He keeps collapsing :(
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: He keeps collapsing :(

Alex is offline Member

DefaultHe keeps collapsing :(

Hi all

I havent been on the forum for a while now, been so busy at work and such, and I regret my return is not on a happy note..
    About 3 days ago Enzo (now 8 months - male) Started to act a bit weird... at first he seemed sad, then i thought he may be in pain, 2 days ago i took him out to pee and he collapsed, he got right back up, but his back legs just gave way... i took him to the vet who said he thinks he may have hurt his hind legs, possible doing a sort of chicken flatty maneuver... He gave me pain killers and told me to return on Monday (2 days from now). He said the pain killers should get him back to his usual self and if not, there may be a bigger issue, but when i asked about hip dysplasia he said he is too young to show signs... Anyways, so i got home and since then he seems to have worsened... he is acting less scared, presumably he is in less pain, but he seems to collapse more and more frequently... even the slightest nudge sends his rear to the floor He stands awkwardly while peeing and battles with stairs.. I cant stand seeing my happy-go-lucky pup like this Im taking him back on Monday, but what i guess i want to ask ids, has anyone had a similar experience, or has anyones dog shown signs of hip problems at only 8 months?

Thanks in advance.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

dogmom is offline Senior Member

Sounds almost neurological. Have they done any blood work or xrays? CT or MRI? He certainly could have orthopedic issues at 8 months, one of my GSD's had his first hip surgery at 10 months.

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

I would get blood work done right away. I am not familiar with diseases specific to your country, but it is possible that it's related to a tick borne illness that can cause paralysis. It does sound to me like it's neurological rather than suddenly very bad joint disease.

Or he could have a spinal injury. In any event, I don't think treating with pain killers is the way to go. Pain killers can cause a dog to exert himself more than he should if he has an actual injury. If you are going to give pain killers you also need to seriously restrict his activity/enforce crate rest.
    Last edited by BigBrownDog; 06-02-2012 at 10:32 AM.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

LuvBrown is offline Senior Member

I would not suspect hip dysplasia, but either disease or a nuerological problem.

Alex is offline Member

Thanks fpr all the replies The vet said if he isnt better by Monday he will do blood work and X rays and so forth... its now Saturday even so i cant speed up the vet visit at all... I hope it is just an injury from falling and not a disease, dysplasia or a neurological disorder Someone did suggest tick bite fever... but he checked his temp and all that and said he wasnt physically ill...

No sure what type of ticks you have in South Africa but at least here in the US, there are a large number of ticks and some of the diseases they carry do not induce a fever. But many cause neuro signs. If this were my dog, I would insist on a comprehensive exam on Monday to include a full blood panel with tick borne diseases and xrays, even if he seems better by Monday.

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

I have no advice, I have never dealt with something like this and can only imagine how frightened you are. You were given lots of good suggestion, I think the best ones are to keep him quiet, in his crate and get the vet ASAP for test, blood work, etc. I really hope it is nothing serious and Enzo, (and you), will be in my thoughts and prayers. Please keep us posted! Get better soon Enzo.
    Last edited by tammyhuffman; 06-02-2012 at 11:55 AM.
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

Jenylynne is offline Senior Member

Poor pup and poor you! This sounds very similar to what happened to my brothers lab. It ended up he had lymes and after the antibiotics, was fine. I see you are not in the US, but are there cases of lyme's disease in canines there?

In any case, I hope you get a diagnosis that is simple to correct.
    Jen

Cleo, our black beauty

Zeus, our yellow, mellow, fellow

I would also be concerned about Leishmaniasis if you have sand fleas in your area. Has he shown any dermatitis type of signs?

Alex is offline Member

Im not sure about the diseases we get in the area to be honest :/ He has had all his shots though... But i will ask the vet to do all the comprehensive tests... also we do have a sand flea problem here and he does have a slight skin problem, he is often on Prednisolone and dematological shampoos for his skin, but has been since 8 weeks old... Thanks everyone for your advice and concerns... Im kinda just hanging in until Monday when the vets are open... He isnt crated (i dont crate train) But he is constantly by my side, he sleeps in my room and only goes out to do his business... he isnt trying to exert himself, so he shouldnt worsen the problem...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast