Too much sleep?

Thread: Too much sleep?

shorT is offline Junior Member

DefaultToo much sleep?

I'm not sure if I should be concerned or not... My 8 month old Harley is sleeping... a lot.

I went out of town 2 weeks ago and left Harley with "papa", who took Harley to doggie daycare every day for 5 days straight. Of course, the pup was exhausted every evening from his full day of play and just slept. We've been back to the normal routine for the past 10 days and all Harley wants to do is sleep! He's eating, drinking and eliminating just fine, and is as affection as he has been (he's not that into PDAs, but will snuggle when he's tired). He's happy to go on our walks in the morning, and follow me around the house, but he just seems subdued. He's not as interested in fetch, or tug of war. He'll play for a bit, then "flop". My mom even noticed when she took him for a doggie play date yesterday.

Is this a phase? Is he growing up? Or should I be more concerned?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

I think if you are concerned you should ask your vet. My dogs (3 and 6) sleep most of the day, which is typical of most dogs. But, when they have something to do, they are plenty active. So, if your dog is acting lethargic, he may have a problem....or he might be just fine.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

I think Sharon gave you great advice. Hopefully he it is a growth spurt causing the extra sleeo. Harley and you will be in my thoughts. Keeps us posted!
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

shorT is offline Junior Member

Well, I haven't called the vet yet, but after researching online, and a few coincidences, I think I may have an idea... combination peanut butter food intolerance AND not getting enough protein.

Up until a few weeks ago, Harley was eating Taste of Wild, salmon flavor. And he was getting 1-2 peanut butter kongs per day. Then, he had a very nasty bout with diarrhea, and the vet prescribed a different food and antibotics. So, I switched him to Purina Pro, LB puppy, and started stuffing the kongs with a rice/egg mixture. Well, after posting yesterday, I wondered if his blood sugar was low due to the switch from very rich foods to not-nearly-as rich. So, I gave him a couple of spoonfuls of peanut butter in a kong.

Well, Harley perked right up, wanting to play and getting into everything... pretty much back to his puppy self. "Well" I thought "there ya go. We need to up his blood sugar level!" Then, last night, the diarrhea came back. And has continued through today. Coincidence?

Again, he's eating and drinking just fine. And he was more than happy to go on an hour long walk this morning, and play with every dog we met along the way. We've not given him any more peanut butter, but I'm hoping that his eliminations will improve as the peanut butter works through his system. If not, I'll be calling the vet first thing Monday morning.

He's pretty much "flopping" today, but I think that might be a combination of upset stomach and, again, low blood sugar. I researched this last night, and he's got a lot of other symptoms/potential influencers. Parvo as a 3 month old, and apparently the meds mess with the bacteria in the gut, making survivor dogs susceptible. Yeast infections in his ear, despite lack of water activity. And now, diarrhea with clean labs.

So, if energy level is a symptom of low blood sugar, any recommendations on how to give him enough protein/healthy sugars without furthering his food intolerances?

SLAB is offline Member

I have seen labs that have what I call the Lazy gene, they are lazy and sleep much of the time. Often these are the labs that do gain weight and have issues. The labs that are by their nature full of energy, they stay thinner. Much like people, sometimes exercise comes easy and sometimes sleep comes easy. I have had both types.

Slab

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

I would try some cream cheese in the Kong instead of PB. The PB might be what's upsetting him. Cream cheese has protein and might not be as upsetting to him. Sophie loves cream cheese. I put her meds in it and she inhales it without realizing its there. She is a napper too, naps a lot. We just changed from TOTW Salmon as well. After all the recalls I didn't want to chance it. We found California Naturals at our pet store, and the salmon has pretty much the same formula as TOTW. Sophie has been on it 2 weeks, she likes it, and we haven't seen anything to indicate she had any upset from the change over.
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

Diesel_Dawg is offline Senior Member

I would check with the vet before assuming a low blood sugar based on a few coincidences & messing with it without some guidance. It's easy to think you are correctly diagnosing your pet based on internet research etc but let's face it, we aren't vets & that's why we take them to one. Don't expect PB to right his gut as it can be the culprit for diarrhea, not an aide to prevent it. Depending on the size of kong you use, 1-2 filled with PB sounds like an awful lot, especially if you are using crappy PB like Kraft, Skippy etc and not an all natural only peanuts variety - they don't need all the extra junk in popular name brand PBs. If you are feeding a quality kibble - ProPlan Selects (not the shreds) is a good one, he should be getting all the nutrients, protein and healthy sugars he requires, let his system settle with the new kibble before you try adding new stuff. Btw, you could probably be feeding an adult formula now that he is 8 mos, most people switch at 5-6mos.

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Agree that e should be on an adult to all life stages food at 8 months. I too would not assume that there is any issue with his blood sugar without a vet diagnosis. Peanut butter is very high in fat and sugar. I have one diabetic dog and never feed either of mine peanut butter because the one simply cannot have it.

You should be able to maintain normal blood sugar over a 24 hour period with 2 meals of quality kibble. If you feel he needs anything additional, add in veg like green beans. My diabetic dog benefits greatly from the addition of green beans as they take longer for him to digest and his insulin is used more gradually and his blood sugar stays in a normal range better.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

labgirl12 is offline Banned

Quote Originally Posted by shorT View Post
    I'm not sure if I should be concerned or not... My 8 month old Harley is sleeping... a lot.

I went out of town 2 weeks ago and left Harley with "papa", who took Harley to doggie daycare every day for 5 days straight. Of course, the pup was exhausted every evening from his full day of play and just slept. We've been back to the normal routine for the past 10 days and all Harley wants to do is sleep! He's eating, drinking and eliminating just fine, and is as affection as he has been (he's not that into PDAs, but will snuggle when he's tired). He's happy to go on our walks in the morning, and follow me around the house, but he just seems subdued. He's not as interested in fetch, or tug of war. He'll play for a bit, then "flop". My mom even noticed when she took him for a doggie play date yesterday.
    Is this a phase? Is he growing up? Or should I be more concerned?
    I think you should ask your vet for real PROFESSIONAL ADVICE, as most of these hags don't really know what they are talking about. In example: javasmom says: 'NUTRIENTS HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH AGING DOGS'

Be careful on who you take advice from. Good luck and god bless.