For anyone who's dogs may be a picky eater

Thread: For anyone who's dogs may be a picky eater

SilverBullet is offline Senior Member

DefaultFor anyone who's dogs may be a picky eater

Chief is for the most part not a picky eater. He'll eat almost anything at any time. However every once in awhile he may not eat his breakfast or dinner right away. I do not leave it sit there for him to come back later either, but I bought some dog "seasoning" that you sprinkle on top of his kibble and this stuff really works great. Any time he doesnt seem to want to eat, I sprinkle this on top and sure enough, he eats his food. I realize if a dog doesnt want to eat right away, there is probably a specific reason such as not hungry yet, tired or even a possible health issue, but for the most part, this is good at helping your dog eat.

Its called "Smiling Dog Kibble Seasoning". The flavor I bought is the Chicken with Apples and Spinach. It looks just like all spice seasoning. I bought it from amazon and the flavor I got was $13.99 for a 4.3oz size. Here is the link: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss...bl%2Caps%2C222

The main website is here, where you can read about it and search your area for stores locally that also sell it: Smiling Dog Kibble Seasoning
    Chief * Chocolate Lab * Born: 6/14/2010 * Acquired: 8/14/2010 * Current Weight: 101.8 lbs. * AKC Name: Chief White Chocolate

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Diesel_Dawg is offline Senior Member

Glad you keep finding unique methods and products for your dog that seem to work for you, but I would err on the side of caution masking what could potentially be an issue with your dog that needs to be addressed, or quite possibly your dog is just testing you to see what you will do to get him to eat. Like I said, glad it works for you - just playing devil's advocate.

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

Sophie has never been the typical fast eating labby. She often takes her time eating, and sometimes doesn't want breakfast. She never has gulped her food. She is a healthy 85 lbs. She is lean and doesn't look like she weighs that much! I was surprized when she was weighed. We often "spice" up her kibble with veggies like green beans, carrots or potatoes. She also likes scrambled eggs and sometimes we sprinkle a little cheese on top. She likes the kibble we switched to after the TOTW recall. We got California Naturals grain free venison. We used to wet her kibble, but lately she seems to prefer it dry.
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Ive had this seasoning for over a year now and have used it maybe 3-4 times total. Chief 99% of the time eats his meals when given. I also mix in fresh vegetables with his dinner only (green beans, peas or carrotts) to add to his kibble. For breakfast he gets just the kibble.
    Chief * Chocolate Lab * Born: 6/14/2010 * Acquired: 8/14/2010 * Current Weight: 101.8 lbs. * AKC Name: Chief White Chocolate

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

I had a REALLY picky dog (obviously not a Lab) and I made the mistake of trying to jazz up her meals to make them more appealing. That is a losing battle - a truly picky dog will just keep upping the ante. I finally just put down the kibble, if she did not eat it, I picked it up and it made a reappearance at the next meal. She ate it eventually and stopped being picky.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

My Emma is a picky eater and I have to agree with Sharon, she can eat it when I put it down or away it goes. Emma is not thin, she is in great shape, I figure if she is hungry she will eat. Maxx inhales his food regardless of the type of bowl it is in.
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

Chief for the most part inhales his food whenever I feed him also. I think maybe 2-3 times in the 2 years Ive had him, he didnt seem to want to eat right away. One time was expected because we were visiting friends for the day and he was out in the yard playing and running and it was hot, so I probably should have let him calm down and cool down before feeding him. The other time he just sniffed it and walked away, thats when I sprinkled the seasoning on it and sure enough he came back and started eating. Needless to say, Ill probably have this seasoning for years to come since I hardly ever use it.

MikeE is offline Senior Member

Wait! There's such a thing as a Lab that's a picky eater?!?!?! Blasphemy!!

amazongold is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by MikeE View Post
    Wait! There's such a thing as a Lab that's a picky eater?!?!?! Blasphemy!!
    ^That! If my boys don't eat, something is wrong.
    Jackie, Champ, and Buddy