. She is 8 months old & I plan to switch to Orijen adult formulas when she's a year old.

Lucky6 is offline Senior Member

Good for you for doing the dog food research! http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/
    I like this review website...it really breaks it down and covers a lot of the different brands of dog food on the market! I totally agree with you on feeding your dog the best food, that is of course, the best one you can afford. My husband always teases me for being neurotic about it, he will say he fed his dogs on the farm kibble and bits and they lived to be 16 yrs old. That is why dog food is so debatable. I believe if feeding my dog a healthy diet COULD prolong their life and help deter illnesses than that is what I will do. Your pup is lucky that you are starting him off in the right direction.
    Katie adopted by koko

Another option you might wanna look into is feeding dehydrated food. It is much better than the dry kibble from the nutritional stand point. Since it does not go through the high temp cooking process, only 3-5% of nutrients are lost, the rest are all preserved and reinstated to its natural form once water is added. The only downside is that it is pricey. But considering that it may save you big on vet bills in the future, might be worth it. I am thinking about switching to The Honest Kitchen dehydrated food once my boy gets all his immune/GI issues under control.....

Dani is offline Senior Member

I'd wait to see how the breeder is with food. Honestly...if your dog is doing well on something, why would you put them unnecessarily on a food roller coaster? Puppy stomachs are sensitive. If it ain't broke, no need to fix it. I wouldn't personally feed "top of the line" food unless it was warranted. I have fed top of the line food and my dogs did well on it, but I can't justify the expense. My boys do just as well as they did on middle of the road food. They sure can't tell the difference.

I am not in favor of putting a dog through that if it's only in your interest and not the dogs.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

Luvmydog2much is offline Senior Member

Ditto.

What is the breeder feeding the puppy that is so horrible?

Personally there's only a handful of foods I'd steer clear of (puppy chow, pedigree, Beneful, Science diet etc) and if a breeder I was looking at a puppy from fed these foods, I'd run. If you are so adverse to the food they feed, I'd re-evaluate your breeder.

That said, I do feed Orijen and have had nice results with it, I'd feed Large Breed Puppy.
    'Don't grow up too quickly, lest you forget how much you love the beach.'
    ~ Michelle Held

Rhys, Ruby and Nola