Foxtail

Thread: Foxtail

Canula2000 is offline Senior Member

AngryFoxtail

Last night I noticed my cavalier spaniel had swelling near his penis. I thought it was odd but thought that he was probably injured himself rough housing with our new pup. Today I checked on it and it looked like a pimple had formed on the end of the swelling. When I saw it I decided it must be from a bug bite. Well I just got done bathing him and decided to have a closer look. I felt something like a splinter or sliver so I took tweezer and pulled out foxtail!

Should I worry there may be more inside his body? I am kinda freaked out now that I read some reports of them migrating into the lungs. We will be at the vet Monday morning.

"Every boy should have two things: a dog, and a mother willing to let him have one"
    - Anonymous

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

Foxtails usually come out in one piece, they are anchored pretty well at the point. I would just watch it for infection. Any sign of it, I'd call the vet.
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

I am taking him into the vet tomorrow morning but it does look like the swelling is going down. I feel bad my dog had this in him and I didn't even know. I have been walking in the fields but I didn't notice any foxtails on him after the walk, but I never roll him over to look. I am going to be a little better about checking him after our walks from now on.

"Every boy should have two things: a dog, and a mother willing to let him have one"
    - Anonymous

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

labgirl12 is offline Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Canula2000 View Post
    Last night I noticed my cavalier spaniel had swelling near his penis. I thought it was odd but thought that he was probably injured himself rough housing with our new pup. Today I checked on it and it looked like a pimple had formed on the end of the swelling. When I saw it I decided it must be from a bug bite. Well I just got done bathing him and decided to have a closer look. I felt something like a splinter or sliver so I took tweezer and pulled out foxtail!

Should I worry there may be more inside his body? I am kinda freaked out now that I read some reports of them migrating into the lungs. We will be at the vet Monday morning.
    Yes, I would look over his body to make sure nothing else is there. Also look into whether that swelling is an infection.

I just thought I would do a quick update. I took my cavalier into the vet and she checked him over. She said everything looked good and that I must have gotten all of the seed out because there was no sign of infection. His swelling is going down and looks really good this morning. My vet was nice enough not to charge me an office visit!

- Anonymous