Help relive hip problem, anything we can do?

Thread: Help relive hip problem, anything we can do?

WoodiE55 is offline Junior Member

DefaultHelp relive hip problem, anything we can do?

We have a 4 1/2yr old yellow lab who has shown an issue in one of her back legs. Dogs legs go from front to back when running while our yellow lab (Bailey) has on leg that while going front to back also kicks out to the side.

She's always been reluctant going up and down stairs which at first we thought was just being a puppy and scared but now I'm wondering if it's because of her hips. Bailey also loves sleeping on our bed (tempurpedic) while we're at work. Here in the last week or two she's not been to keen jumping up on the bed.

I'm curious is this possibly hip dysplasia? Also is there anything we can give her that might help with the pain be it different types of food, treats, fruits, medicines?

Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Diesel_Dawg is offline Senior Member

I think a visit to the vet is in order first and foremost. Don't mess around with foods, meds or your own diagnosis & treatment without consulting with a vet first. Hoping it's not HD, please get her in for a check up asap.

deidra is offline Senior Member

I second the vet visit. Tank has hip problems and I do not give him medications. he doesn't have HD but how the vet explained it(I am toning t down a bit since he used really big words,lol) is it isnt full blown HD but is the starter stage of it and has a high percent chance of getting arthritis. When he is having a bad day, which means doesnt want to move, having trouble getting up, cant go 5 minutes without favoring a leg, I just let him be. Put him in his crate if need be or just let him chill on the couch. If he is having a good day I watch him closely. On his good days he can go about 30 minutes of running without favoring a leg and can go for at-least a 2 mile hike with some breaks in it. Every case is different though and again I highly think a vet visit is in order.
    ~It doesn't matter how smart the dog is,it matters how smart the owner is.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

See a vet. And maybe consider getting her a dog bed with a temperpedic insert if she likes yours.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

labgirl12 is offline Banned

Quote Originally Posted by WoodiE55 View Post
    We have a 4 1/2yr old yellow lab who has shown an issue in one of her back legs. Dogs legs go from front to back when running while our yellow lab (Bailey) has on leg that while going front to back also kicks out to the side.

She's always been reluctant going up and down stairs which at first we thought was just being a puppy and scared but now I'm wondering if it's because of her hips. Bailey also loves sleeping on our bed (tempurpedic) while we're at work. Here in the last week or two she's not been to keen jumping up on the bed.

I'm curious is this possibly hip dysplasia? Also is there anything we can give her that might help with the pain be it different types of food, treats, fruits, medicines?

Thanks.
    OP, see a vet asap. But nutrients won't help you in any way. Just rely on dog food and medication, this is what I heard from the members that posted here. Good luck and god bless.